SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

New ATI 9550 and DVI monitor = Bad PQ

I need some help! For over 2 1/2 years I have used Sage in my office with a 2.4G Celeron, 1 Gig RAM PC266, VIA chipset, Radeon 7000, Hauppauge 250 fed via S-Video from a DirecTV D10-100 and a 15", then a 17" square LCD monitor. The picture quality has been superb, Client works, Placeshifter works, all was well. Then I had this brilliant idea to upgrade to a Diamond Stealth ATI 9550 and connect it by DVI to a new 20" widescreen LCD. Well, the picture (video) stinks! Also I'm getting some streaking lines when I use Nvidia "Smart",
"Best Available" for interlacing. The recording quality is set to DVD standard 3.2G/hr.
The windows desktop and applications are crisp and clear, bright, couldn't ask for a better display. But when I try to watch Live TV through Sage, it's a blurry mess, looks like a bad JPEG with artifacting, and the colors are oversaturated and bleeding. I'm using Nvidia decoder 1.02.233, Overlay (VMR9 is a disaster - can't turn off CC, crashes). I installed the drivers that came with the Diamond ATI 9550 - is that a mistake? I have always disliked Diamond Stealth stuff, but I got a deal. Should I try a genuine ATI Catalyst driver, or must I stick with a branded driver?

I have tried every conceivable combination of settings - the best so far seems to be "let application decide" on a lot of the ATI Catalyst options, that way I can control things like brightness and gamma through the nvidia control panel (but not ALL the controls are active with the DVI connection). One strange thing - Pre-recorded Sage movies play pretty decent in Windows Media Player 11, as do MPEG4 files but appear a little washed-out. It
seems Sage doesn't like the new card / monitor setup. Any ideas? I have checked all the obvious stuff, like DX9 is up to date, monitor settings, aspect ratio settings in Sage tweaked, etc. Am I missing something? I'm almost ready to go back to my old Radeon 7000 and 17" VGA monitor! Maybe someone with a similar setup could throw me a few hints!

Thanks much,
Rob
Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

-bump-
Old 08-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Interesting....

Are you still having these problems? I just replaced my Nvidia 7300 with a 7600 and initially experienced poor quality on SD video - the Deinterlacing looked terrible. HD had messed up colors with vertical bands through it.

Apparently the Purevideo settings change between SD and HD content. I changed the SD deinterlacing which significantly improved it's quality.

The HD problem seemed to not be changed by any of the settings - it would occasionally go away but came right back. I was about to give up and look for a different decoder and decided to go to the 'Color' tab. I set it to 'Default' and everything seems to be working right now....