SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Sage User

wake from standby via hd extender (or timer)...

hello there -

i'd like to have my server off during nighttime hours to save energy, etc. i thought of options:

1. set the server to enter standby after xx minutes;
2. use some kind of software timer that will make the server enter standby at xx o'clock at night and wake from standby at yy o'clock in the morning.

option 1 would seem to be ideal because some nights i might not use the system before xx o'clock or i might not want to watch something until well after yy o'clock in the morning. so i tried it and it works fine at the server, but it doesn't seem to work with the hd extender. when i power on the extender, it doesn't wake the server from sleep.

question #1: is there a way to wake the server from the extender?

question #2: if the answer to the above is "no," can someone point me to a plug-in or other (preferably free) software that will cause the server to enter standby at a certain time and wake at another specified time?

thanks,
tu
Old 04-21-2008, 04:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have just started experimenting with this also.

Do you have Wake On Lan enabled on your network card. If not this is a good basic expalnation.http://lifehacker.com/348197/access-...th-wake+on+lan
I am running vista and I can get the server to wake up when I hit the power button on the extender, however, the server takes so long to respond that I get sent to the "No Sage Server found" screen. After a few seconds the server is shown and I can highlight it, click on OK and everything is fine. I would be OK with this to save well over 3/4 the electricity that my server consumes but it confuses my wife so this isn't an option.

How about:

A batch file that pings a website every 20 minutes. Have this loop say 12 times to keep the server up for 4 hours. You could set the server to go into standby after 30 minutes of inactivity. Use task scheduler to run the batch file at say 7:00 pm and the server would run until 11:00. It shouldn't standby as long as a show is being played or recorded.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Sage Expert

Hiya

I bookmarked this the other day, but have not had a chance to download or try it yet (dont blame me if it eats your data!)

http://wakeup.noel-danjou.qarchive.org/

Cheers

Tim
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,