SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Computer Sleep?

i am running 6.1.9 of SageTV, running the service and FSE mode on a dedicated computer that only does SageTV. does the sleep S3 mode work good enough to rely on? any tips on setting it up to work well?

Thanks

Dave P
Old 06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
I dont run FSE as it used to cause problems with sleep and sage, but that may have changed with the 6.2 beta. I don't know however so don't quote me on it.

The first thing you want to do is check your bios to make sure that you have S3 mode enabled. You may have to pay attention to what driver your video card uses. I use an ATI card and have no problems, but I have heard of some Nvidia people having issues after emerging from S3 mode. Finally, if your mainboard is not 100% compliant it may not work right at all and there really isn't anything you can do about it. I had to replace a cheap ECS with a Asus board before I got it to work right.

Once you have done all of that run the MCE Standby Tool which is located at http://www.xs4all.nl/~hveijk/mst/indexe.htm Extract it to a place where you can keep it an use it to enable S3 mode. Its ok if it runs all the time and shouldn't get in the way unless you are actually running MCE edition windows. Just go into its properties and disable it from starting it if you do. You may also have to use it to enable or disable certain devices from waking the machine up. A good example is your network card. Unless you have "Magic Packet" WOL enabled anytime a packet is sent to your computer it will wake up which is something you really can't control, even if its behind a firewall as windows periodically will send a broadcast over the network for various reasons.

Personally, I would recommend that you run Sage in standard mode, and not in service mode. Its not that service mode is bad, its just that when you are waking it up the service takes longer to recover and it stalls the front end for 10-15 seconds while its coming back up. Its just your preference.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am trying to use this MCE standby tool now and I get an
"invalid argument to time encode" error. Ever seen this?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

This is really strange to me. I did install an older version of the MCE tool and it installed without errors. It did insert the USBBIOSx to the registry, but it has no effect on getting my streamzap remote to wake the computer from S3 standby.

I have set my bios to wake from USB in S3 standby, but windows still shows wake from usb as greyed out for all usb devices. I have set up sage on 4 different motherboards in the last 2 years I have messed with this and I have never gotten this to ever work.

I will try to contact abit to see if there is something I missed, but they seem hard to get a hold of.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

ok Sage sleeps now but when it resumes by remote it is minimized. how go I get it back to FSE? any ideas?

Thanks
Dave P
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackham View Post
ok Sage sleeps now but when it resumes by remote it is minimized. how go I get it back to FSE? any ideas?

Thanks
Dave P
I set up a custom button for alt+tab to cycle windows, brings Sage back up if it ever minimizes.

One thing I have done with using FSE and S3, I set my remote to put Sage to sleep in the tray when I shut off the TV and also to wake sage when I turn on my TV. It seems to work more consistently.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

RE: I have set my bios to wake from USB in S3 standby, but windows still shows wake from usb as greyed out for all usb devices.

Where is that setting? I think I missed that step.