SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question 2.1 Client Video Stutter?

Ever since I've upgraded to 2.1, I've experienced frequest although extremely brief video pauses. This occurs whether I'm playing a recording or from DVD. This only seems to be occurring with my Overlay renderer when using Sonic decoder. Sonic w/ Overlay worked just fine with 2.0.20... What gives?
SageTV Client, Shuttle SN41G2V2, Athlon 2500+ XP Barton, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, ATI9600 128MB, Linksys 802.11g, Win XP Pro, Sonic decoder
SageTV Client, Shuttle SN41G2V2, Athlon 1200, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, Linksys 802.11g, Win XP Pro, Sonic decoder
Old 11-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Sage Fanatic

Whatever Jeff did re-writing the code between 2.0 and 2.1 did end up with 2.1 not running as smoothly or as efficiently. Don't know if anyone has found a way around the flaws in 2.1 yet. Hopefully some of this will get fixed in a future release (which I hope comes out soon 'cause I'm ready to go back to 2.0 myself... too many quirks with 2.1 right now).
Old 11-21-2004, 10:42 PM

Just to add my voice to this issue... I also had clean and smooth playback with SageClient under 2.0 but under 2.1 I now have stuttering, jumpy, jittery playback. (about a 1/4 second jumps every second or two). It's enough to hurt my brain trying to watch.

I've reinstalled NVidia codecs, tried other codecs, non-overlay rendering, VMR9, etc, etc. I've rebooted and shut down every background task in sight. I've even increased the NumBuffers registry setting mentioned elsewhere.

My server machine has no problem. I'm on a hardwired 100Mbit network and all my PCs should we well overpowered for the job.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

definitely something odd in 2.1 the only codec that will play smoothly for me is powerdvd in overlay. i get horrible deinterlacing problems using nvdvd 4 in both vmr9 and overlay. sonic just stutters like crazy.

seems to be something wrong with the dxxva functions from what i can tell.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, same here. Mostly happens when I am watching something I already recorded, and a new recording starts up in the background.... then I will get a couple of pauses in both audio and video.

Hasn't been frequent enough to warrant going back to the old version (however I am prepared for that - made a Ghost image of the hard drive with 2.0 before the upgrade...I like to have a safety net!)

-Steve
Old 11-21-2004, 11:33 PM
SageTVaholic

after my reinstall, nvidia post processor running in DXVA with VMR9 seems to give really good playback
I have not been using the service though
I think I will wait for the update 2.2 or whatever
Old 11-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
after my reinstall, nvidia post processor running in DXVA with VMR9 seems to give really good playback
I have not been using the service though
I think I will wait for the update 2.2 or whatever

when you say reinstall, are we talking windows or sage?

i had an instance in windows where sage was showing up as being installed twice (both 2.0.19 and 2.1.10) i was also having music files show up twice under an artist name.

i uninstalled 2.0.19 and this is pretty much where the problems began. when i select nvdvd as my decoder of choice now the only way i can get the nvdvd task bar icon to show up is if i select nvidia post processor from within sage as my renderer. if i select just plain old nvidia decoder i get no icon.

maybe i just need to select nvidia post processor and put the dxva setting within sage to default rather than mode a thru d (haven't tried that yet) but with mode a thru d (usually d) the deinterlacing is terrible and i get random stutters to boot.

scrolling text on tickers looks like it's being doubled up. not even ghosted but literally two instances slightly seperated.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
scrolling text on tickers looks like it's being doubled up. not even ghosted but literally two instances slightly seperated
this will be fixed for the next version of nvDVD
after thanksgiving

Quote:
when you say reinstall, are we talking windows or sage?
windows

and I am running directx 9c so I cannot use VMR9 with anything but NvVPP or I get the stutter bug after FFing
I am waiting for my fix for this since
Frey has decided to make SageTV so much more Robust that they will not have time to support Studio for us average, incompetent users

I could go back to overlay but VMR9 does so much better with deinterlacing
try setting your decoder in SageTV to default

you can make sure nvidia is default by many ways which I am sure you know
or I can help with
Old 11-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

i have nvdvd as my default player through file extensions among other things.

the crazy thing with the tickers is that i didn't have this problem before 2.1...hmmm hang on a sec - i was also using the aopen version of nvdvd with no vpp prior to 2.1.

well crap!