SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

Kitchen Computer + Remote Control

I want to control a computer in the kitchen with my Harmony 890 remote. I'm going to put the SageTV client on it so I can stream TV through it. I've narrowed my computer choices down to an AOpen MP965-DR and the Dell Studio Hybrid.

The AOpen has an IR receiver built-in, so I don't think it would take much to get that working--just load MCE codes in the Harmony. The Dell has an option for an RF MCE remote. That would be nice, but I have no idea if I can program the Harmony to control that. If not, what's the smallest USB RF or IR stick that I could use on the Dell to be able to control it with the Harmony?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Any particular reason for using a stand-alone computer vice just getting an extender? Seems a cheaper option, and comes with a remote.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yes, it's main roles aren't SageTV.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have both an 890 and a kitchen PC that is a regular computer plus sage PS (although I don't use them together the way you will be). The Harmony can be set up to control anything via IR, but cannot imitate RF commands. I don't think I've ever seen a universal remote that can do RF. If you want to avoid IR line of sight issues, stash the computer somewhere and use any old IR receiver with the 890's extender thing, which will make it "sort of" RF, as in it will work through walls although it still spits out an IR signal from the extender to whatever you are controlling. I have my kitchen pc in the basement using a vga cat5 extender via a cat5 cable that I pulled into a kitchen cabinet, and an lcd touchscreen mounted below the same cabinet. All the ugly noisy stuff is hidden away in a nerd dungeon downstairs.

www.eventghost.org for complete computer control with any IR remote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a universal remote that can do RF.
Well here's one that does both ir and rf: http://www.universalremote.com/produ...l.php?model=38

Also, with a usb-uirt and girder you can do just about anything with any remote. I actually use an old tivo peanut remote to control my kitchen computer and sage.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Well, I just ended up getting the AOpen with the built-in IR receiver. It would be nice if Logitech made an RF USB dongle for their RF line!