SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Sage User

MediaMVP with wireless bridge

Currently a BTV user considering the switch to Sage. Running a trial right now. Everything is working great except my MVP on a WRT54G running as a wireless bridge. It skips and chops like crazy and is not useable. If I hardwire the MVP to my main Netgear router it works fine but running cable is not an option right now.

So here is the strange part. Using the same wireless bridge in the same location plugged into my laptop, Sage client runs just fine. No problems at all.

I have actually tested this with a Linksys WET54G real wireless bridge and get the same results.

So wtf? What does the MVP not like about my bridges? It seems clear that there is plenty enough bandwidth unless the sage client on my laptop requires less then the MVP but that doesn't seem likely.

Overall I have to say that Sage is pretty cool and when I hardwire the MVP things run like a champ! I am surely diggin' the software.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:10 AM
Sage Expert

i use my mvps with wlan game bridge 54g from belkin. without problems..but i test now the new powerline 200mbs from allnet and will switch from wlan to powerline. it works great with my mvps.
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to claven
I had the same problem.

I eneded up purchasing a buffalo technology WLI-TX4-G54HP WiFi to ethernet converter with MIMO.

I tried some others and the ones (basic g) and MIMO seemed to work a lot better.

I then traded out my Linksys BEFSR41 with wireless g for a Linksys wireless g router with SRX400 (MIMO) (WRT54GX4) Now everything works great at the other end of the house.

Just like you, running a wire wasn't a choice.

-Curt
Old 04-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have the same setup - WRT54G w/ 3rd party firmware setup as wireless bridge --> MVP. Works flawless. I know the bridge can be picky on the setup. I use DD-WRT one of the v23s (i think they are updated now), but modify it some to get it working w/ MVP. Newer versions may have the setup fixed in the GUI.

although i now see you tried the real bridge, so this is unlikely to be the answer.

Last edited by sabre; 04-17-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Sage User

I am wondering if it is a duplex issue. I believe the MVP is half duplex and I don't know if the wrt or wet autonegotiate well.

I guess it is time to dig up a cisco switch that I can force the duplex setting on.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Sage User

Duplex wasn't it. I'm stumped.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 AM

I really struggled getting a reliable wireless bridge setup using wrt54g's. Both my SageTv server and media mvp are bridged to a central ap (so I have a total of 3 wrt54g's). I tried several different firmware distros before finding that DD-WRT v23 using WDS works like a champ. WDS was the key for me, I couldn't get "client bridged" mode to work with the mediamvp. Until I switched to WDS I couldn't even get my MediaMVP box to boot (using either SageTv or Hauappauge's software) when using client bridged (sometimes called WET mode depending on the firmware).

What is really strange, I had a somewhat reliable setup with Sveasoft Satori using client mode on the two bridges. Using Satori the mediamvp would boot but I had other issues that caused me to switch firmware.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Sage User

MVP with Wireless Bridge

I am having the same problem, studdering video/audio. My configuration is a Cisco Aironet 1200 AP connecting to a Linksys WET54G V3 firmware 1.08. The connectivity shows 100% at 54meg but still have studdering Video/audio.

Dang I really do not want to pull more cable.....any thoughts??

Old 04-21-2006, 07:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by claven
I had the same problem.

I eneded up purchasing a buffalo technology WLI-TX4-G54HP WiFi to ethernet converter with MIMO.

I tried some others and the ones (basic g) and MIMO seemed to work a lot better.

I then traded out my Linksys BEFSR41 with wireless g for a Linksys wireless g router with SRX400 (MIMO) (WRT54GX4) Now everything works great at the other end of the house.

Just like you, running a wire wasn't a choice.

-Curt
Everyone who is having problems should do themselves a favor. Go to Best Buy and pick up the Buffalo bridge, plus a MIMO router. This bridge is awesome. And if it doesn't work out for you, BBuy has a 30 day return.

B
Old 04-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Sage User

Update

After doing further testing I got to thinking it may be a speed/duplex on the ethernet side of the MVP. I put a Cisco 2950 switch and connected the WET54G and the MVP. The choppy video was remarkably better but not totally eliminated. The bridge is connecting at 54meg. It appears that recorded video is better that live, so I need to do further investigation to see if I have a server Issue. None of the other 3 wired MVP are experiencing problems.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Sage User

I had a similar issue a while ago on my netgear AP running in bridge mode. I traced it down to the bridge's "auto speed detect" in the wireless set up menu. It would seem that the bridge kept trying to use higher speeds until the video stream increases (due to a pan or zoom etc...)

I changed the value to 36Mbps instead of "auto" and all is fine now.

Let me know if that works for you

--tim
Old 05-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Sage User

Did it for me!!

tlimon
I did as you advised and it worked, I left the Cisco Aironet AP alone, but changed the speed on the Linksys Bridge to 36meg from auto and it corrected the problem. All is well.....

Thanks for your help

-danny
Old 05-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Sage User

Smile

Great, glad to be of service.