SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-07-2007, 08:57 PM

Unable to watch Live TV?

Hey guys! Perhaps you all can help me with an issue that I am having.

In my machine, I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 with IR blaster and a new Hauppauge HVR-1600MC.

We recently got a new cable tv service that requires us to have a set-top box. I have the Ir Blaster on the PVR-150 setup to control the STB and that works fine. However, I do not seem to be able to get Live TV through my HVR-1600. (Presently, I have my cable hooked up to the the HVR-1600. I don't have a splitter, so the PVR-150 has no cable hooked up, only the IR blaster/receiver).

When looking at the Source details for my HVR-1600 (SageTV thinks its a WinTV 418), theres a thing that reads, "Currently Being Used For Live TV: false". This is apparently true, as I try to watch tv and instead am stuck in the recorded tv mode. I can change changes and it shows up after a few seconds on the SageTV screen, but why is it stuck recording? Why can I not have my live tv?

If anyone knows of a way to fix this, please let me know. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Do you mean you are trying to watch it w/o it getting recorded? If so, then as this FAQ points out, SageTV always records shows you watch. Live TV in SageTV is playback of a currently recording show.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not sure I understand what you are describing but are you aware that the HVR-1600 has 2 inputs? One is an analog tuner, and the other is for a digital tuner. Maybe you have the cable hooked to the wrong input.. Oh, anything you watch with Sage is going to be recorded. As soon as you start watching something Sage is recording it.

Last edited by SprDtyF350; 07-07-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Do you mean you are trying to watch it w/o it getting recorded? If so, then as this FAQ points out, SageTV always records shows you watch. Live TV in SageTV is playback of a currently recording show.

- Andy
That is news to me. I had three Hauppauge tuners and SageTV6 in a prior DVR setup, and it did not record everything. I could actually watch the live TV. When I say "live TV", I mean that the red REC icon is not visible in the top right of the screen, and the OSD does not have a red recording bar on it. If anything, it would be silver or green, meaning that it was not recording whatever I was watching to disk. In my new setup, the REC icon appears every time I go to watch Live TV, and it never did that until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350 View Post
Not sure I understand what you are describing but are you aware that the HVR-1600 has 2 inputs? One is an analog tuner, and the other is for a digital tuner. Maybe you have the cable hooked to the wrong input.. Oh, anything you watch with Sage is going to be recorded. As soon as you start watching something Sage is recording it.
Yes, I am aware of the multipel inputs. There's FM, Digital, and analog. I don't have the FM or Digital antennas, so good 'old analong tv input it is.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopkinsProg View Post
That is news to me. I had three Hauppauge tuners and SageTV6 in a prior DVR setup, and it did not record everything. I could actually watch the live TV. When I say "live TV", I mean that the red REC icon is not visible in the top right of the screen, and the OSD does not have a red recording bar on it. If anything, it would be silver or green, meaning that it was not recording whatever I was watching to disk. In my new setup, the REC icon appears every time I go to watch Live TV, and it never did that until now.
I'm guessing that you were using an STV that didn't display the REC indicator, because SageTV has always recorded anything you watched, for as long as I've used it & then some.

BTW: what kind of tuners did you have? If there was some way for software encoders to skip the recording process, I don't remeber how it would be configured. But, if you had 3 tuners, I doubt they were software encoders.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Hey guys! Perhaps you all can help me with an issue that I am having.

In my machine, I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 with IR blaster and a new Hauppauge HVR-1600MC.

We recently got a new cable tv service that requires us to have a set-top box. I have the Ir Blaster on the PVR-150 setup to control the STB and that works fine. However, I do not seem to be able to get Live TV through my HVR-1600. (Presently, I have my cable hooked up to the the HVR-1600. I don't have a splitter, so the PVR-150 has no cable hooked up, only the IR blaster/receiver).

When looking at the Source details for my HVR-1600 (SageTV thinks its a WinTV 418), theres a thing that reads, "Currently Being Used For Live TV: false". This is apparently true, as I try to watch tv and instead am stuck in the recorded tv mode. I can change changes and it shows up after a few seconds on the SageTV screen, but why is it stuck recording? Why can I not have my live tv?

If anyone knows of a way to fix this, please let me know. Thank you!
I can think of one (we both have a similar set up, except that I don't use an external cable box).....

If you're recording one channel and then change this channel to watch another, it will tune on the other tuner if they're both analog tuners and the channels are analog. It's actually quite intelligent in that regard. Despite how many tuners you have, it will keep recording what you were watching while recording the other if it can on another tuner.

There's a short delay between live TV and when it's played. Basically, it's the time-shifting. Doesn't Tivo do this also? That's why they say not to hook up something like a video game player to Sage or to Tivo for this reason.

Lauren

Last edited by laurenglenn; 07-08-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:19 PM

My previous setup included a Hauppauge PVR-150 and a Hauppauge PVR-500 (dual tuner).

I understand the whole time-shifting concept. It's just weird to all of a sudden be stuck in a constant record mode. Not the temporary recording to disk that follows with basic operation of the tuner, but full-fledged, 2GB/hr record the show kinda recording, even after I exit Live TV mode (Have to go to Sage Recordings and press the stop button there to make it stop).
Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My previous setup included a Hauppauge PVR-150 and a Hauppauge PVR-500 (dual tuner).

I understand the whole time-shifting concept. It's just weird to all of a sudden be stuck in a constant record mode. Not the temporary recording to disk that follows with basic operation of the tuner, but full-fledged, 2GB/hr record the show kinda recording, even after I exit Live TV mode (Have to go to Sage Recordings and press the stop button there to make it stop).
But this is the way Sage has always worked. Since version 1. I'm not sure why you're remebering it differently. Anytime you watched TV and even as you changed channels Sage has always recorded and at the quality that was specified in setup. Mine is 3.2 GB. Now other programs go to a temp buffer but Sage never did.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Maybe there is something else going on here. How are you exiting Live TV mode? Are you using the Stop command to do so, or just going to a menu?

And, if you use the Options command on the Main Menu, what are the settings for Display Video on Menus & Video Menu Style?

When done with Live TV, you'll need to stop playback, and if you want it to stay stopped, then Display Video on Menus should not be "Always".

- Andy