SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Can Sage Transcode Music?

The HD Extender does not have a codec for WMA Lossless and most of my music library is in that format. Is Sage able to transcode music on the server as it sends it to the Extender? I am hoping that there is a setting to force all music to WAV over the wire.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Sage Icon

I'm gonna bump this because all my music is also in WMA lossless.

S
Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM
SageTVaholic

www.foobar2000.org can convert WMA loseless to FLAC which the extender can play.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Sage Icon

I have several thousand CD's already ripped and encoded. It would max my cpu 24/7 for months. Not a good option for me

S
Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Likewise. I want to transcode the music on the fly not convert it. Sage will transcode video on the fly. How about music?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage can auto-transcode music (it transcodes FLAC and OGG to high bitrate MP2 audio for the MVP)

BUT it cannot play WMA lossless on an MVP, so the same probably applies to the HD extender.
A quick test shows that FFMPEG (sage's transcoder) does not recognise the WMA lossless format at all, and googling confirms that FFMPEG only supports basic WMA.9, and badly at that!

Last edited by nielm; 12-20-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Nielm - thanks for the info. Its not good news as it sounds like it is unlikely that we'll get WMA lossles transcoding unless FFMPEG adds it.

Another solution would be to add a UPnP music renderer to Sage. A properly implemented UPnP renderer tells the UPnP server what formats it is capable of playing and the server transcodes appropriately.

I have Sage running on WHS which serves up my music library via UPnP. The Roku attached to the stereo in the living room doesn't support WMA lossless so the server transcodes it to WAV on the fly. Works great!

Anyone know of a UPnP plugin for Sage?

Mediahome
Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 AM
Sage User

Would you please elaborate on how a mediaMVP can play uncompressed files
with sagetv as a server? I could convert my WMAs to FLACs but then what?

Do I need to install something as a transcoder to my sagetv install? Or flac should work "out of the box". I have sageWMP already installed.

Thanks a bunch. (BTW your plugins are excellent. Well done).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
Sage can auto-transcode music (it transcodes FLAC and OGG to high bitrate MP2 audio for the MVP)

BUT it cannot play WMA lossless on an MVP, so the same probably applies to the HD extender.
A quick test shows that FFMPEG (sage's transcoder) does not recognise the WMA lossless format at all, and googling confirms that FFMPEG only supports basic WMA.9, and badly at that!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:45 AM
SageTVaholic

FLAC will transcode out of the box to a MVP.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

FYI, Sage's FLAC implementation for HD extenders is buggy.
I don't know about the MVP, but both the HD100 and HD200 have serious problems with playing FLAC music. Using FF and RW within songs causes the extenders to hang. While playing playlists, the extenders will eventually hang.
Very frustrating, almost makes me want to get a SONOS system (almost).

It's a known issue to Sage since the HD100 was first released (I've logged a couple of support incidents with them) and they do not have a fix yet.