SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Sage User

Now that I have the HD100 I have some questions.

Guys,
I've been recording HD TV for the last month in anticipation of getting the HD100. Now that I have it, I have a question about watching live TV. I use the HVR1600 for my HD recordings. My question is if I have a TV show scheduled to record I can't watch live TV right? I would need another tuner card to do this right? What happens if you select Watch live TV during a recording?

* essentially the same question; merged *
Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Well the 1600 is a dual tuner (HD and SD) right? so as long as you were recording HD and tried watching SD, you should be okay. Otherwise Sage will warn you if the action (watching tv) is going to interupt a recording, so as long as you don't ignore those warnings you should be fine.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Sage User

Recording strategies

I have a recording strategy question. Say I want to be able to skip commercials when watching Lost. Can I have Sage setup to record lost and then start watching the recording while it's in the recording process? Another way to ask is, does Sage allow the ability to watch an in progress recording?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Doesn't matter if the file is being recorded or not as far as Sage goes, so yes, you can watch something currently recording. That's all live TV is.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
I have a recording strategy question. Say I want to be able to skip commercials when watching Lost. Can I have Sage setup to record lost and then start watching the recording while it's in the recording process? Another way to ask is, does Sage allow the ability to watch an in progress recording?
Absolutely, without question, 100%.

I'll take it a step further for you --> You can even have the commercial-skipping add-on software run while the show is recording... So, once it detects commercials, you'll see it immediately in the interface...even if you're in the middle of watching the show.
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
Another way to ask is, does Sage allow the ability to watch an in progress recording?
That's exactly what Live TV mode is in Sage. There is no separate Live TV buffer; it's just an unscheduled recording that you happen to be watching at the same time.

Caveat: this does not work with MPEG1 format, which can't be played back until the whole file is written. So if you're recording analog TV at one of the low quality settings that use MPEG1, you won't be able to timeshift while the show is still in progress. But at MPEG2 quality or better, it just works.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Sage User

So my plan is to auto start Lost at 8:00PM then halfway into the show select the file that is recording and watch it. Sound right?

Last edited by Rupp; 03-06-2008 at 06:15 PM.