SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-12-2007, 04:22 AM
Sage User

Suggestion: Longer trial period

Hi

Can I suggest a longer trial period on SageTV. In my own case, I can really only work on my PVR project weekend and the 15 day trial gives two such windows. Even at that, I cannot spend full-time on the project.

It has taken me two trial periods to solve an issue with how I get pictures into SageTV from my particular (albeit unsupported) set up. (I somehow managed to hose my PC video drivers and had to do a complete OS re-install thus giving me a second trial period - not something I would care to repeat).

A 30 day trial would afford a lot more scope for experimentation etc. for users with limited 'hobby' time.

Now that I have solved my various issues, I'll be purchasing SageTV and a few client licenses next week. (if I had been limited to 15 days, I would not be purchasing as I would not have determined if the software worked for me).

Just a suggestion.

Great software!

Peter
Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

I second that. Network and other issues, esp. with MVP, plus diversions like business trips and so on, make 15 days too short.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Sage User

yes, I agree. It took me over six months to get SageTV playing without any gliches.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

I once dated a girl for 15 days who was smoking hot. 30 days would have been better.

Joking aside, I agree 15 days is to short especially for a total newb.

BTV has a 21 day trial. did i say that?
Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGster View Post
yes, I agree. It took me over six months to get SageTV playing without any gliches.
well, that's a bit much, eh?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Sage Icon

I don't know if you'll ever see Sage go to a 30 day trial. At that point it starts getting close to the point of setting up some drive imaging and doing monthly OS installs to keep Sage in free trial mode.

As it is, IIRC, a user here on the forum admitted to re-imaging his PC every 2 weeks in a long term effect to keep Sage running for free in trial mode.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Sage Icon

I think that SageTV should have a 30 day trial for both Windows and Linux versions. I have been tempted to try the Linux version, but without a trial, forget it! The 15 day trial was barely enough for me to evalulate SageTV on Windows. Linux would take longer to evaluate. Perhaps the Linux trial could be available to people who already purchased the Windows version - they are not likely to try to use a Linux trial version forever.

If a person wanted to use imaging to extend the trial, then it would be pretty easy to do it even with a 15 day trial - so I don't think extending the trial time to 30 days would encourage people to try to extend the trial forever with imaging. I think that most people who are seriously interested in using good PVR software, will purchase SageTV.

I would like to see an option, at a higher cost for unlimited free future upgrades, like Winamp and MusicMatch.

Dave
Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I don't know if you'll ever see Sage go to a 30 day trial. At that point it starts getting close to the point of setting up some drive imaging and doing monthly OS installs to keep Sage in free trial mode.

As it is, IIRC, a user here on the forum admitted to re-imaging his PC every 2 weeks in a long term effect to keep Sage running for free in trial mode.

Agreed on 15 days is too short.

I too imaged my machine a few times before purchase.

If you do that it encodes "TRIAL" randomly into the video, this is ontop of overlaying it on the displayed video. So if you play something with a trial that you captured a trial you get playback with x2 the "TRIAL". This is a major problem for someone wishing to reimage monthly.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Sage Icon

I forgot about the "trial" message recorded with the "trial" version. I think SageTV should be able to offer a 30 day trial. No one is going to put up with the recorded "trial" message to avoid paying for the software. The software isn't expensive compared to you system cost and the value that the software adds to your life.

I've been using SageTV for several years I plan to use SageTV for years to come, unless something drastic occurs, such as SageTV being acquired by another company that ruins it, or if a competing product becomes drastically better.

A Linux trial version would probably increase revenue for SageTV during the Windows to Linux migration, since there are probably many SageTV users that would love to rid themselves of Microsoft, at least on one system. People need to be given the opportunity to make sure that Linux will be a viable solution on their own SageTV computers, without the risk of purchasing software for a failed installation that will not be used, if the Linux migration is unsuccessful.

I suspect that most SageTV users become long-term customers. So, the short 15 day trial may end up reducing the number of long-term customers.

Dave
Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 AM
SageTVaholic

To encode trial onto all videos really sucks. If I were to trial it for thirty days... setup my favorites to record then buy it how the heck do I get trial recorded off the series I want to keep.???.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
To encode trial onto all videos really sucks.
Sage does not do this.
On MVPs/Placeshifters it overlays 'trial' on playback.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
Sage does not do this.
On MVPs/Placeshifters it overlays 'trial' on playback.
But adding Trial even in overlay ...... If I was trialing SageTV to be my main PVR. It would not have lasted 2 minutes if the picture had stated trial. My wife would have flung the server and me out the window :-).

Perhaps have the ability to request an extra 15 day trial period from Sagetv.?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
That person has got to be one of the inevitable cheaters out at 5 sigma.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Perhaps have the ability to request an extra 15 day trial period from Sagetv.?
Was denied, even though I have purchased 3 Sage products and need the extension for debugging to migrate to a newer version without disruption.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Sage User

The trial period is fine if you are only trying to get Standard Definiton to work. But, I've been trying for 6 months to get HD to work without stutters, even though all of my parts are supposed to be able to produce stutter-free VMR9 playback, they just don't. SageTV for HD is a joke. It works for some but not for others. If you are using the trial and it doesn't work for you, save yourself months of agony and stick to a DVR. SageTV is not there yet for HDTV. From reading and participating in these forums, it seems like there is a 50/50 chance that you will get it to work stutter-free.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
well, that's a bit much, eh?
I didn't say we needed a six month trial MATE. I was trying to make the point it can take awhile to get it running right. I am evaluting Client right now and have a problem staying connected to the server....we've (tech support) been working on it for a week now (agonizingly slow). We have yet to even come close to finding out why...eh?