SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:09 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Activation is linked to the hardware on the system where you install the Linux version of SageTV. If that hardware changes (not just a re-installation of Linux), the license may need to be reactivated. If that happens, you'll need to contact SageTV.

- Andy
Sweet, so switching distros shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Sage User

Received a reply from support stating the key was reset, so I'm activated now. I activated on multiple hardware platforms but not concurrently (in all fairness, this fact would be difficult to know) causing the key to be deactivated. I overreacted to the initial email (guilty). Anyone reading this thread should know that I no longer have issues with support and still recommend this product.

Since this is technically OEM software, activation on multiple hardware really should be considered acceptable use of the software. Surely, as an OEM provider, you would not know exact hardware and software configurations without extensive testing. I know, for me, it will happen again: plan to test on laptop hardware with external USB PVR's and desktop hardware with internal PCI and external USB as well as the latest beta in both configurations.

Anyways, back to the testing - looking forward to seeing the beta in action, now.

Last edited by sgraves66; 09-11-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraves66 View Post
Sorry, really want to rant. I've spent a lot of money on sage licenses: 4 client, 1 server and 1 linux server license. There's no excuse for this level of support. Accuse me as much as you like, but let me activate my ONE license. I've never had it installed on more than one machine at a time anyways - even if I installed it on 1000 machines in my home, what difference does it make? There's no way I could use it on that many??? 4 bedroom house is standard - i got the client licenses for that. How many servers would i need? Sage support needs to learn how to do the math.... Even so, I'm only actively using 2 client licenses and 1 server. Right now, I'm over-licensed.... This really, really sucks, sagetv folks....
Having read this entire post, I must say, it is sad that, one year after purchacing/activating my SageTV license that we, the supporting community of paying customers are still experiencing the -same- problems with this software. SageTV software is great, but members of the board please note: A product is only good as it's level of comprehensive support. We all have excuses for the things we don't do in life. 'Because it's OEM' just seems weak to me...

I made one post a year ago and no-one at STV has responded yet. Hmmm. Their choice, tells -me- a lot.

Andy, your frankness in this matter is greatly appreciated. I'm only firing at those individuals who think it's okay to get the $$ and run. It's not okay...

sgraves66 you are not alone my friend. You can hack linux so you will fare well. I'm sorry you purchased all of those licenses. There are other products that offer superior support so indeed you do have a choice.

Concerning the undocumented firewall ports from prior post, I found that port 11371 was used by gnu-pg. I'm sure I was trying to verify something that was downloaded since gentoo is source only...

happy hacking!!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Ignoring your continued misunderstanding about what "OEM" means in terms of free support (if you want full support, then buy one of the non-OEM versions)...
Quote:
I made one post a year ago and no-one at STV has responded yet. Hmmm. Their choice, tells -me- a lot.
I tried to figure out what you are talking about, but you have no posts from a year ago and have been a forum member for less than a year. You don't even have a post that hasn't received a reply. Finally, it is specifically stated in multiple places that this is not a support forum -- SageTV's support does not monitor it & thus there is no promise of a reply from SageTV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Sage User

Andy,

Pleeze (lol). Same problem sir, okay, 9 months ago. SVT needs to step up their game. I want to run it on linux so it should work right? If all I have are 'the docs' then STV needs to make sure those 'docs' at least get me up and running right? Why are you just now adding port 8000 to 'the docs' sir?? Documentation is half the product. I hacked my way online with a paid license only to have my Wizard.bs file mysteriously disappear a month later. Did they take 10 minutes to write a script to back up the critical files yet? Is it in the docs sir? You see? You know what I'm saying. Now what reason have I to pay for a future version OEM or not? None yet, but I still watch this thread with hope that it gets better. STV software is good, but it has got to get better! C'mon who's not listening?