SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Sage User

Best DVD Series setup

Long time BeyondTV user but now an extremely happy SageTV user. The Media Extenders really made it work for me and other (important) users in the house.

What is the best way to view multi-episode DVD's.

Currently I use DVDfab to rip to standard DVD folders and leave them alone. Works great with Sage so it's (almost) good enough. Watch the movie then delete the folder to make room for the next. Very fast and efficient at least for single movie DVD's,

Doesn't work so well with multi-episode DVD's. Currently watching The Sopranos from the start (great show).
The full DVD method has 2 problems. Takes up 7+ gigs and I have to use the Menu and Chapters. Means I have to remember which chapter is next (ok for one show but we have 5 series running).

There must be a better solution. Could use DVDShrink and make one instant play, no menu DVD. Or could transcode to DivX or some other singe file but it so sloooow.

Love Sage. Don't miss BTV but still keep a running version to see what they're doing.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think your only option is to rip each episode to a file and then when you are in the video library they will have a watched flag. Try doom9 or videohelp for a tutorial.

I shouldn't take more than overnight to convert a full disc.

flips
Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Actually Multi-Disc support is now possible if you use the SageMC UI replacement add-on. Check out this thread for information on how it works. It isn't integrated into SageMC yet, but it's very easy to add it in.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31989
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Unfortunately, my changes do not impact the issue the OP is having. He is more concerned about disk space and playback management with multi-disc DVDs. He actually deletes his shows off the hard drive after watching them. The multi-disc support I've added only allows for easier import of DVD profiler data for each of the separate discs.

-Mike
Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Sage User

A solution for now

Forgot that you can use DVD Shrink to reauthor single episodes VOB's. Then you only need to change the file extension to mpg so they're recognized as single videos. Also had to redo everything because I forgot to uncheck the "split VOB into 1gig chunks". Unchecking leaves the full episode intact.

All can be learned from www.afterdawn.com if you don't mind digging. Are you ready to take the test grasshopper?