SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

HDHomerun, OTA vs. QAM

Given that I can tune the same channels OTA and through QAM, is there any reason specific to HDHomerun, Sage or showanalyzer to choose one over the other?

I've got a Fusion card dedicated to OTA, and I'll certainly keep one of the HDHomerun tuners on QAM, but I'm undecided about whether to have a second OTA or QAM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Sage Icon

Never done OTA - but don't you get more channels in SD quality with the HDHR - don't you care about those?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbig119
Given that I can tune the same channels OTA and through QAM, is there any reason specific to HDHomerun, Sage or showanalyzer to choose one over the other?

I've got a Fusion card dedicated to OTA, and I'll certainly keep one of the HDHomerun tuners on QAM, but I'm undecided about whether to have a second OTA or QAM.
I have the same setup, and I went with both QAM just so that my antenna would not be split (originally into two tuners, but now just into one). My antenna is in the attic, so I was concerned how many times it could split.

The only other factor would be how often does cable go out in your neighborhood. I have my Fusion set to be the first priority tuner just in case, but if cable went out a lot here, I'd probably switch one HDHR tuner to OTA. Somewhat related is how often does your cable company switch QAM channel assignments. Comcast has been reasonably stable, but did just switch one channel. That could have resulted in missed programs.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius
Never done OTA - but don't you get more channels in SD quality with the HDHR - don't you care about those?
I haven't been able to pick up any SD channels, they're all encrypted. I get about the same amount of channels with each-- at least channels I care about.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Sage Icon

I see, so you probably don't do cable internet.. I have heart rumors about you people

Last edited by flavius; 02-28-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius
I see, so you probably don't do cable internet.. I have heart rumors about you people
Nope, I've got cable internet, but it seems that Comcast in South Jersey has a lockdown on anything that's not locally free. AFAIK, HDHR can only receive digital SD, and that's encrypted. If it were analog then yeah, could get it and I've got it with a PVR150.

I have one QAM and one OTA right now on the HDHR because I seem to get crappier signal when I try to do two QAM at once(which is what its been set at for quite some time). Having the second tuner on OTA may help, but I need to test it first.