SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Sage Expert

XMLTV EPG not updating, starting to drive me a bit batty

Ok, I thought I was going to be ok with this but its starting to drive me a bit batty. I posted the following in anotehr thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
The daily refresh that Sage does of my EPG dosen't seem to work right. Sometimes it does but I am finding that, once a week, I have to delete my sources in the 'setup wizard' and re-add them to get the epg to update (yes I have tried the adding/removing a channel and other means to force an EPG refresh). I think the problem is the plugin because when I re-add the sources, it takes a couple of tries. What I mean by that is I will choose XMLTV lineup and it will hang on 'importing' the epg. The tough thing is, I know it takes a bit to load all the data, so I have to let it wait for a couple hours before I know it has hung and close Sage and re-try the import.
I have a bat file that runs all my stuff every 3 days. The last one ran yesterday and, since yesterday at ~2pm (+8 GMT) I get nothing but 'no data' across the board. This happens every week till I delete all sources and re add them. Of course, I checked the file epgdata.xml and it has data for every channel I checked till the 20th. I am using a grabber (the excellent TVxb) for my local channels and the data provided by htpc-gear.com and running TV_cat on them to output one sorted xml file.
I am using this: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&threadid=2234 XMLTV plugin. My EPG is rather large ~5megs but I see the NA EPG can be upwards of 10 megs so I do not think that is it.

I do not know what the problem is and I thought I'd be ok with deleting/readding the sources every week or so, but doing so cost me the full recording of the Survivor finale (yeah I watch Survivor I am not proud of it ) and I have had enough.

Any ideas? Is there any way to get a dump log of the XMLTV refresh? Please any ideas/help would be most welcome. Without guidedata, Sage becomes rather useless. I can email/yousendit/whatever my current XML. I'd be happy to post my properties file. As a note, this XML works fine for the MCE webguide2 import.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Most of the plugins are not very resilient to bad XML data: a small error in the XML will cause an import failure, which may be what you are seeing.

There is a plugin tester which calls the importer while pretending to be Sage, which with you can do trial-runs outside of sage that will log the resulting error that prevents Sage from doing the import..

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...ester#post7250

(or here for one that works with multiple lineups, and gives a bit more info:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...ster#post15744)
Old 12-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Sage Icon

It is like nielm says.

I use Tvxb as well for the local channels. Its data is not perfect so....
When I first define a source, it always hangs. What I do is back out then restart SageTv. Usually the data goes into the EPG.

But this only happens at source definition ie only once!
Every time I grab a new file, I go into channel setup, toggle one of the channels on/off (this forces an epg update) then close sagetv (if nothing happens), restart and the data loads.

From what you are saying, you expect that once you place the epgdata.xml in the SageTV dir, it should be read immediately.

This is not the case, SageTV reads the file once over 24hours. The count starts on each epg update.

eg. if you create a source at 3pm today, then if you don't toggle any channels to force an update, SageTV will read the xml file again 3pm tomorrow and so forth every day.

Everytime you force an update by toggling a channel however, the time changes.
In the System Information screen you can see when the next auto update will be.

Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

So you don't need to recreate the capture source every 3 days after all.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Also, Some of the other XMLTV plugins do have logging settings that can be enabled... (If I recally correctly, by TallyHo and Demideus, I don't use them, so cannot comment any more than that)
Old 12-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks guys. I will give that plugin tester a try nielm, thats exactly what I was looking for. There are so many xmltv plugins now, its hard to know which one to use.

Quote:
From what you are saying, you expect that once you place the epgdata.xml in the SageTV dir, it should be read immediately.
I am sorry I was unclear. This is not the case. I loose guide data after 6/7 days ('no data'). My xml has 7 days worth of data. I have been deleteing and re-adding the sources about once a week. In other words, I give Sage 7 days to refresh the data. In no way am I expecting it to update right away but 7 days is a bit ridiculous. The bat file/new data grabber automation runs every 3 days so I should never see 'no data' unless the guide is not refreshing correctly, which is the situation I have.

Quote:
I use Tvxb as well for the local channels. Its data is not perfect so....
When I first define a source, it always hangs. What I do is back out then restart SageTv. Usually the data goes into the EPG
Isn't TVxb just an amazing app? I have a similar problem to what you described but I don't think its TVxb. TVxb produces a great XML. I tried it with XMLTV's US_grab and got the same problem so I believe its the plugin.

However, I would really like to know which XMLTV plugin you are using. If that refreshes Sage correctly, I will try that one instead of the one I am using.

Quote:
Everytime you force an update by toggling a channel however, the time changes.
In the System Information screen you can see when the next auto update will be.
Sorry, I forgot to add this: in the system information screen it says the guide was updated at, for example, 2:20am today. It says its being updated routinely but then I get 'no data' after 6/7 days.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
However, I would really like to know which XMLTV plugin you are using. If that refreshes Sage correctly, I will try that one instead of the one I am using.
I use the multi-xmltv lineup plugin that nielm has created.
It expects the xml files as 1....5.xml.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:03 AM
SageTVaholic

I am using this one:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...&threadid=2234
Old 12-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks guys! Looks like the problem is that, over the last 3 weeks, new channels were added to my EPG. I think the plugin didn't know what to do with them or something. I will see in a week if I am right, as I am making sure no new channels are added this week. If thats not the problem I will probably post again begging for more guidance .