SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Sage User

Play on <other Sage device>?

Is there an import that provides the ability to play something on an extender or server from either the server or another extender? I can use the webserver to play something on either the server or an extender, so obviously the functionality exists in the server, I just need the interface on the extender or server.

Here's how I'd like to use it. I've got a Haupagge MVP whose audio output I'd like to connect to my whole house audio stereo. It's a very basic system with just a stereo connected to speakers throughout the house through impedance matching volume controls. If I could now use one of my HD extenders or the server to select what's playing on the MVP, I'd have a pretty sweet, simple, inexpensive setup.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Is there an import that provides the ability to play something on an extender or server from either the server or another extender? I can use the webserver to play something on either the server or an extender, so obviously the functionality exists in the server, I just need the interface on the extender or server.
Wow, who's on first?

In short, no, there is currently no plugin for controlling an extender from another extender for Sage, however, I do remember a command you could run with the Hauppauge software which would put the MediaMVP interface on the screen in windows, so you could control it that way, but I don't remember the details, and I am not sure if you can use it with it running the SageTV interface.

Why don't you just plug in your stereo to your HD Extender?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner View Post
Why don't you just plug in your stereo to your HD Extender?
The stereo that feeds all the speakers throughout the house lives in the utility room in the basement. The Hauppauge MVP would be in the utility room also, headless, with just the audio output connected to the stereo. I have 2 HD extenders, one in the family room and one in the bedroom. I would like to be able to use either HD extender (or the Sage Server) to change what music the Hauppage MVP is playing. Ultimately, I wouldn't need to go to the basement to change what's being played by the stereo, I'd have a very nice GUI for accessing my music library and I could control it from multiple remote locations.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Sage Icon

I have no ideas, but just wanted to note that it's an interesting idea. Probably lots of folks looking to repurpose an MVP, now or in the future.

Well, I guess I have one idea, but it's not really what you wanted: You could do this via the www site and a handheld (wifi enabled) computer/cell phone. Not the cleanest solution, but it would work. I think you can push playlists to the MVP.

Matt
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Sage User

A couple of other possibilities, if it were implemented in a way that would allow you to choose multiple "Play on <x, y, z>" destinations:

1) I could command it to play a movie on both my HD extender in the family room and the Hauppage MVP that's in the basement, giving me the audio through the ceiling speakers in the family room!

2) I could setup a sports bar style rec room with multiple sets and command the same program, maybe a recorded football game, be played on all of them at the same time.

Both of these should work as long as the feeds would be fairly close to being in sync.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Unfortunately I don't think it will help out with control from an extender but I've been using a cobbled together solution described here (Free Network Audio Sender/Multi Zone System) to pipe audio around the house.

Mick.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Why not use the webserver on a remote control/iPod Touch/n770 tablet, etc?

B
Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Why not use the webserver on a remote control/iPod Touch/n770 tablet, etc?

B
If you ship me one, I'll do that!

Seriously, though, nielm provided some insight on this in another similar thread (http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=36002). Looks like we should be able to do this in an STVi like I had hoped. I'm surprised it hadn't been done already.

Any volunteers?