SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
I am just finishing mine up. It will be running in 2 weeks or so. Pics to follow
Painters start tomorrow, hopefully carpet by the end of the week.

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/viewShare...bBXiXp6w%3d%3d

Just click on the view album as guest link.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Sage Icon

There are so many things in this picture that make me blush, but hey, it's the living room and it gets used for a lot of other things. Our basement is completely unfinished and there will be a media room in it; my hope is to start on completing the basement early next year.

My equipment:
TV: Toshiba 46HM95 (Rear Projection DLP)
Computer: Dell XPS 5100C
Very small computer, hides behind the side of the TV stand, DVI->HDMI cable for 720p resolution (1080i capable but was too small).
All recordings are still done via a PVR250 and PVRUSB2 (yup, SD). I have an antenna for all HD watching.
Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR635 (5.1 Setup, but 7.1 capable)
Speakers: Harmon Kardon HKTS15 HT Speaker System
Console: XBOX (Original), Heavily Modded

Note that the screen says it is 17 degrees (Fahrenheit), it's cold! Yes, there is a guinea pig in the picture. Yes, there is a bottle of tonic water on his "pigloo". Yes, my wife has an obsession with Penguins. Sorry for the flash in the picture, it messes with the color of the screen, but you wouldn't be able to see things very well otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3071 (Large).JPG (100.8 KB, 567 views)

Last edited by KJake; 12-03-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
SageTVaholic

I just uploaded some new pictures of my setup running Sage

http://picasaweb.google.com/zadigian/Chivo02

Side note: Just on a whim, I picked up one of those fish tank ambiance DVD's from Bed, Bath, and Beyond today and I actually like it quite a bit. If I ever get some free time again, I'd love to make an import that replaces the stock screen saver with just playing the fish tank video on a loop

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 12-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Sage Icon

alright everyone--now that santa has come its time to show off your new sets!!
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
alright everyone--now that santa has come its time to show off your new sets!!
I had a lovely christmas thank you and Santa surprised me yet again.

The power consumption is greater in the new unit than in the old one. I've browsed through the manual but haven't found out where the hibernation setting is yet. I'll google it later unless anyone has any tips for me.

Here are some pics of both the old and the new unit, so that you can see the styling improvements.

As you can see in the last picture I've been polishing it already.

Last edited by doc; 01-02-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

On a more serious note, the only thing I got for my tv setup was a couple of mvp's I bought myself last week.

As you can see by the sage box next to the satellite receivers, the PC case matches nicely with the walls........

Last edited by doc; 01-02-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
Anyone wanna see a pic of a 20inch tv?

(thought not).

Give me 6 weeks or so, and my projector should be fired up!
*Poke*
Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknubic View Post
*Poke*
Heh.

When I saw this thread oop back up, I knew I'd need to post again.

I've got some pics on my PC at home. I need to upload them.

The room is pretty much done. I've got finishing touches I'd like to add (sconce lighting on the walls, rope light along the floor, add a ceiling fan above the seating area, stuff like that) but the projector is up, the walls and ceiling are painted, the carpeting is done and the 119" screen is hung with care.

The pics won't do justice mainly because the room is so dark. The front wall is black, along with the media stand I built. The side walls and ceiling are a dark chocolate brown. The carpet is a dark burgunday. The front row of seating is black. Back row is dark burgunday/brown. The overflow seating in the front is black kid's rockers.

Think of cave and you'll get the idea. I'm waiting for my dns settings to finish replicating on my webhost so I can link to some pics. Should be done by tomorrow. I'll try to post links tonight or tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Sage Expert

First, apologies for no sage screens in these pics. I need to take more pics with sage running. I also admit, I'm not using sage in my media room too much these days. I'm anxiously awaiting an HD MVP. I've got one client (laptop) that is barely capable of HD use and I do use that on occasion, but generally use a cable HD-DVR there. Once I get a couple HD MVPs, the cable HDDVR is going back.

Anyway's, here's some pics:

Room construction complete. but still needs a bit of work.

Not the best pic, but the work is pretty much done:

Projector in use. If you look at the bottom of the pic, the red light is the power light from my receiver. The green light is the time from the cable HD DVR. The green light from the left side is the power light on the HDMI switch box. Other than the pic from the screen, those are the only things you see when the lights are off.

Same pic as above, zoomed in.

I'll try to get the sage screen shots on this beast up in the next day or so.

-------------------
Pics removed.
Changed web hosting from officelive (mistake) back to google. Will take a day or 2 to get everything moved over. I'll get these pics back plus some sage pics soon (although also fighting an issue with my hd homerun so that may delay this a bit)

Last edited by ybrew; 04-06-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: changed webhosts - pics no longer available.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Sage Expert

I think my pics of the room make the screen look smaller than it really is. And truth be told, I'd prefer a bigger screen if it was possible. But due to the sloped ceiling, that's the best I could do.
The screen in the first pic is a 106" screen. That was replaced with the screen in the other pics - 119".

But really, 119" from 19 feet back really ain't that bad.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

How big is your house? that room is as big as the whole of my house....
Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
How big is your house? that room is as big as the whole of my house....
It's not THAT big (I live in texas)

It's a one story, 2850 sqft.
But it has a detached garage. The builder offered tons of garage configurations (and that's why I liked the house).
Our garage is 2 cars deep, by 2 cars wide (20x40), with a finished room above. The finished room includes the A/C chase in the front (2 feet deep), a 4 foot wide staircase, and a bathroom (5 feet). The entire space up there is 40L by 14 wide, but taking away the aforementioned dimensions, It's usuable 29x14.

I've got a very narrow room and when I first saw that room, I knew it was tailor made for a theater. Being a detached room, and having a 5 yr old son, I don't get up there as often as I'd like, but I'll be up there at 9pm central tonight watching Lost!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Haha
I think it looks great, ybrew. Congratulations and well done.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage TV project adventures:
http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Per_DigitalTV.htm

needs to be updated as I've added a few things since then.

Low end home theater project:
http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Per_HT.htm

-J
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Sage Icon

New HTPC...

Last edited by Polypro; 03-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
I try to look as non-tech and clean as possible so most people have no clue I'm a big-time geek.......but there IS an HTPC in there!

Home Theater 1
Home Theater 2 (just got TV that day....ignore messy wiring)
Home Theater Gear

HTPC Hardware: Kanam Case, A78NX, Barton 2600, 2GB PC3200, ATI 9600 Fanless Non-Pro, running HDMI to TV, USB-UIRT (as an IR receiver), RF/IR mini keyboard with built-in pointer.

HTPC Software: XP, Girder 3.29b, Powerstrip 3.73, Meedio 1.41, Sage, TheaterTek, JRiver Media Center, PandorMee, Yahoo Music

Other Hardware: Samsung HL-S6767W, Comcast HD DVR (HDMI), XBox (Component), Old Denon AVR-1700 which works excellent. DCM 12" Fronts, Polk Audio Center, Polk Audio flush ceiling rears. DCM 12" SW, IR Distribution Unit (so everything works with the door shut), Logitech Harmony.

Server (in back room): ECS K75A MB, Duron 1300Mhz, 512MB PC2100, Coolermaster server tower case, 3Ware RAID-5 Controller, 2 Hauppauge PVR-250's, 1.2TB RAID array, Netgear Gigabit NIC.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

sixdoubleo- nice and clean! Does your htpc in the cabnet run 24/7?... does it get really warm in there? I was thinking of doing something alike but was worried about heat.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Thanks!

Yes, my HTPC does run 24/7. It gets warm, but not too bad. Put it this way...I built those cabinets and that HTPC both in April of 2004 and 3 years later it's still cranking away.

Granted, I really should have built some type of ventilation into those cabinets, but I guess I wasn't thinking ahead. I am considering a fan at the top, blowing air into the sofit above and a vent down below...but haven't done anything yet.

I have experimented with various power down scenarios such as doing standby, hibernate, turning off hard disks, etc...but in the end I haven't found anything that I'm 100% happy with...so I just leave it on. The HTPC also does X10 lighting control so it sorta needs to stay on anyway.

You're going to laugh but my quick fix was to just cut a small block of wood out of 1x4 pine. It sits on the top shelf and acts as a stop to keep the door cracked open 3-4 inches most of the time. That's my high-tech solution to the problem.

However, if I want to close the door completely....say I'm watching a movie and don't want to see LED's, or I have people over and I just want the cabinet closed, I just close it and don't worry about it. I have left it closed for about 8 hours before and the motherboard's sensor (MBM) just shut it down.

For what it's worth, I think the Denon receiver generates more heat than the PC. So unless I'm really cranking the sound up, the heat really isn't a problem.

Either way, if I do anything like that again, I'll be sure to design ventilation into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
sixdoubleo- nice and clean! Does your htpc in the cabnet run 24/7?... does it get really warm in there? I was thinking of doing something alike but was worried about heat.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Sage User

Hi,

This is our setup at the moment with the media server downstairs distributing Audio & VGA to 4 location (ie the red patch lead). I am hoping to incorporate sage into the system in the next couple of days, have a look your opinions will be welcome.

Cheers Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_05260021.JPG (200.2 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_05260025.JPG (265.2 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_05260026.JPG (349.0 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_05260028.JPG (241.9 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_05260031.JPG (218.9 KB, 315 views)
Old 05-26-2007, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Jack,
Really neat looking system and home.

My wife would love you.

My system looks a mess....cables and wiring everywhere