SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bad interaction with Avast! AntiViru...Help Please

Hey all,

I just got the MediaMVP hooked up and everything works fine with the Hauppauge software, no adverse effects or anything.

However, when I boot the MVP with Sage, when I play something back my Avast AntiVirus starts cranking and does not stop. When I mean does not stop I mean not even with completely shutting down Sage and unplugging the MVP.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

If not, what antivirus should I switch to? I have had really had good luck with Avast and hate to change, but I will if I need to.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Hix
Old 02-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Sage Icon

Is your Avast monitoring your recording directories? If so, see if you can set up Avast to not scan that directory.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think this has something to do with the background scanning that Avast does all of the time on the network traffic. I realize that this feature is not necessarily needed, but since I started using Zone Alarm firewall and Avast! I have had absolutely no problems with Viruses, etc.

I may have to move back to Symantec AntiVirus. I can get that for free through work. I really do not want to have to pay for it.

Thanks thought for the advice. I will see if I can specify locations that it will not scan.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:52 PM
SageTVaholic

try http://www.activevirusshield.com

free kaspersky

b