SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Tuner already in use by another client?

I have one tuner and two tv's connected. If someone is watching something on one tv it appears I cannot take control of the tuner from the other tv unless I close the other client. Is there a fix for this?

In MCE I would get a message stating that there is a viewing conflict and it would give me the option to take control of the tuner.

I assume there has to be a work-around for this problem since I can't imagine having to have a tuner for every tv.

Please advise.

Terry
Old 12-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Sage Expert

I'd like a cure for this problem too. The kidz always shut off the TV, leaving the encoder monopolized.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post
I have one tuner and two tv's connected. If someone is watching something on one tv it appears I cannot take control of the tuner from the other tv unless I close the other client. Is there a fix for this?
within Sage there is no fix for this. You could set up nielm's webserver plugin to give you remote contrl of the other client and shut it off if you want to.

Quote:
In MCE I would get a message stating that there is a viewing conflict and it would give me the option to take control of the tuner.
That would be nice, but how do you determine who is allowed to take control? Can your kids kick you off the tuner if they want to watch something?

Quote:
I assume there has to be a work-around for this problem since I can't imagine having to have a tuner for every tv.
Best long term solutions is more tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy View Post
I'd like a cure for this problem too. The kidz always shut off the TV, leaving the encoder monopolized.
If they leave the client running after they turn off the TV, you could install flachbar's auto-sleep plugin. It would automatically put the client to sleep if nobody had touched the remote within a set period of time.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

This really sucks!!!

Looks like I am forced to stay with MCE. The hole purpose of a media center is to not have a STB for each tv but from what it sounds like with Sage you must. This is definetly an area MCE has sage beat hands down.

Looks like I just wasted money on a sagetv license along with a HD extender. I was just getting use to how things worked and planned on deploying 5 more extenders throughout the house. Looks like I will have to switch to the over priced V2 extenders. Damn I was hoping to move away from MCE.

Terry
Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
within Sage there is no fix for this. You could set up nielm's webserver plugin to give you remote contrl of the other client and shut it off if you want to.
This is not practical for the average user to be able to do.

Quote:
That would be nice, but how do you determine who is allowed to take control? Can your kids kick you off the tuner if they want to watch something?
Sure, If I am not around they can change the channel. If I want to change it back then I will. Or add an option to password lock the feature. There's a lot of ways to handle it. As mentioned, MCE handles it very well.

Quote:
Best long term solutions is more tuners.
This is not practical. There is a lot more costs involved in this option.

Quote:
If they leave the client running after they turn off the TV, you could install flachbar's auto-sleep plugin. It would automatically put the client to sleep if nobody had touched the remote within a set period of time.
This is also not practical. If I go from one room to another I have to make sure to go back and turn off that extender. I have a 3 story house and it's crazy to have to run around to 6 different systems to make sure they are a sleep or off.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will send an e-mail to support and hopefully they make this a priority. I can hope anyway.

Terry
Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Sage Icon

I coudln't even begin to imagine only having ONE tuner, and planning a 6 extender network. I have 7 tuner system now, and we STILL have conflicts occasionally (I need to update my sig, it's not accurate as far as my setup anymore ). I would have at least as many tuners as I expected to have extenders running at once, any less and you'll be having issues forever.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Sage Icon

Couple things...

First, after a little while with Sage (and comskip) your family will cease to watch live TV so this will be less of an issue (unless you have the menu vidop option set to always).

Second, I think sage will popup a window when any activity would cause a tuner that is recording to change (Tuner XYZ is currently recording "Whatever" do you want to record "Whatever else" instead?)

I am confused by your comment... since clients do not control the tuners, the server does. Do you have two machines running Sage Mediacenter? What tuner do you have and what machine is it in? Something seems odd about your configuration.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
I coudln't even begin to imagine only having ONE tuner, and planning a 6 extender network. I have 7 tuner system now, and we STILL have conflicts occasionally (I need to update my sig, it's not accurate as far as my setup anymore ). I would have at least as many tuners as I expected to have extenders running at once, any less and you'll be having issues forever.

My test box has one tuner. My production box will have 3. I currently have mce with 2 tuners and 5 extenders. We do not run into that many conflicts since we watch a lot of recorded tv.

It really doesnt make sense to allow once client to tie up a tuner if it is left on. I am sure there are many times when tuners are left on and no one is watching tv. Why not allow another client to take it over with out having the need to run around the house to shut down the different clients? Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Also, what happens when you have a scheduled recording and another client has control of the tuner? Will it give you the choice to change the channel or not record?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Couple things...

(unless you have the menu vidop option set to always).
I will check this setting. Maybe this is my problem.

Quote:
Second, I think sage will popup a window when any activity would cause a tuner that is recording to change (Tuner XYZ is currently recording "Whatever" do you want to record "Whatever else" instead?)
I have not seen this message.

Quote:
I am confused by your comment... since clients do not control the tuners, the server does. Do you have two machines running Sage Mediacenter? What tuner do you have and what machine is it in? Something seems odd about your configuration.
I am also confused by this statement. I am not sure what you are talking about.
I have a test server with one tuner and a HD 100.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I have not seen this message.
Maybe it is different for a single tuner system.
What do you see when you try to "take control"?

Quote:

I am also confused by this statement. I am not sure what you are talking about.
I have a test server with one tuner and a HD 100.
I guess I was just confused by the terminology of clients "controlling" the tuners. In sage, the server controls ALL tuners and is responsible for conflict resolution. I assume it would be similar to trying to watch something live when a tuner is already in used for a recording.