SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-21-2004, 04:21 AM
Sage User

music jukebox folder.jpg

Hi

While I was using 2.0 I was using nielms combo stv and had all my album art as folder.jpg (hidden so as not to show up in the picture section) with no problems since upgrading to 2.1 I am having trouble getting all of the folder.jpg to be displayed, I have tried numerous stv's and some show and some don't, im not sure what could be causing this but it's always the same ones that don't show, if i switch back to 2.0 and use nielms combo stv they are all there, any ideas?

cheers
Old 11-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Sage Icon

If you're now using 2.1 this is built in and doesn't need 3rd party support. The setup is slightly different then in Nielm's STV so you will want to RTFM for setup instructions.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Sage User

okay but if it was a set up issue and all my music is in the same structure eg

artist/album/

mp3's + folder.jpg

why would some show and not others?
I checked the manual but can't find anything about jukebox album art, except the bit about the art being emedded in the mp3? Am I lookimg in the wrong place?
Old 11-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennington
I checked the manual but can't find anything about jukebox album art, except the bit about the art being emedded in the mp3?
That's exactly it -- unless using some STV that handles art differently, SageTV only uses the art that is embedded in the mp3 file [Edit: this is wrong; see below]. There are quite a few threads that mention tools to embed the album images in your mp3 files. Even Windows Media Player can do it. You might want to search the forum for such things as mp3 album art or some such phrases.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.

Last edited by Opus4; 11-24-2004 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:55 AM
Sage User

Ok Thanks opus4 , cayars reply suggested that folder.jpg support was built in in 2.1 and needed setting up differently. the thing is that some of the album art that is showing up isn't embedded in the mp3's , i've used mp3 tag tools to tag art into my mp3's before but since nielms stv came out I just used folder.jpg, and a lot of the folder.jpg's are showing up without showing any tagged art in mp3 tag tools?

cheers
Old 11-24-2004, 02:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennington
the thing is that some of the album art that is showing up isn't embedded in the mp3's , i've used mp3 tag tools to tag art into my mp3's before but since nielms stv came out I just used folder.jpg, and a lot of the folder.jpg's are showing up without showing any tagged art in mp3 tag tools?
In what STV? Showing up where? In the music jukebox or in the Picture Library? All images in the import lib dirs get imported into the picture lib.

For the default STV: folder.jpg is for imported videos; mp3 files use embedded album art. If one mp3 from an album has an image embedded, the rest of the songs from that album might also use that same image, but I've never tried that.

If you are saying that no song on an album has an embedded image, yet the folder.jpg image is being displayed as its album art... then perhaps I missed a detail for v2.1. (and I would like to know that)

v2.0 did not have any built-in thumbnail support for folder.jpg -- that was all done via custom STVs.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:59 AM
Sage User

Quote:
If you are saying that no song on an album has an embedded image, yet the folder.jpg image is being displayed as its album art... then perhaps I missed a detail for v2.1.
This does seem to be the case as I have just tried swapping one of the folder.jpg that actually show up for a completlty different picture and sage picks up the new picture so I know that it is not coming from embedded art, as to why some show and others don't i'm not sure. I seem to be having this problem with all the 2.1 stv's
Old 11-24-2004, 03:08 AM
Sage Fanatic

The ones that don't show up wouldn't happen to be in a progressive jpeg format would they? Think I saw something somewhere the SageTV doesn't display them properly or don't recognize them. Forget if that was in the manual or somewhere else here in the forum.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
If you are saying that no song on an album has an embedded image, yet the folder.jpg image is being displayed as its album art... then perhaps I missed a detail for v2.1. (and I would like to know that)
OriginalV2 in v2.1 does support <albumname>.jpg and folder.jpg-style album art for MP3's I will have to look at my system at home to confirm exactly what works...
Old 11-24-2004, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Thanks everyone -- I was just playing around with this when I came back & saw the latest replies. This was definitely something I missed in v2.1, since I thought the folder.jpg thumbnails were for videos only. So far, my test album only loaded folder.jpg, though. I'm checking to verify the exact details of this. <sigh> It looks like another manual correction is on its way.

(That still doesn't cover why some are seen & not others, though.)

- Andy, hating insomnia
Old 11-24-2004, 04:40 AM
Administrator

Since I'm awake anyway... I found some more odd stuff. The album art I was testing as folder.jpg displayed just fine as the album art thumbnails and as an image in the picture library. However, if I simply loaded the jpg into PhotoShop & resaved it, it would no longer load as the album thumbnail, but it would still display in the picture lib. I'm sending this off for further investigation. (Yes, I tried just about all the various jpg options in PS.)

- Andy
Old 11-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Sage User

cheers, at least I now know i'm not going mad!!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Update: I got word that the problem I mentioned (above) of resaving the jpg caused it to no longer be used as the thumbnail should be fixed in the next release. (And, before you ask: no, I don't know when that would be.)

pbennington: Were your thumbnails changed at some point, or are they the originals that never loaded in the first place? If it is an original, perhaps you could post one of the jpgs as an attachment?

I do know that my resaved jpgs will work when used as an orig thumbnail, since I made a new copy of my 'test' album, renamed its embedded mp3 tags for the artist & album, then set that new/resaved jpg as its folder.jpg. The tumbnail for the 'new' album loaded just fine. I also tested naming the jpg as <music filename>.jpg and that was loaded as a thumbnail also. (I just picked one song from the album to use its filename; the entire album used that one song's image as its thumbnail.)

- Andy
Old 11-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Automated Pic Download

Hey do you guys know a way to automate the pic download process to create the jpg file (for music albums? for DVD's- on the Hard Drive?)?

-Thanx