SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Sage User

SageTV Media Extender: includes software?

Does the SageTV Media Extender include the software? ... so all I need is a card such as the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE and an ethernet connection to have an operational system?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cte View Post
Does the SageTV Media Extender include the software? ... so all I need is a card such as the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE and an ethernet connection to have an operational system?
First you need the SageTV software. THAT is the core component that installs on a PC and use a tuner card to record your TV programs and gives you a way to play your music, photos and videos from that PC. The Sage TV Nedia Extender is a hardware device you plug into your network and attach to your TV so you get the same interface and capability of watching your recorded TV programs, videos, music and photos in another room. You need the server program, a PC and a tuner card and a network before you even consider the Media Extender. The server includes the software to have the Media Extender work with Sage. You will just need the Extender and the license for it to work. Read the Sage website to understand the entire concept.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Sage User

Sorry I was not more clear. I understand the need for a PC, etc. I want to know what comes with the SageTV Media Extender bundle ... does it include the SageTV software?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Sage User

I see the description of the bundle to include a license to communicate with the SageTV server. Do I need SageTV server software package and SageTV software for controlling the tuner? And do I need to purchase these in addition to purchasing the SageTV Media Extender bundle?

Last edited by cte; 09-29-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Clarify the questions
Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

If you're talking about this bundle or this one, the answer is no, those bundles do not include the server software.

Quote:
This product includes the necessary Client license to communicate with the SageTV server.
You will still need to buy this separately.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Sage User

Do I need to purchase SageTV Tuner software and SageTV Server software?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know what you mean by "SageTV Tuner software". You need SageTV Media Center, which controls your tuner and does the recording and also includes the server software for the Extender.

If you don't already own a tuner device, then obviously you'll need to buy one of those too. There are a couple of software + tuner bundles available here and here, if that's what you're looking at.

If you asking about some other product or bundle I haven't mentioned, maybe you could provide a link so we know which one.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Sage User

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the clarification.

I already have a PC with ethernet. Here is what I think will cover my needs: 1. Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE PCI Interface 1042 Tuner Card ($70), 2. SageTV Media Extender ($110), 3. SageTV Media Center Version 6.2 ($80). Look ok? Any suggestions for changes?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:58 PM
SageTVaholic

You might want to look at the Sage+Tuner bundles instead of getting Sage and the tuner separately, eg:
http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SB

But other than that, yeah, that's everything you need.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Look at pcalchemy.com, they have great bundle prices (e.g. PVR-150 (no remote) + SageTV 6 + Nvidia Decoder for $119.95). I bought all my stuff from there.

Dirk
Old 09-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Sage User

stanger89

Not sure that would work for me ... my TV is in a different room from the computer.

Dirk,

I see that the pcalchemy includes a NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder Bundle ... something I had not included before. This is something that makes the SageTV software work better?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

the bundle would work fine for you. You need the server software and a tuner, buying in the bundle would save you money. YOu wouldn't need to use the remote on the tuner card if you didn't want to. Besides that remote could be used on the extender, so you'd have 2 remotes. Either as a spare or as dueling-remotes.

The bundle stanger showed you was the new HVR-1600 which is basically a PVR-150 with an addditonal digital tuner for OTA or QAM reception. If you don't wan't/need digital, then the http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SB combo with the dual-tuner PVR-500 would be another good option.

And you won't benefit from the Purevideo Decoder if you are going to do all your watching from an extender. The decoder is needed if you are going to watch off of a PC.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Sage User

If you're intending to do all your watching on the Media Extender (MVP), then you don't need the PureVideo or any other decoder on your PC. The MVP has a built-in hardware decoder.

If you want to watch TV on your PC monitor or connect a TV directly to the PC's video card, without an Extender, then you do need a decoder. SageTV Media Center comes with a basic decoder, but it can't play DVDs and doesn't take (much) advantage of hardware acceleration on the video card. The PureVideo decoders will take advantage of the advanced decoding hardware on modern GeForce video cards (6000 and newer series). They also work well with any brand of video card that is DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration) compatible.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Sage User

Thanks to all for the excellent advice!
Old 09-29-2007, 03:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
stanger89

Not sure that would work for me ... my TV is in a different room from the computer.
Just to clarify, I was suggesting that bundle instead of SageTV + PVR150, not as a replacement to the MVP, you'd get that bundle plus the MVP.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Sage Expert

cte,
I'm hoping you understand the concept here. SageTV is really several components with many, many add-on options. The core components are sold by Sage, or their distributors; and the user base (read: fanatics) here on this forum are always coming up with ways to extend the usefulness by either writing and sharing code or suggesting third-party wares.

You'll need the following to capture local over-the-air or cable TV programming for playback on a PC, external TV, or a remote Media Extender connected to a TV:

1. an MS-Windows, Linux or Apple MacOS PC. [see SageTV for minimum configurations]
2. dial-up or always-on internet access for EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
3. a single, or multiple, Capture_Card/Tuner(s)
- these can be internal, external (usb, firewire, etc), or network (LAN)
4. Cable service or antenna feed to the Capture_card/Tuner.
5. Sage Media Center server (*).
6. Hard Drive storage (formatted as 64k chunks) to hold your recordings, estimate 2GB/hr for analog TV channels or >6GB/hr for HDTV programs. (some of these sad folks have over a terrabyte just for tv recordings, well, and maybe some DVDs)
7. either a:
- built-in or added video card for display to a computer monitor.
- built-in or added composite video card for display to a TV.
- built-in or added DVI video card for display to a Hi-Res TV/Monitor.
- and/or #8

8. optional:
- Hauppauge MVP Media Extender (wired cat-5 or Wifi connected to same LAN) for SD playback to a TV/Display with video-in (*)
- another PC on the local LAN running SageTV_Client (*).
- another PC on the internet running SageTV_Placeshifter (*).
- a seriously screwdrivered PS2 game console; a PC or any hardware client that can access drive-shares and play .mpg content (for the really desperate).

(*) These products provide access to the SageTV graphical interface and setup/control over the server functions. Generally, any device that records or plays back through the SageTV graphical interface requires a separate license from Sage.

Also note: you can run the recording PC headless (doesn't have a display) and put it in an out-of-the-way spot, but you may periodically need to connect a display or take control of it remotely for administration/updates.

Last edited by Conejo; 09-29-2007 at 07:09 PM. Reason: updated to add Mac OS
Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Sage User

I purchased:

a. The PCAlchemy bundle: PVR-150 (no remote) + SageTV 6 + Nvidia Decoder.

b. The SageTV Media Extender.

1. After installing the PVR-150 card, I installed the PVR-150 driver from the Sage Bundle CD (from PCAlchemy) using the New Hardware Found Wizard.

2. The Installation Notes on the Sage Bundle CD indicate I can install the Nvidia Decoder by selecting the "Install DVD decoder" option from the menu. I noticed that the 2nd CD was labeled "Nvidia DVD Decoder", and decided to install this instead (assumed it was a newer version). After I installed the decoder, I noticed the following text on the CD (Works with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition ... for system integrators only). Not sure what this means ... plus I am running Win2000. Any opinions on the steps so far? Should I have installed the other decoder?

3. The next section in the Installation Notes states that if I am using a Streamzap or Firefly Remote, I should install the applicable software prior to using the SageTV software. I don't see either of these words on the Media Extender remote (has the name Hauppauge), I presume I do nothing beyond installing the SageTV software.

4. Is there a preliminary test I should run before I install the SageTV software?

5. I don't see any instructions regarding the SageTV software. I presume I just download the software from the SageTV site.

6. I received an email with a SageTV Media Extender License Key. Is this all that is needed, or do I also need at SageTV software key?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
2. The Installation Notes on the Sage Bundle CD indicate I can install the Nvidia Decoder by selecting the "Install DVD decoder" option from the menu. I noticed that the 2nd CD was labeled "Nvidia DVD Decoder", and decided to install this instead (assumed it was a newer version). After I installed the decoder, I noticed the following text on the CD (Works with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition ... for system integrators only). Not sure what this means ... plus I am running Win2000. Any opinions on the steps so far? Should I have installed the other decoder?
If you aren't going to be watching Sage on the Server, but only on the MVP, you don't need to install the decoder. the decoder is to improve playback on your server's video card, which you won't be using.

Quote:
3. The next section in the Installation Notes states that if I am using a Streamzap or Firefly Remote, I should install the applicable software prior to using the SageTV software. I don't see either of these words on the Media Extender remote (has the name Hauppauge), I presume I do nothing beyond installing the SageTV software.
Yup, ignore that since you are not using a remote on the server. THe extender remote is to control the extender.

Quote:
5. I don't see any instructions regarding the SageTV software. I presume I just download the software from the SageTV site.
Yup, just DL and install the SageTV Media Center software, and then use the serial number you received from the bundle.

Quote:
6. I received an email with a SageTV Media Extender License Key. Is this all that is needed, or do I also need at SageTV software key?
The emailed extender key gets entered on the server as an extender key after you have already used the main SageTV software key.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Sage User

I started to install SageTV Version 6.1 ... get a message the DirectX 9 is required. My understanding is the DirectX 9 is for WinXP or Vista. I am running Win2000.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I started to install SageTV Version 6.1 ... get a message the DirectX 9 is required. My understanding is the DirectX 9 is for WinXP or Vista. I am running Win2000.
It can also be used with Windows 2000.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.