SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Sage User

Capture error. How do I fix it?

I'm getting the following error: "There was a capture error in playback. Details error (179,0xo) There was a problem setting up software audio compression"

I can watch the video with sound from all four Hauppage tuners in mplayer. I can get Google video in Sage. Mad, Lame, Faad2 and Java all installed and up to date.
MVP and local client both show same error. No video or sound. Won't play live TV.

Running on Ubuntu 6.1. Everything else seems to work fine. Using a ATI All-in-wonder video card but not trying to use the tuner on that card. Asus MB with AMD CPU. I think that MB has nvidia sound.

In System > Preferences > Sound everything beeps except for "Capture" which shows normal dialog but no sound.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to try next?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Which card do you have? Only cards that capture in compressed mpeg2 mode are supported.

_Demo_
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Sage User

I'm a little hazy on the model numbers but I think 2 of the Hauppage PVR250s and 1 PVR500 (dual tuner). I've been using them for a couple of years with SageTV for Windows. Hard drive went out on boot drive so I decided to try Linux since I had to rebuild the machine anyway. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea but now that I've invested in Linux version of SageTV, I feel like I'm stuck on that path and have got to get this thing working.

Any help very much appreciated.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Which version of SageTV are you using and could you post the ouput of running the dmesg command?

_Demo_
Old 03-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Sage User

SageTV V6.0.19.1

Here's output from dmseg > dmseg.txt :
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmseg.txt (32.9 KB, 215 views)
Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Sage User

Oops I meant dmesg. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 AM

Could you try with 6.1.6 and did you try with more than one of the cards in the input selection?

_Demo_
Old 03-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Sage User

Yes, I tried them all. On some it will give me the error I mentioned at the top. On others it gives a dialog button that says something to effect that it is buffering video (I'm at work right now, can't remember exact wording) and hangs there until window (client) is closed.
The version I'm using is the one I downloaded from: download.sagetv.com/linuxweb/server.tar.gz
Is there another link I should be using?
I'll find the version of Sagetv you mentioned when I get home tonight and try that.
Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 PM

The latest beta is in download.sagetv.com/linuxbeta/server.tar.gz

_Demo_
Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Sage User

_Demo_,
Well I installed beta version using the command "tar -xzf server.tar.gz -C /opt/sagetv/server" and no difference. Interface looks nicer. but video still doesn't work. Same message but now error code is (223,0xo)

I've attached output from terminal when sagetv client is started and stopped from command line. Lots of exceptions in there though I don't know what is normal and what isn't. Lately it has stopped saving tuner config so I have to set up channels each time client is started. It wasn't doing that at first so I don't think it's related to capture error problem. But maybe it is. I might have done something when I was mucking about looking at files from the desktop. Though I don't see how since Ubuntu won't let me change anything that's not in home folder without using sudo from command line. Maybe I should delete the whole Sagetv folder and unpack everything again and re-enter key and re-configure?

Turtleman
Attached Files
File Type: txt sageout1.txt (8.2 KB, 218 views)
Old 03-24-2007, 10:04 AM

You should try to reinstall and verify the file permissions. Something is wrong with them.

Once that's done can you also attach a sagetv_0.txt (it will be in /opt/sagetv/server/)

_Demo_
Old 03-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Sage User

_Demo_

Success!!!
I deleted everything in /sagetv/server and re-installed beta. Works great.
Now I just have to get remote working. Haven't tried. Saving that for another week. Do you know if Streamzap works with this? I was using a Girder setup with my old Windows system.

Thank you for your help.

Turtleman
Old 03-26-2007, 09:04 AM

It should be possible to use that remote if it's compatible with lirc.

_Demo_
Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Sage User

Capture error is back. Same as before. It worked fine for a couple of days. Tonight I tried to put /opt/sagetv/server/startsage in System > Preferences > Sessions > Startup (Ubuntu 6.10 / gnome). And rebooted. It seemed to work fine until a scheduled recording started, then I got the capture error message. So I removed to startup command and rebooted. Same problem. Do I need to reinstall again? How could a startsage command break Sage?

I've attached sagetv_0.txt and sagetv_3.txt because it has something in there about a broken pipe.

Thanks,
Turtleman
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (1.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_3.txt (73.6 KB, 185 views)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 AM

The problem is when you put it in startup this way it runs with your user permissions instead of service permissions like it has with a init.d script.

I don't know why it is broken after that, probably a file has been corrupted.

Why would you want to put it there instead of in the system services?

_Demo_