SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Sage Icon

CCTV/Surveillance IP Cameras

I'm setting up some security cameras and had 2 questions:

The power is the typical wall wart and (what looks like) 3.5mm 5v power plug - Where can I get an extension for this? I've seen them, but a search came up blank (cameras are not near any source of AC).

For 2-Way Audio, I need a powered speaker - what's a good choice? Can I use any walkman/ipod or computer speaker? I found this extension cable on Monoprice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ABS-_-81224002

Thanks,

P
Old 07-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Sage Expert

There's no standard when it comes to 3.5mm power plugs. Each product manufacturer seems to come up with a slight variation to the circumference of the outer barrel or center pin that forces the user to buy additional parts only from them.

Most people end up cutting the cable about 9 inches back from the plug and splicing in new wire, or cutting and adding in new connectors and creating their own extensions.

Radio Shack *used* to be the go-to place for adapter plugs (Male/Female) but you really need to have the plug in-hand to make sure it fits/works.

If you plan to use the cameras with wired Ethernet, some devices have built-in Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) options, and even if they don't you can purchase adapters that do the same thing.

--

Two way audio:
Your best bet would be to use a speaker made for outdoor use (non-paper cone). Try using a non-powered computer speaker first to see if you need it amplified. (Yet another wall-wart connection)
Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Sage Icon

It should actually be 2.1mm and are standard with all ~pro~ bullet and dome cameras.

I would get the adapter I hate it when a customer gets the warantee voided over and issue like this. Also it make upgrades and service a snap.

Use 18-2 wire for wire to power the cameras.

Right now I suggest Cat5 and baluns for analog cameras so you can trade to IP units as megapixel prices drop.

Best bet is a decent CCTV DVR, you'll wind up ahead in the long run.

You will need a mic with a preamp.

You probably will not need an amplified speaker.

It would probably be wise to also do some research at CCTVForum.com or PM me.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks guys, I knew we had some CCTV experts, but I forgot your screen names I'll check out that forum. This is really just so I can see UPS & FedEx when I'm in my basement shop (can't hear the bell), but I hope to branch out at a later date. I already think I can launch the viewer application with neilm's Dynamic Menu

Thanks again!

P