SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:40 AM

v.6.1 vs. 6.2 problems

Hello, post 1 here. I downloaded the trial of SageTV Friday (it was still 6.1 way back then). I tried it out with both a Mac Mini (using the WinTV PVR USB2) and on Windows XP (using the Plextor 402U: very sad this HW is not support for the Mac version, but thats not the issue for this post). Over the weekend I decided the WinTV PVR was not up to snuff and that XP with the Plextor was superior.

Monday, I downloaded Placeshifter for my MacBook Pro to see how that worked (I did not notice the version change at that time). This worked great. So after running this setup I was happy (with the one exception that I would have preferred using the Mac Mini) and bought the bundle on Tuesday. Enter all the keys and life is good, goodbye ReplayTV.

That night a friend of mine (who is also giving this a go) chats me "is 6.2 new? my download says 6.1." I check my download, and sure enough, we were out of date. I'm thinking, a dot version, surely minor tweaks and bug fixes; wont take long. I wait for a commercial break....

An hour after that commercial break I was back to a clean install of v.6.1 and watching TV again.

Here is what happened. I figured that an in place upgrade should be something the software would handle (in others I didn't think I needed to uninstall 6.1 first). Shut down Sage (though the service was still running) and ran the installer. It seemed to go smoothly. I even noticed that the installer shutdown the sage service. cool. I run sage, no picture no sound. hmmmm. I check the video sources, looks good. I go back to live TV. I see a 'No Signal' box. Go to menu, back to live. Now I see a nasty error box that says there is a problem 'setting hardware compression' and make sure I have the latest drivers install for my hardware.

I reboot. Same problem. I remove my video source and re-add it. Same problem. I change and try all the different video options (VRM9, Overlay, Decoders, etc.). No good. I uninstall SageTV and reboot. I install 6.2 again. Same problem. I uninstall sage again and this time also delete the SageTV folder. I reinstall the plextor drivers and reboot. XP reports plextor is working. I install 6.2 one more time. Run through the wizard. Same problem.

I uninstall sage and again delete it's folder, reboot. This time I install 6.1. It all works. Not sure what to think here, except that dot version can take long. At this time I'm not planning on contacting support, well, because I have 6.1 working and I just don't want to fool with it for awhile. However, based on any feedback to this post I may change my mind. I'd rather not be fearful of any future upgrades.

Note: After talking with my friend this morning, he also had problems with 6.2, but they were different in nature. He would hit live tv and it would immediately push him back to the menu. He said on the 3rd try it would work. It also mentioned some weirdness when programming his remote (he uses one of those usb-irt things). Said every time he hit a key to program it, sage would go all the way back to the main menu, so he had to navigate all the way back to commands for every function. Minor, but irritating. Anyway, he has asked me to get him a copy of the 6.1 installer, because he deleted his. (He is using the plextor TV100U with XP bootcamped on a mac mini)

regards.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

It looks like a related issue was posted here at just about the same time. You should bring this up with tech support.

Edit: There is a DLL update to try in that other thread.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.