SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-26-2008, 11:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Music Feature Enhancements

This is an open post about possible music feature enhancements that could be added to the core SageTV product. I'm actually having pretty good success with the music player (now that Andy pointed out I was using the MP3 tags incorrectly), but I'm thinking of what additional things could be added to SageTV to make it even better. I'll throw in my thoughts, but I'd be interested to hear from others on what they'd like to see added/changed for music in SageTV:
  • Add additional tag fields to sort by via mp3 tags
  • Ability to read and use the popularimeter tag. This tag could open up the ability to rate songs right from SageTV as well as import the ratings tags from iTunes (using a manual export from the iTunes database and import into the popularimeter tag).
  • Smart playlists much in the way iTunes uses smartplaylists
  • Ability to use other visualizations like the ones used for winamp for instance.
Anyone have any other thoughts?

See post #35 for my latest update - it focuses on the big things that need to happen from SageTV first

Last edited by Brent; 06-13-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

1. Vizualizations.
2. Error-free tag parsing.

I'd like to see these basics handled before any "golly-gee-wiz" items.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
1. Vizualizations.
2. Error-free tag parsing.

I'd like to see these basics handled before any "golly-gee-wiz" items.
Don't forget the ability to play a CD!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Haha!

I gave up on that years ago.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Sage User

-gapless playback
-replaygain support
-smart playlists (support for multiple genres per tag...semicolon seperated)
PLEASE!!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Sage Icon

I'd like a MusicIP plugin. I use this in winamp all the time and love it.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Sage User

I would consider streaming web radio as a music feature. It would be nice to have an interface to this so others could put together stvi's to accommodate web radio thru the mvp's.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Haha!

I gave up on that years ago.
I guess this is where I point out that there's a plugin for that. I realize the OP is talking about core features, but I think you're going to be waiting a long time for things like popularimeter to make it into the core. Plugins (in my opinion) are the way to go for most of the proposals on this thread.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I guess this is where I point out that there's a plugin for that.
Never noticed that plugin before and I like the looks of it - does it work in SageMC by chance?

Quote:
I realize the OP is talking about core features, but I think you're going to be waiting a long time for things like popularimeter to make it into the core. Plugins (in my opinion) are the way to go for most of the proposals on this thread.
You're probably right Greg about it taking a while for new core, music features. I agree most music enhancements can and probably should happen as plugins, but there are probably a few things such as tag support and better parsing that would be good improvements to the core.

Last edited by Brent; 02-26-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Sage Icon

Personally I really like the way Vista Media Center presents music. Basically it is albums grouped by whatever you select. That is, groups of cover art separated by vertical text that is the current group (particular artist, year, composer, etc.) and the whole thing scrolls horizontally. I was thinking about making an import to try to reproduce this but I think there would need to be support in the core/Studio first for vertical text and variable-sized table cells.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
I was thinking about making an import to try to reproduce this but I think there would need to be support in the core/Studio first for vertical text and variable-sized table cells.
Is that something that would have to be added in the core or could it be done in SageMC?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Never noticed that plugin before and I like the looks of it - does it work in SageMC by chance?
The UI portion is tailored for the stock STV. There was talk at one point of porting it to SageMC, but I'm not a SageMC user and don't know what the status of that is. The underlying WMP interface library should be callable from any STV, so all that's needed is some UI code to display the track list.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

What I'd really like to see is automatic tag population and coverart downloading.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

My MP3 collection consists of a lot of single songs and relatively view entire albums so what I'd love is an option "Minimum Songs per Album" which would say how many songs you had to have off an album before it appears on the album page. Currently I find this page too noisy to be useful.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
What I'd really like to see is automatic tag population and coverart downloading.
Yep, I'd second that one too! Just going through this process manually now - it's taking FOREVER!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
SageTVaholic

While I agree that a lot of this can/has been accomplished by users via Studio I think music is important enough of an area that Sage needs to start dedicating some resources to improving this stuff themselves.

My list of music improvments is very short since I don't have any mp3's...

1) Net Radio
2) Visulizations

If these two things were added (and they both worked on the HDextender) i'd go from never playing music through Sage to using it every single day.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 02-29-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post

1) Net Radio
2) Visulizations
I have to second this request, especially visualizations. Is there a plugin that provides more than the two basic included with STV?
STV 9.1.5.683 / Vista Premium / Compaq Presario SR-5550F / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 / nvidia GeForce 8400GS / 3 GB DDR2 / 500 GB SATA / 1 TB SATA / M2N68-LA Motherboard / Hauppauge HVR-1250 / Hauppauge HVR-1600 / 2 x STX-HD100 / OTA / Channel Master FLATenna 35
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Any chance music improvements are on the radar for SageTVs next release?
Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
Yep, I'd second that one too! Just going through this process manually now - it's taking FOREVER!
I third. I'm having a tough time getting all the cover art populated and correct. Seems like a lot of my MP3s are not showing the correct cover art, or else they don't have a file associated and therefore some other (wrong) picture shows.

Quote:
While I agree that a lot of this can/has been accomplished by users via Studio....
Except some of us have no clue about using Studio...

Quote:
....1) Net Radio
2) Visulizations
If these two things were added (and they both worked on the HDextender) i'd go from never playing music through Sage to using it every single day.
Exactly what he said. Currently I have only used SageTV's music for showing off to friends ("see, with this setup, I have my entire MP3 collection available on the TV!"). I don't tell them that it's too clumsy right now for me to even use regularly. But having streaming net radio through the HD extender and a more convenient music interface would make it my music-playing gadget of choice.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

We are back here again...
I currently use J River Media for my music daily.
If Sage could integrate some of the items above I could use it for
music daily.
Visualizations would be key.