SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Recorder Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Recorder Software Discussion related to the SageTV Recorder application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Recorder should be posted here.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Sage User

SageTv and Sage Recorder in same system?

I have been running SageTV 2.1 successfully with a pvr-250 for a while now. But the other day I installed a trial version of Sage Recorder 1.5.6 so I could just hookup a vcr to transfer some old vhs tape into my system, Sage Recorder worked perfectly for that. However, once I started SageTV back up I could no longer select channels for viewing in the guide. Doing so resulted in an error stating it could encode the video stream. I uninstalled Sage Recorder but that didn't seem to help. The only way I could get Sage Tv to work again was to reinstall it.

My question is can these two programs peacefully coexist in the same system or am I off base here.

Thanks,

John
Old 01-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Sage User

I did some digging around and finally got SageTV and Sage Recorder running in the same system. I still don't understand why installing Sage Recorder hoses the SageTV installation, but if I just reinstall SageTV after installing the recorder and select the repair option SageTV seems to fix itself.

I have a pvr 250 and a pvr 150 installed in this system and didn't realize that the pvr 150 is not supported under sage recorder, and initially I was using the 250 with sage tv and trying to use the 150 with sage recorder and having problems. So I reconfigured SageTV to use the 150 and recorder to use the 250 and all is well now. I can use SageTV to watch tv while at the same time using Sage recorder to record input from a vcr.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

IIRC, Sage Recorder is SageTV, just without the GUI. Sage recorder probably resets the preference files which hoses the SageTV install.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:43 AM
Sage User

I was thinking about that early on after noticing there is a common directory in the installation tree that both Sagetv and Sage recorder seem to use so I installed recorder in it's own tree and it still hosed Sagetv. I'm thinking it has have something to do with some files install in the windows tree.

Anyway, it's working now, but that's for the reply.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:52 AM
Sage Icon

I'm curious, why do you want to run them on the same system anyway?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
I'm curious, why do you want to run them on the same system anyway?
The only reason is I only have one machine running Windows. Everything else is either Mac OS X or Linux. I have a spare 3 gig machine that currently has linux installed and thought about putting windows on there and running Sage Recorder there, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a windows license just for that.

But I'm working now and once I finish transfering the 100+ vhs tapes I won't need the recorder anymore and will likely uninstalled it.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

What quality setting are you using to record the VHS tapes?

I'm doing the same with tapes recorded at ELP (six hours per tape), so I could use some guidance.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASegredo
I'm doing the same with tapes recorded at ELP (six hours per tape), so I could use some guidance.
I would guess it depends on how many recordings are on the tapes. I had a couple tapes recorded at ELP with various movies on them. Granted the quality wasn't going to be better than what was on the tape, but they were obscure stuff that couldn't get again and I wanted to put them on dvd. I recorded each portion of the tape into sage recorder at the 2 hour dvd setting and burned each movie to a separate dvd. Yes it took a while but now I don't have to worry about the tape going bad, and the quality is no worst than what I originally started with.

One movie was pretty bad so after recording it with sage recorder I re-encoded it using TMPGenc EXPress 3 to run it through some filters to clean up some of the noise. It help a little but I'm not sure the result was much better than what I started with.

John
Old 07-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune
IIRC, Sage Recorder is SageTV, just without the GUI.

How do you use SageTV to record from the VCR? When I try all I can see is the cable channel. To record VHS I have to shut down sage and bring up wintv and use the record button.
thanks
ryel
Old 07-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel
How do you use SageTV to record from the VCR? When I try all I can see is the cable channel. To record VHS I have to shut down sage and bring up wintv and use the record button.
thanks
ryel
To record from a vcr you need something like Sage recorder, or just use the app that came with wintv like you already doing. I tried both and opted for Sage recorder just because I like the interface a little better and it just seemed to work better than the vcr app that came with wintv.

John
Old 07-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Heya,

Ya my interest in this is I have my main PVR with four tuners, while my game/main box with a PVR-500 for testing, and recording from my outdoor cam/VCR/other testing for recording. It would be nice to be able to have both installed without one stepping on the other.

Enjoy,
RedR
Old 07-08-2005, 02:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryel
How do you use SageTV to record from the VCR?
first you have to make sure Sage can 'see' the VCR's output, meaning connecting it eirther via composite or S-video, and setting up a new source in Sage using that input with no programming guide data.

This will appear in Sage as a channel with 2-hr blocks of 'no data' -- if you watch this channel, then you will get a new file every 2 hours, which can be annoying... You can work around this by setting a 'timed recording' and it will be recorded into a single file.

Not as easy as using WinTv, but no need to shutdown Sage...