SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Super Bowl XXXIX (Recording Quality Setting)

I have a double question here.

One: What quality would you recommend for Super Bowl XXXIX? Right now I have it at "MPEG2 Max Quality" though I have no idea how much hard drive space that will require per hour of recording. At DVD Standard Quality it is just under 2gigs per hour. What does MPEG2 Max Quality consume?

Two: When you are recording a movie from a movie channel when you can't sit there and watch it at their timing schedules and you want to watch it later on, what recording quality option do you most frequently use or recommend using?

Note: Hard drive space is at a considerable premium here at the moment until I buy some SATA drives. I'm running at 100 gigs free right now with 32 consumed. I've just been playing around with SageTV since I bought it and I've recorded TV shows that I would never watch prior, just to test the recording options and qualities and in general gain experience with the program. I won’t be running anything like a RAID5 storage server, just storage drives on SATA. I’m nowhere near an enthusiast that needs to have redundancy after redundancy to store their archives of recordings safely. Heh.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

One: MPEG2 Max Quality is a bit over 6GB/hour IIRC.
Two: I use DVD Extra Long Play for everything except sports, for which I use MPEG2 Max Quality.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
One: MPEG2 Max Quality is a bit over 6GB/hour IIRC.
Two: I use DVD Extra Long Play for everything except sports, for which I use MPEG2 Max Quality.
Holy crap... 24 gigs for a 4 hour event? 48 gigs if I record the 4 hour pregame.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Sage Icon

Outvit, which card did you end up buying? I've been experimenting with making my own custom recording qualities, and I've had some success in balancing picture quality with file size per hour.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
Outvit, which card did you end up buying? I've been experimenting with making my own custom recording qualities, and I've had some success in balancing picture quality with file size per hour.
I bought the WinTV PVR-500MCE.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

Would you look into your sage.properties and/or sageclient.properties file(s) and copy the lines that define the recording qualities, and then post those lines in this thread?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'll probably use maximum quality for the halftime show just in case there is another wardrobe malfunction (@)|( ) ...
Old 01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
I think the pregame is 6 hours actually last I heard it starts at noon EST.

I would just do the pregame at your usual standard (for me Standard DVD) and then just do the game at max. just be sure its clear of space to pull it off. I probably would add another hour to the buffer too just in case.