SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Low power server needs help for placeshifter?

Hi,

I want a new 'electricity bill friendly' setup. Currently there is a 2 TB raid array happily spinning 24/7 with some dvd's on while it's being used only a couple of hours a week + running SageTV in service mode.

I have an old EPIA SP 13000 which I plan to give a Hauppauge 350 (only 1 PCI slot) and 2 new Hauppauge USB2s. I found out the hard way that Hauppauge HVR 900 is supported but is a software encoder which is a no-no with this board. The CPU usage is 5% for recording with the 350 and over 90% with one HVR900. So hardware encoded recording in service mode should work.

However there is one thing I'm not really sure how to approach - when I travel I'd like to see the home news through placeshifter. Obviously the EPIA is not capable of that. I bought an IP power switch so I'm able to power up another PC that can assist with the recoding.

So is there a way to have a network-encoder-placeshifter-server?? (which Sage doesn't mind going on and off?).

Thanks for your thoughts on this,
Jan
Old 12-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Got a reply from Sage support - currently the software does not support this.

However I thought of a workaround - Nielms webserver can stream so a powerful enough computer with sagetv client and webserver on the client can do the trick.