SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Sage User

DVD playback error in Sage v6

I get the following error when I try to play a DVD in sage:

sage.playback.exception:
Error(-8,0x2):
There is a problem playing the DVD content due to Macrovision or CSS

I am able to play the same DVD's using WMP without any problems. I have Sage setup to use the default decoders.

Can anyone tell me why sage won't play the dvd's? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Sage Icon

The built-in Sage MPEG decoder can't read protected DVD's, the CSS you see mentioned. YOu need to install and use a decoder that can read those protected DVD's. the nVIidia purevideo decoder is a good one, $10, or if you have a DVD software package, many of them include decoders that you can use in sage.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Sage User

I have nvidia's purevideo (bronze) codec installed but when i switch over to it in the advanced menu, i get video but no sound.

I must have a codec which is capable of playing the DVD as WMP has no problem playing it.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Sage Icon

Did you change both the video and audio decoders in the DVD menu to the nVIdia decoder?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Sage User

yes, both the audio and video decoders are set to the Nvidia decoder. I get video, but there is no sound.

I tried changing the audio decoder to AC3filter and leaving the nvidia decoder for video and that seems to work, but I'm not sure why the nvidia audio decoder is not be cooperative.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:05 PM
SageTVaholic

nVidia's audio decoder won't decode AC3 in SageTV, so if you aren't using S/PDIF output (and thus passthrough in the decoder) it won't work for you.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

So all I need is the nVidia PureVideo decoder?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli
So all I need is the nVidia PureVideo decoder?
Yup, the nVida decoder has everything it needs to unlock a commercial DVD. No need for any CSS-breakers or anything. Other decoders that do the same thing are included in the PowerDVD and WinDVD software packages.

The nVidia decoder is nice, since it use the power of the graphics card's GPU to play the video, instead of using the CPU to do the work. It will work on nVIdia and ATI cards, it isn't vender specific. I dunno, some of the others may use the GPU as well, I haven't used them.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hum, then something else is going on.

I have the nVidia PureVideo (trial) version installed and when I try to play a DVD using the ATI DVD player or Sage, it says it has a macrovision error.

Maybe the nVidia encoder/decoder isn't being used? Do you have to do something to it to enable it?

As a newbie, this is getting all too complicated. Sage v6 crashes using hdtv unless I have fill mode on, then it crashes hours later. Can't use VMR9 as it stutters. Can't play a DVD. Spent way too many hours here and on the PC trying different settings to no avail. Then find out there maybe a bug in the software, bla bla bla.

Frustrated.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hum, then something else is going on.

I have the nVidia PureVideo (trial) version installed and when I try to play a DVD using the ATI DVD player or Sage, it says it has a macrovision error.
Are you using Component output? Is your resolution >480p? If so, that's your problem.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I am using component output and resolution is 1080i. I did try setting my windows resolution to 640x480 (which is 480p right?) but it still wouldn't run. Even if it did, that would be a pain to have it set to 1080i to watch HDTV, then have to switch windoze to 480 to watch a DVD. How silly is that?

Guess this is a conversation for another thread but why would I have problems running 1080i via component since component is Analog. If I was using DVI, which is digital, then wouldn't that be a problem?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

DVD licensing restricts analog outputs to 480p. "Computer" outputs (DVI/VGA) are exempted from that restriction. This only applies to encrypted/copy protected DVDs.

Unfortunately methods for circumventing the protections that prevent upconverting are not allowed by SageTV, though there are several (easy) ways to do it.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well all I want to do is view a DVD on my HDTV once in awhile, without having to switch resolutions.

Can you imagine trying to explain to the wife that if she wants to watch a DVD, she has to exit Sage, go to windows display properties, lower the resolution, then fire Sage back up, and hope it all works (which it doesn't by the way!). The WAF would be -1,000

Still doesn't make sense. A digital connection, where there is absolutely no loss in signal quality, is ok, but an analog connection, where there is always going to be degradation of signal, is not ok. Guess another shining example of our tax dollars Hardly at work.....
Old 01-16-2007, 03:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well all I want to do is view a DVD on my HDTV once in awhile, without having to switch resolutions.
Like I said, there are ways, they're not even a great secret, we just can't discuss them here, per SageTV policy.

Quote:
Can you imagine trying to explain to the wife that if she wants to watch a DVD, she has to exit Sage, go to windows display properties, lower the resolution, then fire Sage back up, and hope it all works (which it doesn't by the way!). The WAF would be -1,000
Oh, I can imagine

Quote:
Still doesn't make sense. A digital connection, where there is absolutely no loss in signal quality, is ok, but an analog connection, where there is always going to be degradation of signal, is not ok.
It's not digital vs analog, it's "consumer" vs "PC" outputs. PCs were exempted from the restrictions. Consider that when DVD was created, PCs weren't even able to play DVDs. Initially you had to buy a special hardware decoder card because PCs lacked the horsepower to decode MPEG-2 (something that's trivial now). When DVD was architected, only consumer outputs were limited to 480p, PC type outputs were not. Further, HD outputs were probably not even thought about at the time. If they could go back, I suspect they'd either not place that limitation, or (more likely) would have made it apply to PCs as well.

FWIW, even on digital connections, I believe HDCP is required for upconverting (though I'm not sure of that).

Quote:
Guess another shining example of our tax dollars Hardly at work.....
It's not a law, it's part of the DVD licensing, Macrovision to be specific (IIRC). The Macrovision license prohibits analog ("consumer") outputs from outputting higher than 480p, and I think requires HDCP for digital connections.

It's a shining example of the stupidity of the content industry. I mean who would bother recording upconverted SD?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the explanations......
Old 03-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've also started getting the same error.
I have the Nvidia Bronze Codec installed
Im running 6.1.3, anyone have any suggestions ?

Cheers

Mark
Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

Bump
Old 03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
SageTVaholic

What output are you using?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi,

component.

I had assumed that was not the issue though as I can play DVD's from Windvd, WMplayer and Zoomplayer using the same codec setup as I have set Sage to do.

My TV does have HDMI, so I can use DVI if necessary.
Cheers

Mark
Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Hm, that's weird. You might want to run Deccheck and see what decoders WMP is using, just in case it's different than you think.

Other than that, I'm not sure.