SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Sage Expert

Is it "stutter" or "studder"? When I do searches, I always first try one then the other!

I saw nothing in the change log about power management. I have been having a problem with Sage crashing itself while returning the system to an S3 suspend after waking the system for the first scheduled recording after being suspended. Sage does not crash when I suspend and resume the system, only when Sage is directly handling the resume / suspend cycles.

Also, with regard to power management, Sage does not resume the system in the same manner that a keyboard, mouse, front panel switch or USB-UIRT event does. Sage uses some sort of "silent" or "limited notification" type Resume. The reason I know this is because my Matrix Orbital display always works (scrolls) after I suspend and resume the system but the display remains frozen when Sage resumes the system. Even more telling is Girder. Girder runs a group of "house cleaning" commands for me on a Resume event. Among these commands are: turn the power "ON" at the STB via a USB-UIRT remote emitter and re-enable the XCard driver. It never fails to work when I suspend / resume the system and would be obvious should it not work. It is a bit of a catastrophe when Sage always resumes the system "silent" and Girder never gets a "Resume Notification" and hence the STB does not power up. No STB power up, no recording for the S-Video input!

Lastly, I have found that Sage ALWAYS gets a case of the herky-jerkys (stutter / studder) when brought back from an S3 suspend state to "Live TV" mode. I have worked around that by having Girder completly close and restart Sage automatically on a Resume event. But as previously stated, Sage resumes the system "silent" and no Resume Notification is seen by Girder hence Sage does not close and restart under that circumstance; only when I suspend / resume the system does the closing and restarting of Sage occur. Did I confuse you? I almost confused myself.

Another thing I found with 2.2.2 is that I could actually get it to try and start a second instance of itself. This would result in the second instance freezing up at the splash screen stage and the original first instance usually locking up as well. This requires me to go into Task Manager and kill the two instances of "SageTV.exe" showing in the list of processes.

I did a bug report on all this (except the second instance thing) and hope something has changed with regard to power management but just didn't make front page news of the Change Log. I'm crossing my fingers.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 01-15-2005 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Sage Icon

After running 2.2.3 since it came out I am now experiencing horrible playback. It seems like it falls under the stutter category aswell, except it is constant. Nothing I do seems to change this... I was having stutters with 2.2.2 but they were not very frequent. Now this is actually happening all the time, funny thing is that it took a little while before this started happening.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:33 AM
SageTVaholic

yeah playback is still a big issue for me as well
VMR9 is still horrible and not using any power management except screen saver
Old 01-15-2005, 03:06 AM
Sage Expert

Uh.... Anyone else happen to notice that the splash screen says Version 3? It caused me to take a double take.

Last edited by DFA; 01-15-2005 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
After running 2.2.3 since it came out I am now experiencing horrible playback. It seems like it falls under the stutter category aswell, except it is constant. Nothing I do seems to change this... I was having stutters with 2.2.2 but they were not very frequent. Now this is actually happening all the time, funny thing is that it took a little while before this started happening.
Maybe it's just coincidence...

...I had a similar issue happen out of the blue one day. After some troubleshooting, I found that the 9.0c quartz.dll file was put back. I backrevved again and all was well.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Sage Icon

Had to go back to 2.2.2

Well, last night I had to go back to 2.2.2.....

My wife had enough of the video stuttering, and so did I.

As soon as I went back to 2.2.2, the video stutterting stopped and all is well in my home again.

I didn't see anything in the release notes for 2.2.3 that suggested that any kind of video driver or anything was changed so I'm really puzzled why the video was SO bad in 2.2.3.

The stuttering on 2.2.23 got so bad that when you were watching one TV show live and it merely went into another show (you know, there's usually a very small hesitation when it changes file), that the stuttering and freeze-framing would go on for almost 20 seconds. It would start the new show, go for about 1 second, then freeze-frame then stutter around for about 5 econds, then start the show over from the beginning then repeat the process again, then on the third time it would run what seemed like TivO fast forward until it caught up with real time and then all is well. The whole process would last about 20 seconds and would happen nearly every single time that you were watching live TV and one show ended and antoher show began.

Yikes!

Stacy
Old 01-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Sage Icon

I've had much less stuttering on 2.2.3. occasionally I'll get a pause in video, audio still playing, then video moves fast as can be to catch up. Might happen 2 or 3 times a day.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

There's no obvious change in picture quality for me with 2.2.3.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Sage User

For me, it stutters some times, then other times it's fine. I *think* it happens more often when I'm currently recording something else, but sometimes it happens when I'm not recording anything (I want to try to figure it out somewhat before I fill a bug report.)

Oh, and the MP3 VBR problem is still there, so it looks like I'll be using MyHTPC's winamp plugin for music.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Jaguar
Oh, and the MP3 VBR problem is still there, so it looks like I'll be using MyHTPC's winamp plugin for music.
I've heard that the VBR MP3 problem has been fixed for the next release, but no, I don't know when that will be out as I'm sure other problems are still being looked into.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Jaguar
If it annoys you that much, try this
Old 01-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

overlay to tv on 2.2.3 sagetv client

Hi all,

I don't know if its been reported but using overlay,on my client pc (ati 9700 pro), I can't stream tv to the client while my settings are in (ATI-> display propertie) overlay -> theater mode settings -> same on all.

when both my monitor (vga) and tvout (svideo) are connected and I try to view both (so i will have the menu on both), it does not stream tv.

it gives an error -4....
the pictures are taken via vnc from work and I will check again at home, that its the same error, but i am pretty sure it is.

I am using overlay and no 3d accelration.

I cannot use vmr9 and 3dacceleration since while in that mode I don't see hebrew fonts on screen, but tv streaming works well while in that mode, no errors.
Attached Images
File Type: png error sage.PNG (23.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: png error sage2.PNG (15.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 AM
Sage Expert

Thumbs up Great but...

i have no problems with the 2.2.3 version all is fine for me.

but i see no differnt between 2.2 and 2.2.3.

cu
DIBU
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 01-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I still have the stutter and sluggish UI in 2.2.3 on my test machine. Still sticking with 2.0.19 on main sage box until these issues are resolved....

David
Old 01-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl
I still have the stutter and sluggish UI in 2.2.3 on my test machine. Still sticking with 2.0.19 on main sage box until these issues are resolved....
Did you file a report? I realize you may have done so, but a reminder for anyone posting that something doesn't woork right: it is hard to solve a problem if no one follows through with a bug report.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

2.2.3 works excellent for me, no issues found at all (until now); in combinations with nielm's mp3fixer (which was the main reason for me to swith to the current beta) sagetv actually performs like a charm on my main-htpc
also the new sagetv decoder gives in my setup (phillips 32" pixelview) a little nicer picture than the nvidia one; although i had issues with the 2.1.10 release (had to go to the rc9) 2.2.3 performs excellent until now ..