SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

Hauppauge PVR USB2.0 MCE version

Can i use the MCE version of the USB2.0 PVR with sage? More specifically, can i use the included 'blaster' that comes with this package:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116630

thanks
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Sage Icon

Like to know also -bump-

otherwise I have to go pvr500, and I read some mixed reviews about that bad boy
Old 02-24-2006, 03:53 AM
Sage User

The tranciever included in the Hauppauge Media Center Kits are OEM versions of the MS Media Center Remote (MCE2005 version) manufactured by SMK, and includes the remote, the tranceiver, and one Blaster cable.

The remote itself is physically smaller than the MS remote, and lacks the "programability" and backlighting of the MS remote.

As for functionality with SageTV. Yes... it will work with SageTV, but it will take some time to configure.

To use the blaster, you will need to use a third-party driver for the remote (mceir - avalable at http://sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/MceRemote) and girder with the MCEremote plugin. the link above give a tutorial for configuring the blaster for use with SageTV.

There is one flaw with the Hauppauge MCE remote blaster... Blaster port 1 does not work. Blaster port 2 works properly. I don't know if this is a problem with the tranciever or the driver.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy
Like to know also -bump-

otherwise I have to go pvr500, and I read some mixed reviews about that bad boy

PVR500 is fine. Unless you have a Via board or some other issues with it (PEBKAC, drivers, etc) YMMV but I get good PQ and performance out of my 500
Old 02-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Sage Icon

the need for girder pretty much makes this a no go for me...
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Old 02-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Sage User

I don't understand why Girder would be necessary. Just the USBUIRT and the Sage plugin were all I needed to get the USBUIRT to work with any remote in Sage. I did not need anything more for Sage, but I wanted to control other programs on the computer through the USBUIRT (e.g., the Cineplayer DVD Player). I tried HIP (which is free), and was very pleased with it. I am one of those users that does not really understand what goes on with the USBUIRT and the computer when I push the buttons on the remote, but it only took me about 20 minutes to get the USBUIRT working with other programs using HIP, and it had no negative effect on the use of the USBUIRT in Sage. The link to HIP is: http://www.byremote.com.au/HIP/
Old 02-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Sage User

Sorry - just realized the USBUIRT was not in the mix. I would suggest that you try HIP, though, before your rule out the MCE version of the USB2.0 PVR
Old 02-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage Icon

i might look into it. As it stands now, my once dead onboard NIC is mysteriously working again freeing up a PCI slot...so I may just go ahead and get a PVR 150 that has support in sage for the blaster.
Juc

Old 02-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Sage User

HIP will work... but I have not tried it as I got Girder in a package with a firefly remote.

For detail on using the MCE remote with HIP, see http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...ssageID=152965

Your choice of remote blaster should be dictated by the equipment you want to control... The blaster on the PVR150 retail card can only control devices that are supported by the hauppauge driver... if you have some esoteric devices (such as an FTA satellite receiver) the PVR150 blaster may not be adequate. In this case an MCE tranceiver or a USBUIRT will be more appropriate for your needs.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Sage User

Blaster and remote from USB2.0 PVR MCE to work with SageTV?

So, did anybody get the included Hauppauge USB2.0 PVR MCE blaster and remote control to work with SageTV? If yes, could tell about your experience and what you had to do in order to get it worked? Thanks!
Old 04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

As long as you're running XP Pro SP2 or XP MCE there shouldn't be anything you have to do to have the MCE receiver and remote work with the latest beta. If you're running XP Home it's not going to work without a hack.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Sage User

Quote:
As long as you're running XP Pro SP2 or XP MCE there shouldn't be anything you have to do to have the MCE receiver and remote work with the latest beta. If you're running XP Home it's not going to work without a hack
I got HP Pavilion Slimline s7320n with "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 operating system preinstalled", so I guess it should work...