SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

It sounds like you may be specifying the path incorrectly. Go into Network and browse to where you want to go. Now look in the address bar just above the windows. It should have the UNC path spelled out correctly for you. The machines also need to be in the same workgroup too.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Sage User

No, it does not work. I can enter the UNC path for folders on the Sage server, but if i try to add from another machine it says it does not exist. I tried adding in the folders menu, I've tried adding in the netwrok menu, I even tried adminstrative shares. I can open the folder by typing the UNC path in the start -> run window.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Are you sure all machines are in the same workgroup? Same user with same password exists on all machines? There's people using UNC paths to all the machines on their network with Sage server. I have 12 UNC paths for music, photos and videos. You're missing soemthing somewhere. And you don't want to use administrative shares. Share out a folder or drive, give uses the right to edit the files and it should work.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Sage User

I very sure it's the same workgroup, I can see it in the workgroup computers. Like I said, I can browse the other machine by entering the UNC path in the run menu. It's only sage that states it does not exist. I don't have the latest Sage version, mine is 6.something. Are there any known issues with previous versions?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

No. UNC was used way back in version 4 I believe. If they are in the generic workgroup I would go to each PC and change it to something new. And create a new user at each PC. Create a new share and try again.

Gerry
Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

I must admit, having read through this thread I wonder if there is something going on within sage under certain circumstances. I too have had this happen to me, but each time it has occured I have gone back through my network tree and made my way down to the suspect share to confirm access and then back to sage and it has been ok.

I'll try this again to see if I can reproduce it but if I remember correctly you have to drill down the tree from 'View Network Computers' and not just the 'My Network Places' view, something then occurs and sage can see the share.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Sage User

I had this problem and read through this article and it made me realize that sage is of course running as a service on my media machine. If your service is running as "SYSTEM" then grant system read access in your share permissions. Adding them shouldnt be necessary on your file permissions as they should already be there.

To be clear, there are two sets of permissions. There are the windows file permissions and then there are the share permissions. By default "everyone" has access on the share but I had to explicitly add "SYSTEM" and then I could play my DVD files from the mapped UNC path off the server.

On my client machine I mapped the share with a credential of a local account on my sage server and also had to add those permissions to the directory on the share but that comes after adding the import directory via UNC path.

Hope this helps. I realize you can't use "SYSTEM" to connect to a remote machine. I was doing this to be able to watch DVD's stored on my sage server. Alternatively you might need to change the credential the service runs as to map a remote share.

P.S. this was on vista ultimate.

Last edited by David HVR1600; 05-17-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

David HVR1600:

Thank you! Thank you! Thanks you! Thank you! Thank you! Thanks you!

I went on to the forums to post a question since I was having a similar issue with seeing network drives... I was able to load it (after I fixed a workgroup issue, thanks again to this thread) but I would never get any videos updated. Here's the error message from the log:

Seeker is starting the library import scan...
Error communicating with server:java.lang.NullPointerException
Cleaning up c/s connection
NetworkManager CommunicationFailure : /127.0.0.1:1042 type=1
MsgSend thread terminating for /127.0.0.1:1042
Seeker has finished the library import scan.

I was struggling with this for quite a while... till I saw your comment on this thread. This is on Windows XP, so I'm not sure how to allow SYSTEM to use a share... Instead I changed the user in the Service control app to be flips instead of system. Then it worked like a charm!

Is there any down side to not running the service as SYSTEM?

Thanks again,
flips
Old 12-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Sage User

Re-open the problem with Win 7

Hi all,

I am having the same problem, but with Win 7, not with XP!

Receiving the same message "Invalid directory" and have been following all of the above, including adding 'SYSTEM' to the full read/write rights.

STV sever is on my office computer, video files are on the living room computer. I can not point to the video's in the living room computer from either the server, a client, or placeshifter.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks

Rainer
Old 12-04-2010, 07:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you running Sage as a Service? Does your clients/Sage Server/etc. all have the same user name and password? and did you add that username and password to the Sage Server Control panel?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Sage User

Good question

That is a very good question:

I am assuming that it is server only because STV in my office is the main install, and I have not seen any purchasable STV which is named "Server". So, I may be falling into the trap of 'ass - uming'

I truly do not know - don't remember seing a choice for server versus non-server. Could you tell me how I find out?

Did some more reading in the User Manual (truly a lot of info for a newbie) and noted that one has to be a server in order to run a client, which apparently is determined during set-up.

Is there a way for me to find out if it is server, and, if not, can I change it or does it have to be re-installed?

Rainer
Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Sage User

partial answers

OK - went back into the installation wizzard - I had allowed Server to be installed. Then went into the STV Setup, under Server, made sure SERVER was enabled, Med. Extender and Placeshifter were Enabled.

What I have not found was a Server Main Menu. So, I could use help with that still ( I do have an STV Service Center running, but do not think this is synonymous with Server, correct?),

Almost forgot: although most of my machines are Win7, I do have one XP unit upstairs - and, STV Video Location wizzard DOES see this computer under the network without stating it is an "Invalid Directory"

Rainer

Last edited by rfeyer; 12-04-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 PM

I'm gonna chime in here because I just found this thread, and have been fighting my way through adding a share on my NAS (a Netgear ReadyNas) that videos are stored in, and it simply wasn't working, and I was getting the "Invalid Directory" error. I'm running SageTV as a service on my Windows Home Server box. Here's how I fixed it.

First, in the WHS Console I created a new user, named sageuser

I then went to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, and edited the properties of the SageTV service. On the Log On tab, I selected This account and entered .\sageuser, set the two password fields to the password I had entered for this user, and then clicked OK.

On my ReadyNAS, I added a new user, sageuser, and gave it the same password as the one I used on my WHS box.

On the ReadyNAS, I enabled CFS security on the share, then made sure that sageuser was a write-enabled user.

I then entered \\NAS1\Video as a new video import directory in my SageTV client (the share name on the ReadyNas) and it worked.

So I'm a happy user...I suspect that the advice "make sure the user is created on all boxes, and make sure the user has the same password" is useful information.

Last edited by TriangleRocks; 12-29-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Sage User

I'm posting a link to this thread http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...840#post472840 because I had a similar issue

Hope it helps somebody

BB