SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Sage Icon

6.1.4 Metadata Properties Parsing

What files is the new metadata properties parsing supported on.

I've tried creating properties files for both Recordings and Imported videos and can't get anything to display.

I've had a look in the 6.1.4.4 STV and can't see where any files are being read.

I know I must be missing something obvious, but how do I get this to work

John
Old 03-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Administrator

It is for imported videos & music. I haven't had time to play with the metadata properties files yet... but, when you created your properties file, did you remove the import dir, wait until the rescan was done, then re-add the import dir & scan again? I haven't yet tried just rescanning w/o getting rid of the dir first.

Oh -- for videos, not all the metadata will be displayed yet in the default STV. Try things like the description, genre, and year. That might be all that the Video Detail screen shows for now.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks Andy

It doesn't seem to work with just a re-scan, but does work on a newly added import directory.

John
Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Sage Icon

are the metadata properties files similair to the .my files?
Quote:
Added support for metadata properties parsing. This will extract metadata from .properties files of the same name as a media file
Does this mean it will extract it to display just like .my files or does it extract it into the wiz.bin?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
are the metadata properties files similair to the .my files?
Does this mean it will extract it to display just like .my files or does it extract it into the wiz.bin?
They are going into the wiz.bin. Of course the question YOU want answered is can the data be searched? The search in the media browser view doesn't find anything as it defaults to only searching Title and Episode, but a quick change allows you to search on the fields you are after.

John
Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Sage Icon

So I guess my next question is how do I convert .my files to .properties files so they can be imported into the wiz.bin? And then how would I make that quick change you mentioned to search?

I am definitely getting ansy here as searching fields of Imported Videos has been a big elusive feature that I kinda need...

I hope I get there soon and thanx for the response to my question...
Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Since this metadata support has come at the end of the v6.1 beta, other searching & display options for this info in the default STV will have to wait until a later version. Something tells me there will be customizations before then...

You can search for the 2 lines starting with the following text:

VideoSearchList = SearchSelectedFields

You can change which fields are searched by the SearchSelectedFields and SearchSelectedFieldsRegex API calls.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
....Something tells me there will be customizations before then...
I'll start the ball rolling with Customize Search 1.0 for the Default STV.

John
Old 03-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

Thanx JREkiwi,

You are on the ball.

Can you give me an example of a properties file & what fields it supports?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Exactly what Is the syntax to the properties file. Are there samples etc...??? Is it in the manual??
Old 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

The syntax is the same as the other SageTV properties files. This is brand new -- see the v6.1.4 release thread for a list of valid property names.

- Andy
Old 03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The valid property names for music and video files are:

Title
Album
Artist
AlbumArtist
etc...
Is it like .my files?
EX.
title="Insert title here"
Album="Insert Album Name Here"
etc...
Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer
Exactly what Is the syntax to the properties file. Are there samples etc...??? Is it in the manual??
How about we ask it this way (I'm assuming this is core functionality and thus unable to be "found" by investigating the STV):

What are the "keywords" that can be specified? Obviously they can't be just anything, eg "MySuperDuperMetadataPropertyKeyword=SomeSuperDuperMetadataFlag" isn't going to register as anything in Sage (or is it?). Is it as simple as:

Code:
java.lang.String Title,         
boolean IsFirstRun,         
java.lang.String Episode,         
java.lang.String Description,         
long Duration,         
java.lang.String Category,         
java.lang.String SubCategory,         
java.lang.String[] PeopleList,         
java.lang.String[] RolesListForPeopleList,         
java.lang.String Rated,         
java.lang.String[] ExpandedRatingsList,         
java.lang.String Year,         
java.lang.String ParentalRating,         
java.lang.String[] MiscList,         
java.lang.String ExternalID,         
java.lang.String Language,         
long OriginalAirDate
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Opus's post here tells you all you need to know I think:

So for a movie it might be:
Title=This is the best movie ever
Year=2099

etc.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 03-09-2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: removed quote since Andy updated his post with more values.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Yes, that post is what I referenced in my link above, but I just realized that I goofed and only listed some of the valid property names. You can use the various role names for videos, but I need to verify some stuff before I post a more complete list.

Also, you do not need quotes around the text -- simply use the usual "propertyname=propertyvalue" format and be sure to keep each entry on a single line. You can separate people in a list with something like a semicolon (Actor=Jane Doe;John Buck;Sally Fawn;Yere Ling).

- Andy
Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Sage Icon

So a typical .my file like Lost-Enter77.my with the following information simply renamed to Lost-Enter77.properties should work? I haven't upgraded yet so I can't just test it out...

title=Lost
TVEpisode=Enter 77
TVOverview=Locke, Sayid and Kate investigate a strange structure and its mysterious inhabitant; Sawyer competes in a pingpong competition to get back his belongings.
overview=Locke, Sayid and Kate investigate a strange structure and its mysterious inhabitant; Sawyer competes in a pingpong competition to get back his belongings.
TVStartDate=3/7/07
TVStartTime=9:53 PM
TVEndTime=11:07 PM
TVFile=S:\Recordings\Lost-Enter77-6238182-0.mpg
TVFirstRun=true
TVFavorite=true
TVManual=false
TVLibrary=false
TVGenre=Drama/Adventure
TVActors=Naveen Andrews, Henry Ian Cusick, Emilie de Ravin, Michael Emerson, Matthew Fox, Jorge Garcia, Josh Holloway, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim, Evangeline Lilly, Elizabeth Mitchell, Dominic Monaghan, Terry O'Quinn, Mira Furlan, Rodrigo Santoro, Kiele Sanchez, April Grace, Andrew Divoff, Francois Chau, Shaun Toub, J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Bryan Burk, Carlton Cuse, Damon Lindelof, Stephen Williams
actors=Naveen Andrews, Henry Ian Cusick, Emilie de Ravin, Michael Emerson, Matthew Fox, Jorge Garcia, Josh Holloway, Daniel Dae Kim, Yunjin Kim, Evangeline Lilly, Elizabeth Mitchell, Dominic Monaghan, Terry O'Quinn, Mira Furlan, Rodrigo Santoro, Kiele Sanchez, April Grace, Andrew Divoff, Francois Chau, Shaun Toub, J.J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof, Bryan Burk, Carlton Cuse, Damon Lindelof, Stephen Williams
TVOriginalAiringDate=3/7/07
TVChannelNumber=5
TVChannelName=WCVB
TVChannelDescription=WCVB Boston (Manchester)
TVExternalID=EP6723620068
Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
Opus's post here tells you all you need to know I think:

So for a movie it might be:
Title=This is the best movie ever
Year=2099

etc.

BobP.

Hey, I can read, just.... not for very long Completely missed that. Thanks. I think I can work with that.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
So a typical .my file like Lost-Enter77.my with the following information simply renamed to Lost-Enter77.properties should work?
No; see my above posts about the valid property names. You would probably need some sort of .my -> .property conversion utility to help use your existing data. And, the property file needs the video.ext.properties naming style, as described in the release notes.

Note: I've now updated the list of valid property names.

- Andy
Old 03-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yet another gfile format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You would probably need some sort of .my -> .property conversion utility to help use your existing data. And, the property file needs the video.ext.properties naming style, as described in the release notes.
Why do need a converter?

Lots of people on this forum have been using my files for months, if not years.
Why do SageTV developers feel we need yet another format?

Wonder if this is worth raising as a bug!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:52 PM
SageTVaholic

because properties files do not need a Java parser written for them