SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hauppauge PVR-250 Driver version question

I've been happily using a Hauppauge PVR-250 with Sage for over a year. I decided to build a new box recently, and bought a new PVR-250 card. The CD that came with the card has newer driver versions, so I figured I should go with them, but now I'm seeing very weird video corruption on my recordings (not all, but some) so I'm wondering if I should install the older versions.

In device manager, the Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (Encoder) properties shows a driver of
Old (working well) machine: 1.18.21.22266 dated 9/22/2004
New (working bad) machine: 1.18.21.23257 dated 9/14/2005

The Hauppage website also seems to have this newer version as the latest available, although they refer to it as simply 'Name: pvr250_driver_118_23257.zip'.

I'm about to uninstall this latest driver unless anyone has any better suggestions.

The video corruption is hard to desribe, but it's as if there are missing I frames in the MPEG stream. If I just play through the material 'normallly', it looks 'sort of' ok, but if I start going backwards and forwards in my editor (womble MPEG-VCR) the image very quickly degrades to a complete mess - like an oil painting hit by a flame thrower...

I did some test recordings Sunday and they were fine; I then scheduled a recording Monday and it had this corruption issue. I scheduled a second one Tuesday and it was fine; I scheduled a third one today and it was bad again - so it's not consistent. All used the exact same settings. Since it's not consistent, it's really hard to test! Watching live TV always seems fine.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks, Chris

Last edited by Steerpike; 07-12-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

yuk - I first downgraded to the old drivers, but no change.

I then swapped the new card with the old card, and used the latest drivers with both, and the problem followed the new card. So it seems I either have a defective card, or, I need some updates for the new card that are not on the CD or the Hauppauge website.

Here's some samples of frames I see when single-stepping BACKWARDS through a recording. Playing forward looks much better, but is not perfect; going backwards highlights the problem.

and

and

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Steerpike; 07-14-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Totally weird - I installed the new card in my old box, and the problem still happened. Then I played around on the new box - I changed quality from DVD Standard play to DVD Long Play and then DVD Extra Long Play, and the corruption disappeared. Then I set it back to DVD Standard Play - and it was still fine. So then I put the new card back into the new box, changed quality settings from std->long->extra, then back to std - and now, the recordings are fine! I cannot get the problem to re-occur.

The only remaining test is to reboot the machine, and see if it returns after a reboot. Logically, I would expect it to do so.

I guess the lack of interest in this post is because no one is buying the old capture cards any more, everyone is going with HD? I must have Closed Caption support, and the PVR-250 is the only card I know about that supports CCs.