SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Sage User

Does this work with the latest release, 6.2.10 I think?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think all this is working as it should in 6.2.8 and up without any modifications to the base install. There is an excrutiatingly long wait during the channel dectection process for it to find all the QAM channels though... at least it was on my side as all the channels were found very high in the channel range but nothing before hand.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:46 AM
Sage Expert

I just downloaded the latest drivers from Hauppauge and now it crashes SageTV. I had to remove it as a source. It was that bad. At the time I was playing around with different decoders but I do not think that is the problem. Others work including the HDHR. I just saw another post of someone reporting this. I will try and get him to post here. I may have to try rolling back the drivers.

I also had debugging enabled by chance. I have attached the file and it clearly stops each time at the last line.

I will submit a trouble ticket after a little more investigation.

Anyone else?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Which "Latest Drivers" did you install ??

I've been running the 3.4d1 drivers (Posted June 12 07) with my 1800 & am not having any problems. (This appears to be the latest drivers that are posted for the 1600 too)

Note: It's VERY important that you follow step 2 of their instructions when installing new drivers !!

Step 2 - Remove the previous software version (if necessary)
If you had previously installed the WinTV-PVR-1600 in your PC, browse to the folder you just extracted to (e.g. through My Computer) and locate a file called hcwclear.exe
Run HCWCLEAR.EXE and choose the options Remove All WinTV Drivers and Applications (Total Removal) and Search All .INF Files for Conflicting Hardware.
Note: wait until the black box has disappeared of its own accord before proceeding
Server: Intel DH55HC MB, Intel Core i5-661 CPU, 4 GB Corsair PC3 10666 RAM, 2 Ceton InfiniTV 4s (Comcast), RocketRAID 2740 16PORT SAS 6.0Gb Controller, 2.56TB TV Storage (4 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 6.0Gb Drives), 8.5TB Movie Storage, Norco 4220 Case, Corsair HX750 PS, W7 Professional (Windows Media Center), TunerSalad Foot Long, My Channel Logos, & MYMovies.

Last edited by 95TBird; 09-23-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I was able to get the 1600 to find open HD channels. But here is my issue. CBS-HD and ABC-HD come in great on my 1600, but NBC and FOX both struggle, most times only getting some audio or some garbled video.

Now my QAM tuner on the Panny TV gets all the HD channels fine.

I recently re-built my system for HD (E4300@2500MHz, 2GB RAM, 8500GT), and since ABC and CBS are fine, I dont think it is a hardware issue for FOX and NBC.

Also, i recently added a powered splitter where the cable comes in, and I also removed all splitters and ran outside cable straight to the 1600 for the strongest signal, and i get the same result on FOX and NBC no matter if split or not (that tells me it may not be the signal).

So, I am left to believe it is the 1600 somehow not being able to get FOX and NBC for some reason. The signal should be strong enough, I have the hardware, and I know they are open since the QAM on my TV gets them (no cable box in between). Any thoughts?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Sage User

Remapping help

OK, I got this to work but struggled with the remapping. Let me help you so you don't waste time like I did.
  1. Setup the regular cable tuner first.
  2. Now setup your QAM tuner.
  3. Choose a different, but close program guide for your QAM tuner. Do not choose the guide that you use for your standard channels! For example, if you subscribe to premium cable, choose basic for your QAM.
  4. Scan for channels.
  5. View the channels found and write down what they are (just the ones you want to watch/use though).
  6. Remap to physical channel. Search through and find the call sign for that channel and select it. Write down the channel number they display too.
  7. Remap to logical channel number. Use the channel number you wrote down in the last step.
  8. Last and the most important step that kept screwing me up...

Go to the channel setup of your regular cable tuner and deselect the channel that you are going to watch digital version of. For example, deselect ABC, NBC and CBS.
What this last step does is it allows your remapped channels to show up in the guide and replaces the standard def versions. This way when you go to watch NBC, you'll get the HD version through your QAM tuner.

I hope this helps because while the directions posted at the top of this thread were helpful, the last step kept screwing me up because I just didn't think to do this.

Last edited by visiontim; 09-24-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Sage Expert

I had the latest and did what you said but now I get NO channels. Maybe because when I go into a channel I used to get and try to view it I get this error: "Watch request failed. ERROR (-12): There was a null object requested to playback", I press OK. Just in time for the Fall season.

Not sure if this is relevant but I am using DirecTV EPG for cable. Also, I have a PVR-500 and HDHR installed as my config shows.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
I had the latest and did what you said but now I get NO channels. Maybe because when I go into a channel I used to get and try to view it I get this error: "Watch request failed. ERROR (-12): There was a null object requested to playback", I press OK. Just in time for the Fall season.

Not sure if this is relevant but I am using DirecTV EPG for cable. Also, I have a PVR-500 and HDHR installed as my config shows.
DirectTV is satellite. Is that going to work? I think you need to find another neighboring zip code with the same cable company and stations/channels.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
DirectTV is satellite. Is that going to work? I think you need to find another neighboring zip code with the same cable company and stations/channels.

Gerry
I have no more. When I choose my cable provider and a different zip code, it gives me the same EPG. Then I disable them, run my scan only to find out I have messed up another tuner. This is very frustrating.

Not to mention, making it the correct EPG Digital still did not work. Same channels. Now down to 6.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM
Sage Expert

Anyone else getting signifigantly less QAM channels with the 1600 vs. the HDHR?

I have the 21 version. The cable source for both is from the same distribution splitter. Not only that but Sage reports 100% signal strength on the channels I do get.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Sage User

Long time Sage user, but entirely confused/frustrated about QAM support with the 1600 in Sage TV v6.2.10.

I can get several clear QAM stations via Happauge's WinTV 2000 app. I cannot get Sage to find most of those stations despite repeated attempts. Signal strength in WinTV seems OK (~75%). I followed the explicit directions on the Happauge site for installation of the 1600.

I selected a different cable source for the digital tuner as per the recommendations herein (Cox analog for the analog tuner, Cox digital for the digital tuner).

Is there a relationship between the EPG selected and how Sage scans for digital channels? Or more specifically does Sage need a certain EPG selection to look in the "right place" for QAM channels? I ask because in my experimentation it appeared that the length of time of the search and the number of channels Sage searched changed (dramatically) as I changed the EPG selection. Any other ideas or pointers?

Also/or, is there a way to manually add the channels that WinTV can "see" to Sage? The option seems available in Sage, but I have not been succesful in doing so. Can anyone translate the channel description from WinTv to Sage's format?

Advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wes Simmons

Last edited by gatorwes; 09-28-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Sage User

After Sage found a few channels, I was able to manually add the missing stations to Sage. But, in general, the resulting video on a poweful client machine stutters and the client eventually crashes with a black screen. Is this a signal strength issue? I fed the Sage server box with the cable source as it enters the house and got only a slightly stronger signal (according to WinTV 2000). Also, watched TV using the cable normally feeding the Sage server box with no issues. If it is a signal strength issue it seems only Sage is affected. Would a signal booster provide any help? Other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorwes View Post
After Sage found a few channels, I was able to manually add the missing stations to Sage. But, in general, the resulting video on a poweful client machine stutters and the client eventually crashes with a black screen. Is this a signal strength issue? I fed the Sage server box with the cable source as it enters the house and got only a slightly stronger signal (according to WinTV 2000). Also, watched TV using the cable normally feeding the Sage server box with no issues. If it is a signal strength issue it seems only Sage is affected. Would a signal booster provide any help? Other thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Might want to try using the Nvidia decoder and overlay for playback. I get stuttering, and high cpu usage with the Sage decoder and VMR9.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
Anyone else getting signifigantly less QAM channels with the 1600 vs. the HDHR?

I have the 21 version. The cable source for both is from the same distribution splitter. Not only that but Sage reports 100% signal strength on the channels I do get.
Anyone have these issues above? I have started a support request from Happuauge but gotten no where right now. They wanted me to check with my cable provider. I explained that I have the same cable provider they have in Hauppauge, NY. I also get all of these channels QAM on the HDHR.

It may have something to do with the 6.2 release because I did not have this problem with an earlier build.

However, it could be the 1600 drivers because I have reinstalled them as well. I can reinstall a third time but I also have a PVR-500. So ever time I run the HCWCLEAR it clears my 500 drivers as well.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Sage Expert

I was given the 4.0 driver set from Hauppauge and it seems better but still only detects about 7 stations. It think if I put them in manually they may work. I just have to figure out what the manual channels are.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Question HVR-1600 #74551

I recently acquired a HVR-1600, but found that it was the 'Non-QAM' model 74551.. not giving up, I wrote Hauppauge to ask about it and to ask whether or not it would EVER support QAM.. here is what I got as a reply.. can anybody confirm or deny their reply????

---------

The 74551 is the MCE version of the 1600. Because Microsoft does not
currently support QAM in Media Center we do not list the MCE version of the
1600 supporting QAM to avoid confusion on the part of the customer but it
should
do clear QAM if you are using the WinTV application.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Sage User

Channel Mapping......

I started this thread to help everyone,

Post #2
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...48&postcount=2

is a good start, everybody has diffrent setups so modification is always needed. Using a Satellite Line-up is OK! you need to match Channel Call letters ((WFORDT) is my Local CBS High Def Brodcast Channel.)
On my cable service this is broadcasted on channel 433.
on DirectTV it is on 980. My 1600 number is 85-0-1.

using direct tv listing go to (980) Remap Station to diffrent Physical Channel(85-0-1)
*you can leave it this way if you want to be able select which tuner to record or watch from...(980) would then be listed and you know that it is the 1600 QAM...
or you can Remap to Different Logical Channel Number(433) to match your other cable lineups.

“433 – WFORDT – [85-0-1] VIEW REMAP”
WFORDT (WFOR-DT) Miami

I prefer to use satellite lineups, because local channel SD numbers usually match cable channels, just the HD and PBS channels need to REmap Logical channel numbers.

Patience is the best tool, don't be afraid to take notes! re-read my first 2 posts. and a little sweat now will pay-off later...once you get this down you'll see it is not that complicated. I also was getting fustrated, there was no sucessful walk-thru when I started. I had to piece it all together from scratch, so I know. Good Luck
Old 10-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Sage User

Hardware - signal strength.

There are alot of factors when your talking about signal strength.

My samsung tv pulled in all channels without any booster.

my 1600 not squat, and HDHR only half.

installed a good quality booster (PHILLIPS HD 4way) from circuit city.
along with a good quality 4 way splitter for analog....

Now ther is Peace in the world.

Sage is a 3rd party to Haupaugge so WinTV is expected to work better with their own products. but sage does work you might have a borderline low signal, where WinTV shows more than Sage TV. I had same problem at first.

Make sure any jumpers are as short as possible (not too short!) just what is needed, and that they are RG6 type (thicker center wire!)
I have a 4inch jumper going to my Splitter and then the other cables are just what i need to run to tuners and still keep cables neat and hidden.

Don't use a 30' cable to run 3' of distance....

Signal quality is a funny thing, you can't really measure it with any software, because there is too much variance. just make sure you do all that you can to make the clearest path possible.

Have Fun! just a note......I have a good friend that installs home theater equipment, The Kaleidescape System and all that stuff. the latest one he sold, the DVD server alonle was over $40k.
This system is nowhere near that quality, but for the $500-700 dollars spent
with hardware and etc. You get ALOT of bank for the $$$$.
and in some ways (placeshifter, customizations, expandability....) this system is better. I merged a picture of my son on a toy plane into the main background,it shows on all my TV's and placeshifter.I get WOW's and HOWD YA DO THAT. all the time.

Once you get things running , you can keep it solid running, by never touching it again. But you also have the option to upgrade to what ever the new technology is for low $, maybee a little work.

That was a little message for those getting discouraged Sage TV is the most stable user friendly software out there! and Hauppauge has always put out the hardware that is reliable.

NOW Where's my HD Media Extender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

6 hrs later, I think I finally got the whole QAM channel remapping thing under control Thanks guys! Got NBC, CBS, and ABC, which is pretty much all I really want. For some reason I couldn't find FOX though
Athlon X2 4000 @ 2.5Ghz | Antec Veris Fusion v2 | Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H | A-Data 2GB | Westinghouse LVM-37W1 37" LCD | 500GB Samsung | Hauppauge HVR-1800 | VBox DTA-150 | Logitech Harmony 520 | SageTV 6.2.10

Last edited by morfinx; 10-09-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
6 hrs later, I think I finally got the whole QAM channel remapping thing under control Thanks guys! Got NBC, CBS, and ABC, which is pretty much all I really want. For some reason I couldn't find FOX for some reason though
I have the same problem here in the Washington DC area. I can get ABC, NBC, CBS, and some others but cannot get FOX.

Weird...