SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 05-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Satellite TV Packages... Deals and Suggestions needed

I'm thinking about leaving broadcast basic cable television for that wonderful Digital feed from the sky! But I wonder if I could get some helpful insight and suggestions to help me make my decision..

Firstly, I live in Southern California, Zip 92544..

Secondly.. Are there any "Killer Deal" to be had out there? I'm on a very tight budget, but want at least the minimum HD package.

Thirdly.. Is one service superior to any of the others? I suppose that would be open to debate, but there may be some facts I don't know that make one signal better or more reliable than the next??

Anyhow, any pointers or suggestions or referrals to deals and such would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

I recently switched from Comcast extended basic to Dish Network's HD-only package. You get all of the HD channels they have for $30/month (not including premium channels). If a channel isn't available in HD, you don't get it. So I'll be giving up Comedy Central (until they get their HD act together), but gaining quite a few more channels.

It seems to be the best/cheapest way to get HD content, at least from what I have seen.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
Secondly.. Are there any "Killer Deal" to be had out there? I'm on a very tight budget, but want at least the minimum HD package.
The best deal going for HD at the moment is the DishHD package, $29.99, all the HD channels on Dish (save the premium movie channels, eg HBO etc) and nothing but HD.

Quote:
Thirdly.. Is one service superior to any of the others? I suppose that would be open to debate, but there may be some facts I don't know that make one signal better or more reliable than the next??
Dish and DirecTV smoke the competition in terms of HD, both have 3-4x the number of HD channels compared to cable in my area (66 channels on Dish, 89 on DTV).

For example with the DishHD package you could get, well I'll just direct you to http://www.whereishd.com, and you can punch in your zip and see for yourself. Suffice to say, I need to call Dish and switch to the HD only package, because the available HD channels cover essentially everything I watch.

One thing some will comment on. Many of the "new" HD channels don't broadcast a lot in HD, however one thing I think, but haven't really confirmed, is that even though it's not true "HD" the quality is way better on the HD versions, with their better compression, than the overcompressed SD counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enormous View Post
It seems to be the best/cheapest way to get HD content, at least from what I have seen.
Heck, to me it seems like about the best package out there. With a couple exceptions, the HD package has all that are worth anything, without any of the crap nobody cares about. The Dish HD package is as close as I've seen to what I would create if there were a true a la carte option.

Now if they'd just get Speed, the package would be complete
Old 05-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Sage User

dish HD

On this topic, I'm kind of leery about all the 'extra' charges I've heard of some people complain about on these plans.

If I were to have no telephone line (broadband connection only,) what would be an approximate *TOTAL* monthly fee for this? I heard someone say something about an additional 6.00 per month because it wasn't a 'standard package?' How about if I wanted a second receiver? Is that 7.00 per month?

Does anyone have any *real* cost totals for a month of the DISH HD package? I am curious.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by derringer View Post
Does anyone have any *real* cost totals for a month of the DISH HD package? I am curious.
I just happen to have my very first bill sitting here in front of me, dated May 22, 2008.

Code:
dishHD:                  $29.99
Additional Receiver:     $7.00
Taxes:                   $1.31
So no hidden fees so far!

As far as connecting to a phone line/router, I was told that since I got two Vip211's, I would not need to have either of them connected in order for them to phone-home.
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Additional Receiver: $7.00
Dumb question perhaps.. but I assume this gives you the ability to watch/record TWO different channels at the same time? Do you need an additional antenna, or is this simply a split feed into two different tuners?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
I assume this gives you the ability to watch/record TWO different channels at the same time?
Correct.
Quote:
Do you need an additional antenna, or is this simply a split feed into two different tuners?
I have one dish, with dual-cables coming out of it. One cable goes into receiver 1, the other into receiver 2. I am not sure if you could simply use a splitter to achieve the same effect. If you don't have it yet, I would just have the installer set you up for however many receivers you plan on having.

PS: If anyone is interested in signing up for Dish, PM me for a coupon code (they gave me two).

Last edited by Enormous; 05-29-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:07 PM
SageTVaholic

When I signed up (maybe 1 month ago?) with the dishHD package, they had a nice deal where you get a ~$40 credit on your first bill. The first bill I got was for the first two months, for $24. It's $29.99 + local sales tax.

I only have 1 receiver.

I called a couple of days ago to ask about adding an extra receiver, and they said it'd be $7 a month plus a one time $100 fee. I said no thanks to that.

btl.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Sage Icon

They REALLY need Speed Channel....F1, MotoGP, FIM & AMA Superbike are essential!

P
Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the information guys. I have one additional question on this topic, though:

Does the vip211 output a signal that can be brought into Sage without a HD-PVR? In other words, is there an SD-out on the box in any way, or is the Hauppauge HD-PVR or R5000 mod a necessity to get something out of it? I ask as a stop-gap measure, because I'd like to get this service, and just have it in SD until I get a Hauppauge HD-PVR.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Does the vip211 output a signal that can be brought into Sage without a HD-PVR?
Yes. The way most people do it is use the S-Video and composite audio outputs on the Vip211, and bring those into a regular analog Hauppauge encoder card. I'm bringing both of my 211's into the analog inputs on two HVR-1600's right now. I'm also using a USB-UIRT to control them.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Does the vip211 output a signal that can be brought into Sage without a HD-PVR?

Anyone have any idea?
The vip211 has composite and s-video output so if you have the right capture card you could get by until the HD-PVR is fully ready.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Sage Icon

On a somewhat related topic...

Where are the Lineups in sage defined? For Dish, I only get the choice of Dish National (it seems to include every channel in every language) and Dish Louisville (above plus SD locals). It would be sweet if there were ones for each of the teirs offered by the provider.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Sage Icon

DishHD

Anyone see a way to downgrade to dishHD only package on their websight?
It seems like you have to select one of their standard packages before it will let you select any of the HD packs...

Nevermind... I found it (if your looking, it's not in the HD section on the right column, but under Basig - American on the left column... Can I really survive without Spike, Speed and ESPNu???
Old 06-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Where are the Lineups in sage defined? For Dish, I only get the choice of Dish National (it seems to include every channel in every language) and Dish Louisville (above plus SD locals). It would be sweet if there were ones for each of the teirs offered by the provider.
It would be nice, but zap2it doesn't provide that info to SageTV so they can't present it. I just had to manually go through my lineup and select the HD channels. I made the selections on my server over VNC, because using the remote for 60+ channels gets old. Using a mouse it went by quickly.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It would be nice, but zap2it doesn't provide that info to SageTV so they can't present it. I just had to manually go through my lineup and select the HD channels. I made the selections on my server over VNC, because using the remote for 60+ channels gets old. Using a mouse it went by quickly.
Good call... so I left a friendly suggestion to Zap2it feedback email.