SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Record "WATCHED" favorites?

RE: Record "WATCHED" favorites?

I've reviewed the guide and old threads on this subject but little has been said about this in almost a year. Perhaps an STVi has come along that can help?

I understand that I can use either of these two methods below (and probably others) to accomplish re-recordings of 'watched' shows, but they are manual processes and are easily forgotten (by me).

1) Use the web interface to quickly clear the Watched status - this is what I have been doing and it works well (until I forget to use it.)
2) Use the Advanced link on the Favorite to find future recordings and set those to record manually. This works too.

I'd like to see a Favorite option for "[] Re-record 'Watched' shows"

Is there an automatic method to accomplish something like this?

Thanks all, john
Old 03-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Use the Favorite's Advanced Options to clear all the Watched flags at once.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

The part I don't quite get is why you routinely need to re-record shows you've already recorded. If you know you want to watch them again, can't you just hang onto those original recordings? Disk space is awfully cheap these days.

Or is this more along the lines of "I'm so bored I'll even watch old Star Trek reruns for the 11th time"? In which case maybe the thing to do is to split the First Runs/Reruns option into three categories: First Runs, Reruns I missed the first time around, and Reruns I've seen already.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know.. I routinely find things in a watched status on my system due to someone leaving their player running or actually watched it, but I may have missed it, etc.

B
Old 03-14-2007, 06:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I don't know.. I routinely find things in a watched status on my system due to someone leaving their player running or actually watched it, but I may have missed it, etc.

B
Another reason for Sage to implement a multi user system with personal favorites, allowed channels, etc...

Come on Sage you have the Client/Server architecture how about adding multi-user capabilities into the mix.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

There was a case this week where a show favorite I haven't recorded/watched was *not* being recorded.

I looked at details and saw the original airdate was listed as 4 years ago, but it was actually a first run. It's clearly a Guide issue.

This was my problem, not re-recording Star Treks or having too little disk space, or my inability to understand the Sage manual.

In any case, adding the ability to override the "watched" flag would be a nice automatic solution to this problem for me.

john
Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmdxtv View Post

In any case, adding the ability to override the "watched" flag would be a nice automatic solution to this problem for me.

john
That is essentially what the "Clear all Watched" option does.
I frequently do this for kids shows, I only record 15, eventually Sage will stop recording because the kids will watch all the episodes, I clear watched and Sage starts over.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Camus,

I hear you and Andy, but I'm looking for a fully automated solution on a per-show basis. If it's not there then I'll work around it.

john
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
There was a case this week where a show favorite I haven't recorded/watched was *not* being recorded.

I looked at details and saw the original airdate was listed as 4 years ago, but it was actually a first run. It's clearly a Guide issue.

This was my problem, not re-recording Star Treks or having too little disk space, or my inability to understand the Sage manual.

But, was the show actually marked as Watched? From your description, it sounds like wasn't & your Fav didn't pick up that show since it wasn't a First Run.

If it was marked as watched & is the wrong episode, then there is a FAQ entry for contacting SageTV to let them know about EPG problems. Often, if one episode of a series has the wrong details, so do other episodes.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

I've submitted this new favorite type to Sage in the past...

Seems like it would do what you are looking for.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes Andy, the show had a white box and italic lettering during its original airing. I noticed that it was not recording but I did kick if off as a manual recording and did get the last 15 minutes.

I don't want to go complaining to you guys at Sage, the Guide, or the channel provider about the quality of the IDs (or whatever the problem is.)

I was checking in to make sure I wasn't missing some way of handling this automatically either through Sage or an STVi. Since I cannot, I'll just clear the "watches" every so often.

john
Old 03-15-2007, 05:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't want to go complaining to you guys at Sage, the Guide, or the channel provider about the quality of the IDs (or whatever the problem is.)
Sage pays for the guide data and if it's incorrect they should be notified. Without good guide data a PVR is pretty much worthless.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
The part I don't quite get is why you routinely need to re-record shows you've already recorded.
If you have children, you might understand this need more. Many of the shows we record in our house are for our kids. They don't want to watch the same show every day, but if a previously viewed episode comes on in a couple months, they are excited to watch again!! I'd like to be able to set things to just record every episode, no matter watched status. It would make things easier.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Andy,

I think that there are number of good reasons coming from a variety of users with "a" need to see a favorites function like this included in some future release.

[] Re-record Watched Episodes

Is there any way to get this onto a "possibilities" list?

thank you, john
Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Feature requests should be sent to SageTV.

- Andy
Old 03-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Will do.

Thank you, john
Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Andy,

I think that there are number of good reasons coming from a variety of users with "a" need to see a favorites function like this included in some future release.
Perhaps someone could write a plugin that would automatically wipe out the watched history of a show on a monthly or quarterly schedule.

SHouldn't be too hard to trigger the "clear all watched" function. Another idea would be to have it selectively wipe out watched status for all episodes over a certain age. For instance, have it keep the watched status of any show that is less than a year old, but clear the status of any older stuff.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.