SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Sage User

Unable to activate Linux edition

Your license key will be activated. Press enter to continue

License Key File: activkey
Public/Private Key Generation Directory: .
Loaded SageTV's global public RSA key.
Establishing network connection to the SageTV License Activation Server...
Connected...data was sent...reading back activation key...
Error with license activation: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 400 for URL: http://download.sage.tv:8000/linuxactivation

This happens every time I try to activate. Is the site down or has the page location changed?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I would send an email to support.

B
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Sage User

make sure your firewall allows access through these undocumented, unpriviledged ports. they don't tell you this and it will fail every time = frustrated and #i$$ed. here is what i eventually found: the tv-listing (epg updates across port 7760, key activation over ports 8000 and 8018 and something else over port 11371. good luck hacking linux...
Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I'll add port 8000 to the firewall port docs, but port 11371 seems to be used by some other app. 7760 is already in the list of ports.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I'll add port 8000 to the firewall port docs, but port 11371 seems to be used by some other app. 7760 is already in the list of ports.

- Andy
gee thanks, i guess. Maybe an in-depth discussion of critical path process at the next 9:00 will give somebody a clue...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

- Andy
Andy,
I have an entry in my Sage setup notes that I also had to open (outbound) port 8018 on my external firewall to get everything working with Sage:

7760 (SageTV TV Listings)
8000 (SageTV License Server)
8018 (SageTV - Unknown)

Is 8018 used by Sage or did I add it in for no reason? It would have been something very early on, like registration or EPG setup or something.

--John
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
Is 8018 used by Sage or did I add it in for no reason? It would have been something very early on, like registration or EPG setup or something.
This FAQ and p. 216 of the PDF manual list ports used by SageTV. I will check to see if 8018 is used in a different way by a Linux installation, but the docs I have say it is used to contact the Locator ID server when you want to use that to find your home server when you are at a remote location. (The Linux UI is a Placeshifter client.)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Sage User

I opened a ticket with the support system. Apparently, re-installing it more than 4 times is a no-no. Didn't realize this during the original purchase. Tried it on several different configs with different pvr's (pci/usb) as well. (Guilty of spending a lot of money, but it's a pass-time). Ran into quite a few bugs and scratched it. Guess they think I'm trying to steal their software - kinda sad. Linux is experimental in my mind - I develop, so re-installing OS's and different distro's is sometimes a monthly, even weekly deal. Still no resolution, tho. Just built a new gentoo 2007.0 server - really would like to try it out again. I did purchase it... It's already been close to week after contacting them - sent 2 angry emails, now I guess I gotta wait another week. Just want to activate it and even try the beta - so I got 2 more activation attempts. Given this level of support, I'll have to wait and see if it's allowed....

Last edited by sgraves66; 09-08-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Sage User

Sorry, really want to rant. I've spent a lot of money on sage licenses: 4 client, 1 server and 1 linux server license. There's no excuse for this level of support. Accuse me as much as you like, but let me activate my ONE license. I've never had it installed on more than one machine at a time anyways - even if I installed it on 1000 machines in my home, what difference does it make? There's no way I could use it on that many??? 4 bedroom house is standard - i got the client licenses for that. How many servers would i need? Sage support needs to learn how to do the math.... Even so, I'm only actively using 2 client licenses and 1 server. Right now, I'm over-licensed.... This really, really sucks, sagetv folks....

Last edited by sgraves66; 09-08-2007 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:02 PM
SageTVaholic

There is a 4 activation limit on the linux version? Yikes, I am not sure I like that too much. I am running Ubuntu today, Gentoo last time, thinking about going back to Gentoo though..

I wonder if they have indecisiveness protection..

B

PS If it matters.. 2 Windows server licenses, 1 Linux server license, 2 client licenses, 5 PS/MVP licenses

Last edited by bcjenkins; 09-08-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Sage User

Who knows, maybe the support guy I'm dealing with had himself a slew of hacked registrations to sift through that day. Nevertheless, just let me activate my purchase and deal with me later. Obviously, it takes them several days to respond, so, come on.
Normally, I'd never pay for software that runs on opensource platforms, but sage has a good product - best linux solution to date even with the bugs i encountered last time. It's just not a good practice to accuse your customers of stealing _ESPECIALLY_ with software which runs on top of such a dynamic platform like linux. I'm not the only one who rebuilds systems with such frequency. Give me some credit - i'm not stupid enough to request support if i've illegally registered a copy (plus they have my billing information and credit card information).
I even opened a support case a few months back regarding the bug i encountered. I tried working with them for a while, but eventually gave up - they really didn't seem interested in trying to fix it. No big deal - i just quite using it for a spell and decided to revisit it now.

Last edited by sgraves66; 09-08-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
This FAQ and p. 216 of the PDF manual list ports used by SageTV. I will check to see if 8018 is used in a different way by a Linux installation, but the docs I have say it is used to contact the Locator ID server when you want to use that to find your home server when you are at a remote location. (The Linux UI is a Placeshifter client.)
Sorry about that, I didn't see it there down in the Placeshifter section.

--John
Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
There is a 4 activation limit on the linux version? Yikes, I am not sure I like that too much. I am running Ubuntu today, Gentoo last time, thinking about going back to Gentoo though..
Anyone know what Sage's official "activation/reactivation" policy is? I haven't been bit by this, but it would be good to know if I am about to. If I reinstall on the same box, but new OS, do I need to reactivate the license? I assumed I could just move the sage directories and/or license files over, but perhaps not.

Based on this and earlier issues with installation, I've already made a note NOT to start an upgrade Friday thru Sunday, just in case. :-)

--John
Old 09-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
On second thought, I'm pretty sure I saw port 8018 traffic before I ever ran the Placeshifter. The packet was coming from my sage server (Linux), and I only use Placeshifter on my Mac, so it I'm not convinced it was PS that generated the packet.

And I'm sure that my normal pre-Sage Linux setup doesn't generate traffic on this port out my firewall - I would have noticed it on the firewall logs before now.

--John
Old 09-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Sage User

When dealing with licensed software, I can understand putting safeguards in to prevent unauthorized use of a product. This product has been around long enough - if you're worried about misuse, work on the licensing mechanism. Don't make you're customers wait for weeks just to work through a really simple issue like this. Dude, I just want to activate the software I purchased from you....
If you impose a restriction such as 4 activations only, you should at a minimum make this information readily available to potential / current customers prior to time of purchase.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
On second thought, I'm pretty sure I saw port 8018 traffic before I ever ran the Placeshifter. The packet was coming from my sage server (Linux), and I only use Placeshifter on my Mac, so it I'm not convinced it was PS that generated the packet.
As I mentioned above, port 8018 is used to contact the Locator ID server. It was probably used before the PS UI ran because I suppose the server registers its Locator ID over this port too.

- Andy
Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Sage User

Well, still waiting on top-notch support to get back. Tried activating it again - no luck. Sure wish the question regarding the activation policy would be answered: I see the Sage folks chiming-in and strategically avoiding the issue at hand.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraves66 View Post
Sure wish the question regarding the activation policy would be answered: I see the Sage folks chiming-in and strategically avoiding the issue at hand.
You've asked this several times in this thread now... are you expecting support to answer here? This forum is not the place for official tech support.

And, if you are referring to me -- I am not tech support & don't pretend to be. I've asked what the activation policy is, but I can't change anything about it for you.

- Andy
Old 09-10-2007, 05:00 PM
Sage User

Quote:
You've asked this several times in this thread now... are you expecting support to answer here? This forum is not the place for official tech support.

And, if you are referring to me -- I am not tech support & don't pretend to be. I've asked what the activation policy is, but I can't change anything about it for you.

- Andy
Nor do I blame you. Unfortunately, no one else is listening and I'm unable to find a contact telephone number to escalate further. I understand that this is not the correct place for support, but these difficulties aren't off-topic for this thread. I do, however, suspect that you may work for the same company - could be wrong.
Since you've asked, what is the activation policy? Must have missed that response.

Last edited by sgraves66; 09-10-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraves66 View Post
Nor do I blame you. Unfortunately, no one else is listening and I'm unable to find a contact telephone number to escalate further. I understand that this is not the correct place for support, but these difficulties aren't off-topic for this thread.
Phone support is not available.

I didn't say you couldn't post here. SageTV for Linux is an OEM product & was made publicly available only after many requests for it. Technically, since it is an OEM product, the forum is the proper way to get help from other users since you will get limited Linux support directly from SageTV's tech support. But, other users can't help with such issues as licensing & so on. I just meant that it doesn't matter how much you mention a license reactivation problem on the forum, no other users will be able to solve it, unless it had happened to be something like a firewall problem, as mentioned by someone above.

Quote:
I do, however, suspect that you may work for the same company - could be wrong.
That's no secret -- I've posted previously (not in this thread) that I work for SageTV doing various jobs, but tech support isn't one of them. I just try to answer questions on the forum that I happen to have an idea about.

Quote:
Since you've asked, what is the activation policy?
Activation is linked to the hardware on the system where you install the Linux version of SageTV. If that hardware changes (not just a re-installation of Linux), the license may need to be reactivated. If that happens, you'll need to contact SageTV.

- Andy