SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Sage Icon

Can't set secondary reference in 6.3.8?

I am trying to create an STVI for the default STV but can't seem to make a secondary reference stick (I am using the 6.3.8 RC of Sage Client). For example, if I create a new menu, and add the MainMenuTheme to it as a secondary reference whenever I save and reopen it always is a primary reference? I can then go to the Theme Organizer and set the MainMenuTheme back to the primary reference and it looks like it works but then if save and reopen it always reverts back??
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

The primary/secondary status is not retained when the XML file is saved, so there isn't a way to set one reference as the primary & have it stick that way. (Maybe try removing it from one spot & re-adding the reference there... maybe it uses the last-added place as the primary, but I never tried that.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm, I don't understand. It sure seemed to work before. Otherwise what is the point of setting a primary or secondary reference? This means my import will carry all the primary references which seems to go against the whole point of having imports reusing existing themes, etc. in the STV??
Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Sage Icon

This has always been an issue with Studio and STV's - it is not new to 6.3.8. Setting the primary reference is only a temporary thing. When Sage is closed and re-opened they revert to the default (I forget exactly how it works, but I think Sage tries to make the last reference the primary). It's possible that you didn't notice before, because you just got lucky and Sage's default ordering happened to be the way you wanted it.

Others have griped about this, but for now at least, this is the way it is. There are some tools that can help though...
If you use the "Studio Tools" Plugin: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=128 there is an option to "Normalize References" and also one to "Set as Non-Primary" that do help when trying to collect code to be exported when creating an STVi.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 02-06-2008, 03:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Hmm, I don't understand. It sure seemed to work before. Otherwise what is the point of setting a primary or secondary reference?
Mainly for when you're working on it, so you know where the primary is, there's no functional difference if something is a primary or a secondary reference.

As for exporting, I don't think it makes any difference either, I think it exports everything even if you've got a "secondary" reference in the menu you're exporting (but I haven't payed that close of attention to that in particular).
Old 02-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for all the comments. I assumed that the primary reference carries all the "code" with it but maybe this isn't true? That is, when I export the STVI (I am using the Studio Tools add-on) I assume that if it is the primary reference then all the widgets underneath it will be exported as well and then when I reimport it will change the existing primary reference to refer to the import's primary reference? Or is the "referenced widget chain" stored somewhere else in the STV and even a primary reference is also a reference to that location?

I'm not sure I'm making any sense. Basically I want to know if I export my STVI with the theme as a primary reference, will it overwrite the existing theme in the STV on import (concerned about overwriting any changes in the default STV)?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Greg will have to chime in with what exactly his tools do with those, but I believe they just export references to anything that's linked, and then attempt to reconnect on import.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

When you prepare to export Studio code using GKusnick's Studio Tools, you create a new menu widget to contain all of your new code. Any widget tree that is set as a primary reference in your menu widget will be exported. Any secondary references in your menu widget will be given a reference on export so that it can be re-linked to the original code in the STV on import.

So basically before export, all new code should be set as a primary reference and all links to existing code should be set as secondary references. HTH

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Sage Icon

Well, the "Normalize References" seems to mostly get me what I want as far as secondary references. Strange that didn't run into this at all before. Thanks, all.