SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Sage User

HDTV Built-In tuner (Samsung 50" DLP) VS. Vbox 150 Tuner in PC?

I finally got the 7600GT Ko EVGA card installed. I can definatly tell a difference in frame rate from that of the 6150 onboard. I slowed the cpu down to 2ghz and has been running smoothly ever since.

However there is just one more issue. The picture quailty when compared to that of the built-in hd tuner within the Samsung DLP TV is not completly there yet. Seems as if the quality, clearness on the built-in tuner is much more precise and clearer than that of the Vbox 150 and the HDMI connection.... Is this going to lead back to the video card of the Vbox 150? I have played around with the TV's settings such as cool, warm, normal, contrast etc... Just doesn't seem like what I'm adjusting will make the picture any clearer and I'm thinking it is back to the video card or the Vbox tuner.... I would like to tweak the settings if possible to get the video outputing from the HTPC looking as good as it does when directly connected to the built-in tuner.... Anyone else have this same issue?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:42 AM
Sage User

I wouldn't think it would be a problem with the Tuner card. And your video card should be more than capable of giving you good HD picture quality.

So there's a few other questions you need to answer before we can help you.

What are the rest of your hardware specs? What decoders (Purevideo, Cyberlink, etc.) are you using? What resolution are you outputting to your tv at?

My guess is that its got something to do with your decoders/settings.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Sage User

Thanks. I think your on to something.. After doing more reading/searching on here and the AVS forums I think it is a decoder setting/s. I'm using the Nvidia Purevideo decoders. Have it set to Automatic for the De-interlacing and finding out that it should be probably set to smarter to take affect of my 7600GT card. The picture quality is very close, just not close enough for me... I'm outputting 720P to the TV, as I believe that is the native resolution. I have tried 1080i which does not seem to make a difference in the playback of HD content, just makes the desktop of windows inusable because of the super small text and even makes the desktop have a picture that is not stable, jumps around/jittery.

Specs are:

AMD64 Athlon 3200 overclocked to 2.5GHZ
1GB RAM
MSI-K8N-FID motherboard
Dvine 601B case
NEC dvd burner
Nvidia Purevideo decoder version .233
Evga 7600GT KO
Vbox 150 tuner
Hauppauge 150MCE SD tuner
2 - 300GB SATA HD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue9
I wouldn't think it would be a problem with the Tuner card. And your video card should be more than capable of giving you good HD picture quality.

So there's a few other questions you need to answer before we can help you.

What are the rest of your hardware specs? What decoders (Purevideo, Cyberlink, etc.) are you using? What resolution are you outputting to your tv at?

My guess is that its got something to do with your decoders/settings.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Sage Icon

Any reason why your overclocking a media pc? Not usually recommended, due to artifacts, etc in video...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalg
Thanks. I think your on to something.. After doing more reading/searching on here and the AVS forums I think it is a decoder setting/s. I'm using the Nvidia Purevideo decoders. Have it set to Automatic for the De-interlacing and finding out that it should be probably set to smarter to take affect of my 7600GT card. The picture quality is very close, just not close enough for me... I'm outputting 720P to the TV, as I believe that is the native resolution. I have tried 1080i which does not seem to make a difference in the playback of HD content, just makes the desktop of windows inusable because of the super small text and even makes the desktop have a picture that is not stable, jumps around/jittery.

Specs are:

AMD64 Athlon 3200 overclocked to 2.5GHZ
1GB RAM
MSI-K8N-FID motherboard
Dvine 601B case
NEC dvd burner
Nvidia Purevideo decoder version .233
Evga 7600GT KO
Vbox 150 tuner
Hauppauge 150MCE SD tuner
2 - 300GB SATA HD's.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.