SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

ReplayTV® PC Edition Now $49.95! ???

ReplayTV® PC Edition Now $49.95!

Looks like the software part of the business is not working as well as they thought.

http://www.replaytv.com/product_details.asp
Old 03-02-2007, 01:00 PM
SageTVaholic

I found it interesting that the company decided to refund $50 to everyone who already bought the software. I guess they decided they could afford to lose the $250.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan
ReplayTV® PC Edition Now $49.95!

Looks like the software part of the business is not working as well as they thought.

http://www.replaytv.com/product_details.asp
Keep in mind if you get on this bandwagon you still need to pay them $20 a year. And when you only support 2 pieces of hardware for tuners (PVR150 and the USB model)you're probably not going to get a lot of takers.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've always been a HUGE ReplayTV proponent (having owned 3 boxes) but frankly, ReplayPC doesn't impress me at all. I downloaded the trial version, and while it certainly did what they claimed it would do, when compared head-to-head with SageTV, in my opinion ReplayPC fails miserably in so many ways:
  • No multiple tuner card support
  • No integration with existing ReplayTV DVRs
  • No PlaceShifting
  • No Web interface
  • No DVD burning
  • No video editing
  • No HDTV
...and the list goes on.

Admittedly, many of these exist in SageTV as third-party enhancements, but the fact is they are available, stable, and very reliable. To me, ReplayPC is simply not there yet.

And unfortunately, my perception of the price drop is that I have to really question ReplayPC's long-term viability. Is this a healthy marketing move, or is this a last-gasp push to try to keep a struggling company afloat? ReplayTV has always been an underdog in the DVR world, and I have faithfully stood by then and pushed and pushed for enhancements that would please the customers, but requests have always fallen on deaf ears. With the likes of SageTV, Vista Media Center, BeyondTV, and a huge host of others, I have to question the real usefulness of ReplayPC.

To be fair, I do have to say that if you have a basic HTPC setup, are used to ReplayTV DVR's, and just want a solid PVR, you will likely be right at home with ReplayPC. It is solid, and it does offer lots of nifty features.

But I still can't help feeling that what SageTV is now is what ReplayPC could have been....

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Sage Icon

Sage vs. ReplayPC

"The Genius Is Not In The Design, It's In The Marketing"