SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Multiple Tuners - Can Sage do what BTV does?

I currently use BTV with a server and multiple PCs as clients. The server has one PVR-150 and one PVR-500, using the composite inputs (one on the 150 and both on the 500) with three DirecTV D12 receivers. I use Patterson USB-to-Serial cables to control the channel changing. I also have two HVR-950 USB tuners for OTA HD. As far as the DirecTV receivers, when a client connects it simply connects to the first available receiver of the three. Same thing with the OTA HD tuners. If all are in use or recording, it gives the client the opportunity to attach to an existing stream and watch it. The OTA channels are re-mapped from like 13.1 to 10131, so the do not conflict with the locals over DirecTV (no HD locals on DirecTV where I live). Overall, it's a pretty nice setup for DVR. Like everyone else, I need a stable integrated interface my wife will not bitch about when I'm out of town and she can't watch TV.

Will Sage meet these needs? From everything I've read, it is the way to go for the integrated product. I've invested a few hundred dollars in BTV, but I don't consider that to be a lot if I can reduce my support costs
Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Pretty sure SageTV will do all that you want with a bit of tinkering and notably using EXEMultiTuner to control your set top boxes.

I'm sure there are people on here that can elaborate more but your best bet is to give it a 21 day spin.

P.S. be nice to your wife... Atleast she has a reason to "bitch" and she's not just bitching to bitch.

Cheers and good luck
Remote: Media Center Remote / Keyboard
Case: MCE-701 w/ 7-Inch Touchscreen
Old 01-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwolf View Post
Like everyone else, I need a stable integrated interface my wife will not bitch about when I'm out of town and she can't watch TV.
Mr. Wolf:

I cannot provide the exact answer, but it should be able to be done. I can tell you as to the wife, as I posted on here and on snapstream, my wife now uses the SageClient as her first choice over the STB. I am going to be ordering another USB-UIRT IR emitter and move the box by the tv to the setup...why, because she loves it.

It is me that felt more frustrated because I knew how to do what I wanted to do in BTV, and had to stop thinking how would I do it with BTV. But once you install SageMC, I think from the UI point of view, it works very well.

If you need any help in the transition, let me know.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I currently use BTV with a server and multiple PCs as clients. The server has one PVR-150 and one PVR-500, using the composite inputs (one on the 150 and both on the 500) with three DirecTV D12 receivers. I use Patterson USB-to-Serial cables to control the channel changing. I also have two HVR-950 USB tuners for OTA HD. As far as the DirecTV receivers, when a client connects it simply connects to the first available receiver of the three.
Yes.

Quote:
Same thing with the OTA HD tuners.
Yes.

Quote:
If all are in use or recording, it gives the client the opportunity to attach to an existing stream and watch it.
Does that even if they're not all recording.

Quote:
The OTA channels are re-mapped from like 13.1 to 10131, so the do not conflict with the locals over DirecTV (no HD locals on DirecTV where I live).
You won't need to remap, 13.1 will be listed separately from 13.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like Sage will do what I want AND it might resolve the wife's bitching. And yeah, she bitches just to bitch. She gets pissed because of the monthly DVR fees, then that she can't watch what's recorded on one, on another, I solve all that then she complains about when the BTV has an issue. She forgets that no matter what you're using, be it a STB, DVR, or whatever, that they all lock up and need reset from time to time. I'm sure Sage will have a problem here and there, too. If I can simplify the UI and navigation, perhaps that will alleviate some of the tension. If this does not do it, I'll get her some Xanax.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
If this does not do it, I'll get her some Xanax.

I say go with it, AND get the xanex, it'pll definitely make your life a bit easier :P.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
..She forgets that no matter what you're using, be it a STB, DVR, or whatever, that they all lock up and need reset from time to time. I'm sure Sage will have a problem here and there, too...
Turning the server into a *dedicated* Sage box which does nothing but record and stream - and replacing PC's with media extenders will improve stability of the whole system considerably.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Turning the server into a *dedicated* Sage box which does nothing but record and stream - and replacing PC's with media extenders will improve stability of the whole system considerably.

This is the real secret to achieving ultimate pvr WAF.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

What Falvius said.

My wife's bitch factor dropped down to nothing after I got rid of the pc clients and switched to the media extenders. They are worth every penny!

Get the HD unit, it is faster and more stable than the SD extenders.

P.S Use svideo not composite - much better picture quality
Old 01-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Yeah, the machine is a dedicated box for the media server. The media extender does everything except play DVDs through SageMC, right?

I have it set up with the trial, currently, and everything seems to be working pretty well. I have logistics to work out with the remotes and such (I really like the Firefly and want to keep it) and I have a Harmony 890 in my main TV room. I've been working with the LM Remote Keymapper, just have to get it all working with Placeshifter.

The last time I looked at Sage I didn't care for it, but I was also a biased (and simple) BTV user at the time. I think by the time I got everything set up with Snapstream, my knowledge was far more advanced and it made the Sage setup easier, not to mention that I'm already liking the software better.

Thanks for the tips!