SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Sage User

Video Card for Component Distribution

I need some help to determine the "best ($200-$300 range)" video card for my Sage system.

Here are the details:
House is wired for component signal distribution (7 coax to each TV). My Sage computer will be located in a remote utililty room feeding the distribution panel. My HD content presently is limited to OTA capture. I also have a Nvidia Dual tuner card. My video library is mostly ripped DVD's.

While I have one MVP now, I really don't want to buy one for each TV (I am also not waiting for the HD extenter). I think I should be able to get the same quality with my component distribution setup (right?), it just won't be able to show different channels on different TV's like the extenders could (am I missing anything else?).

I was considering a card like the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130082 EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

Since this computer will NOT be located near a TV, HDMI didn't seem like it would be an option.

Comments?? Guidance???

Local Sage Machine: NVIDIA nForce 680I LT SLI Motherboard, Intel® Core™2 Quad processor with 8MB cache, 2 GB of PC5400 DDR2, 7.1 channel Integrated audio, gigabit LAN, GeForce 8500GT 512MB PCI-Express video. HDHR and PCI NVidea dual tuner.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 AM
SageTVaholic

From what I understand the 8600 actually does a better job with the HD decode compared to the 8800. Since you are running XP and not Vista, you may want to make sure the drivers are ready for prime time. I think I read Nvidia is focusing on Vista for this series first. Personally, I am using a 7600GT in one of my clients, and I don't have any issues with HD playback. I also have an X2 4400 though.

OOC and OT - How will you change channels? Will there be contention over remote control?

B
Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Sage User

Channel changes are done via an IR reciever that is fed back to the Sage box.

Local Sage Machine: NVIDIA nForce 680I LT SLI Motherboard, Intel® Core™2 Quad processor with 8MB cache, 2 GB of PC5400 DDR2, 7.1 channel Integrated audio, gigabit LAN, GeForce 8500GT 512MB PCI-Express video. HDHR and PCI NVidea dual tuner.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Sage User

Most of these video cards have DVI outputs. Some have have DVI and VGA. I agree, anything over the 7600GT is overkill. You can convert DVI and VGA to component and do what you are wanting to do. The only question may be the length of the run to your TV. You might consider building a Sage Server in a remote location and a smaller client near your TV. That way you can get your signal to your client via cat5e and then video from your client to your TV via DVI or DVI to HDMI.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
From what I understand the 8600 actually does a better job with the HD decode compared to the 8800. Since you are running XP and not Vista, you may want to make sure the drivers are ready for prime time. I think I read Nvidia is focusing on Vista for this series first.
...so the 7600GT would work OK. Anyone know if the anything higher in the 7 series (7800's, 7900 or 7950's) would be appreciabley better?

You also saying that anything in the 8 series is likely to lack a fully developed XP drivers (ie those cards are more geared toward Vista) right?

Thanks for the replies...

signed
video card newbie/dummy