SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Sage Icon

MPEG4 / MPEG2 Problem

Hello - I've had an interesting problem for a while and I can't seem to resolve it. Perhaps someone else out there can help. I currently have Sage version 6.1.9.135 and Java version 1.6.0_01 on all my client workstations. Here's the problem: I'll watch all or part of a show or a few shows on Sage TV Recordings (mpeg 2 DVD Long Play). Next, I'll go to my imported videos which I have encoded in mpeg4 AVC format. I'll try and watch something and round and round the sage cursor will go. I'm forced to stop (or try and issue the stop command). If I do it fast enough I can but once the cursor starts going I have to control-alt delete and end task. I then restart Sage on the workstation and I can go right in to imported videos and watch my mpeg4 videos just fine. It's as if something gets messed up after watching an mpeg2 and then trying to watch mpeg4. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Sage User

I don't have any problems watching my MP4's but I don't have clients set up yet. Once I do, I'll let you know if I have the same problem or not.

How do you convert your MPG's into MP4? I tried Sage conversion but doesn't have many controls; only ipod quality. So I use PDQ for my conversions.

I'm getting an Plextor ConvertX PX-TV402U PVR so I can capture directly into MP4.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Sage Icon

I have same version as you and have no problems going from mpeg-2 to mpeg-4 except on one of my clients. I use the default decoders and overlay on clients and purevideo with vmr9 on server with FSE off on all. The client that gives me the same problem as you only acts up when in full-screen, I have it in a window and expand the window to take up most of the screen and it works fine. As soon as I go full-screen it shows black screen and the circle makes me dizzy...
Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Sage User

DVD, do you still have/use your Plextor PVR?
I saw a post earlier that you didn't like the quality of MP4 capture. That's why I bought this plextor for.
I still haven't been able to configure it to record in MP4. Any suggestions?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Sage Icon

You can set the plextor to use a default recording quality that is Mpeg-4 based. Or you could set a manual or favorite to record using one of them.

I hated the quality/filesize of the Mpeg-4 files. They are almost as big as the Mpeg-2 files. I typically use Max Mpeg-2 recording quality 5.9GB/Hr. Then cut out commercials using VideoReDo and then run that through Staxrip using X264. The results is a file around 110MB per 43 minute video and I find it hard to tell the difference between it and the original Mpeg-2, even on my 57" HDTV using component connection.
X264 is an encoder which actually encodes the video from Mpeg-2 to Mpeg-4(H.264)
The Plextor device uses a quick 1-pass mode and transcodes the video which is different from encoding it. Much less quality and compression. I gave mine away and replaced it with another PVR-USB2 device because the Plextor can only capture up to 6mbps where the Huappauge can do 12...
Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Sage User

I don't mind the size. I just want good quality and in MP4. I'll try your solution. If the quality is as good as 5.9G MPG, it's definitely worth a look. Thanks.

So far, I use PDQ to convert. Great quality but no batch conversion. I wanted batch conversion so I tried Xilisoft Video Converter: serious sync problems.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Sage Icon

Try Staxrip from doom9.org, it does batch encoding and I have never had a sync issue with any Sage recordings unless the video was corrupted. That's where VideoReDo comes in with it quick stream fix feature.

Staxrip is a pretty good tool for newbies. It does H.264 or Divx & Xvid.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Sage Icon

Right - but I use full screen on the TV in my family room and upstairs. I only use windows on my computer. Why would one not use a full screen on a client in the family room. So I'm thinking it's a Java problem (even though I have the latest version).

Mike
Old 07-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Sage Icon

I tried updating to the latest Java and the latest beta and sometimes it still gives me problems using full screen. I think the PC is due for a complete re-install...