SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-01-2007, 05:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Scheduling Oddities

Tuner swapping: Why is it if I have concurrent lineups being recorded on two channels at the same time with programs back to back SageTV decides to swap tuners in the middle? Monday nights it records the CBS lineup and Star Trek Enterprise on Sci Fi. Even though it's not changing channels in the middle it will innevitably swap tuners once during this period.

Heroes: I have Heroes set to be a favorite. I like Two And A Half Men and I've watched it but it is NOT a favorite. Heroes also comes on Sci Fi on Friday evenings. It is automatically favoring Two And A Half Men on Monday evening and recording Heroes on Friday even though the latter is my favorite. I've never told it to favor it over Heroes and in fact on a couple occasions I've told it to record Heroes instead but why is it favoring a non-favorite over a favorite? I shouldn't have to tell it to only record Heroes on Monday. It should always favor the favorite but for some reason it's not because it's also showing later in the week.

Any ideas would be great.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Sage Icon

I think what it is doing is looking for a way to record everything. Since you have watched two & 1/2 men and IR senses that it' a show you like then it wants to record it and that creates a conflict with Heroes. Sage tries to resolve the conflict by seeing if either program is on at a later time and since Heroes is, it resolves the conflict automatically.
Priority does not come into play unless Sage does not find a later airing of either show...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Does that mean that my only choice is to force it to record Heroes only on Monday? My only problem with that idea is if they change it's timeslot to a different day and I forget that I've set it to only record on a specific day.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Sage Expert

You could also tell Sage that you don't like Two and a Half Men; using nielm's web server it's pretty easy to manage upcoming recordings. You can also remove the Watched tag from older recordings, thereby removing them from IR. You need to make sure that you have negative profiling for IR enabled, however.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Heroes: I have Heroes set to be a favorite. I like Two And A Half Men and I've watched it but it is NOT a favorite. Heroes also comes on Sci Fi on Friday evenings. It is automatically favoring Two And A Half Men on Monday evening and recording Heroes on Friday even though the latter is my favorite. I've never told it to favor it over Heroes and in fact on a couple occasions I've told it to record Heroes instead but why is it favoring a non-favorite over a favorite? I shouldn't have to tell it to only record Heroes on Monday. It should always favor the favorite but for some reason it's not because it's also showing later in the week.
If Two And A Half Men is not a Favorite, how did you manage to tell it to record Heroes over that show at some point? IR shows don't create conflicts. Or, do you mean you created a Manual Recording for Heroes to record it instead?

Are you sure that 1) Two And A Half Men isn't a Fav? (outlined in white in the default STV) and 2) the Heroes Fav isn't set to record only on the SciFi channel? If you go to the Heroes Fav and use Additional Airings, does it list the one on Monday?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

I recorded Heroes as a manual recording to force it. 2.5 Men used to be a favorite. I discovered that it was conflicting with Heroes when Enterprise started airing on Sci Fi and I would rather record it. At that point I removed it from my favorites. When it comes up on my conflict resolution again I'll tell it explicitly to always record Heroes.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
... At that point I removed it from my favorites. When it comes up on my conflict resolution again I'll tell it explicitly to always record Heroes.
IR shows don't show up as or create conflicts, nor are they supposed to be able to bump a Fav to another airing in order to get a specific IR airing recorded.

Double check your list of Favorites for the 2 things I mentioned in my previous post.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

If 2.5 Men is a favorite and you would like to keep it as such but want it to still record Heroes on Monday than just change Heroes to only record from NBC, this way it will only record Heroes on Monday and disregard the Sci-Fi airing
Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Ok, I'll check this stuff out and try it for next week. Any ideas on the tuner swapping? Not really a problem but more of a slightly annoying oddity

Generally when it happens that I notice it is on Mondays Enterprise starts at 6PM then the CBS lineup starts at 7PM. Usually at 7PM it will move recording the next Enterprise to the other tuner and start recording on CBS where the other Enterprise finished up on.

Just wondering if there is a particular reason it would do this? Since it's scheduled to record all the Enterprise episodes on the same channel from 6PM till 10PM I would think it should stay recording on the same tuner. But it doesn't seem to work that way. I don't believe I have it set to prefer one tuner or the other. I've never enabled any of those options because it doesn't matter which tuner it picks.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:38 PM
SageTVaholic

If you have padding on your favorites, and you don't have it set to ignore padding on back-to-back favorites, then it's going to need a second tuner in order to pad both shows appropriately. If that's not what you want, turn on the option to ignore padding on back-to-back favorites (somewhere under Detailed Setup > Advanced if I recall correctly).
Old 05-01-2007, 02:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I'd have to check but I believe that is set.

The thing is that it doesn't always do it. It will swap once at 7PM and then the rest of the 3 episodes of Enterprise will record all on the same tuner. It's just that first episode of the night then it swaps for whatever reason.

And I think I've had it actually record the first two episodes on the same tuner then it swaps an 8PM. But I think it usually happens at 7PM.

But I don't believe I have any padding set. I haven't changed it anyway. It's whatever the default setting is.