SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Sage User

Haali Splitter Buffer Under-run, what gives?

I'm trying to use SageTV with the Haali Splitter for everything but MPEG video. Whenever Sage is using Haali for splitting AVIs (whether they are Divx or xvid), I'm constantly under-running the buffer. I'm using FFDshow for audio and video (except for AC3 audio, which uses AC3filter). When I play a high action scene (the opening sequence to Samurai Champloo has been my benchmark, but it will underrun with any high action scene) encoded in Divx (~1200 kbps) with MP3 (~196kbps) Haali maxes out the bandwidth at 400 kBps (that's Bytes) and the video skips, badly. If I use WMP to play the video using Haali as the splitter, the bandwidth maxes out my wireless (~1.8MBps) until it fills the buffer (which I've set to 8 MB, btw) and it runs just fine.

To work around this, I start the movie I want to watch, and then pause it until the buffer has a chance to fill some. Then I watch my movie. This is kind of annoying.

Now, if I use the windows AVI splitter (I'm guessing its windows, it is on every windows box I have and Graphedit calls it "AVI Splitter") the video play ok. The only problem with AVI Splitter is that it causes the movie to skip every now and then. The skipping is different than with Haali though. With Haali, it was obvious it was an underrun (lots of stuff happens on screen, video skips) but with AVI splitter the skipping is more random and shorter. I get 1 or 2 second pauses maybe 5 or 6 times in a 2 hour movie.

Any thoughts on why Haali and Sage would limit download bandwidth? I've been frustrating myself with this problem for the last month.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Sage User

Bump!

I hate to bump, but I really do need help with this one. I'm completely stumped and I've been messing with it for a month now.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
are you playing them off a CD? I had something similar when trying to play back 720p files and it ended up that the dvd rom drive just couldn't keep up. If I went into haali's properties and set its cache to some obscene amount (like 200-400 megs) then it would work just like what you said for 10-15 minutes before it ran over the buffer. A new drive fixed it.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Sage User

I was playing them off a wireless G network, but have since moved to wired in preparation for a media extender. I just don't think the server can manage all that on the wireless. Never did fix the Haali problem, though.