SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Sage Icon

Sage Files - Saving them to DVD

I have noticed that if I want to make a DVD from the mpeg2 files that Sage creates (or many other mpeg2 files as well), many programs that burn them to a DVD transcode them automatically. This takes a very long time. It seems that many mpeg2 files do not need to be transcoded and can just be written in their native format. I use NeroVision and I was wondering if there is a way to tell it not to transcode when making a DVD or if there is another program I should be using (or if Sage can do it direct). I know that I could easily create data files on a DVD and there would be no transcoding, but I would like to save them so that they may be played in most DVD players.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Mpeg2 encompasses a lot of different sub-formats (pixel resolutions and bit rates), not all of which are DVD-compatible. Set your recording quality to one of the DVD-compatible formats and you shouldn't need to transcode. Last time I tried it, Easy Media Creator was smart enough to skip the transcoding step if the file was already in a compatible format. I've never used Nero so I can't comment on that.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Set your recording quality to one of the DVD-compatible formats and you shouldn't need to transcode. I've never used Nero so I can't comment on that.
Which formats are DVD-compatible?
I use the latest Nero
Old 04-30-2007, 08:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
Which formats are DVD-compatible?
I use the latest Nero
The ones that have DVD in the name such as DVD long play or DVD standard play. I'm not sure if any of the others are also compatible.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
I'm not sure if any of the others are also compatible.
In the default STV, it is pretty easy to tell which ones are DVD compatible -- when choosing a recording quality, they are the ones where the second line of the recording quality starts with "Format: DVD".

When creating a custom quality, the outputstreamtype should be 10. I think I read somewhere else that it can be 13 or 14 too.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Sage Icon

Right - I'm using DVD Long Play but I can't find an option in NeroVision to skip the transcoding process. You would think that it would be smart enough to know and the help files seem to be subpar.

Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Sage Expert

Well this is good to know.

I've been saving copies of some shows and just put the raw mpg file on a DVD as a data disc.

This is a tad nicer.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can use the DVD Burning STVi and it will only transcode when it needs to. Plus you get a fairly slick menu interface that is customizable.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Sage Icon

How do I use the DVD STVI? How do I get to it and burn a dvd with it?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
How do I use the DVD STVI? How do I get to it and burn a dvd with it?

Thanks,
Mike
You need to download the STVI and install it. Here is a link to the thread:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=21418

However, a word of warning.... you also need the Dynamic Menus STVI, and make sure you import the "Others STVI as well. This will save you a few days of tearing your hair out So before you install the DVD STVI, get the latest Dynamic Menus and install it FIRST...

Hardware, ATI HDTV, ATI 9550, all digital all the time

Last edited by Tander; 05-03-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Right - I'm using DVD Long Play but I can't find an option in NeroVision to skip the transcoding process. You would think that it would be smart enough to know and the help files seem to be subpar.

Mike
me either.
As to the previous post (Tander) about pulling hair out to get a chain of STV things going in order to burn DVDs - yikes. KISS please.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Sage User

You're right Steve.... I was getting close to having to join the "Men's Hair club"... so I've gone back to using Nero myself... much simpler right now until the new version comes out...

Old 05-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

It's all about the ability to read.

It's not that difficult. Besides there is the importer STVi for loading lots of STVi's and thus I can keep order in the chaos....
Old 05-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblaine2 View Post
It's all about the ability to read.

It's not that difficult. Besides there is the importer STVi for loading lots of STVi's and thus I can keep order in the chaos....
Thank you for the wonderful and positive comment about the ability to read, dlaine2. Of course I had to read your post 5 or 6 times to make sure I understood it, but finally I got it!

Also thanks for suggesting the STVI importer! By the way, I'm sure you read that Nielm who created the Dynamic Menus says that the STVI importer sometimes has problems with the Dynamic Menus...., and that Evilpenguin says his DVD burning STVi has had some problems with HD occasionally, (The root of my problems, but he is working on version 2 to fix it...)

Oh well, maybe I again just misread everything, so I guess I'll have to go back and reread them again until I finally understand.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

No problem!

BTW, someone on the forum posted a fixed importer that doesn't have a problem with nielm's Dynamic Menu STVi (both of them try to mess with the main menu and it causes them to hang each other). I've been using it for quite some time without a problem.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info... I'll check it out!