SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-15-2004, 03:52 PM
Sage Expert

SageTV and Girder Issue

Hi:

This is a question which might be better posted in the Girder forum but I figure there are no shortage of Girder users here coupled with being experienced Sage users.

In Girder, I have set up a multi-group for suspending the HTPC. Among a number of commands in the group, one of them puts Sage to sleep (Power off) before the last command which signals the HTPC to go into suspend. Two different events trigger the multi-group: power-off signal from the remote which is fundamentally directed to the TV but in this case also captured by UIRT and the other event being a 2:00 AM scheduled "MySafety" event (meaning I've nodded out on the couch; a bad thing since the wife exits sleep mode upon hearing the TV around 3:00 AM resulting in a kill function on me and the TV) which additionally blasts a power off signal to the TV.

Works great and repeatedly as long as Sage is NOT already in sleep mode. If Sage is already in sleep, execution of the multigroup halts at the Sage sleep command and will not complete execution of remaining commands (namely the suspend command and the TV off transmit command if the scheduled event).

This came as a bit of surprise. This is for SageTV 2.1.10 and the last Girder revision before going commercial (not at home and can't remember the rev.). I am using the SendMessage method.

My first thought was to try and use the keyboard command instead. I have not yet tried that but thought perhaps some one else has already been there, done that and has a more elegant fix for the SendMessage route. I am not opposed to a Girder update if this is something peculiar to the older rev. I am using.

The reason this is a problem for me is that I may have Sage in sleep and gone to watching live TV direct from STB to TV. My longevity still depends on getting the TV to shut off from a blast from the UIRT at 2:00 AM.

(The alternate method of using the TV sleep timer is only as dependable as I am in setting it).

Anyone know this one?

Regards,
Dane

Last edited by DFA; 11-15-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:48 PM
SageTVaholic

2 options:
1) Try postmessage for your sleep command instead of sendmessage -- sendmessage waits for a reply, whereas postmessage does not...
2) do an If WindowExists sage.SpecialWindow (in 2.1) to detect whether sage is awake, and decide to send power off based on the results of that...
Old 11-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Sage Expert

nielm:

Excellent. I was not aware that SendMessage required a reply (expected a reply but did not require it). Very valuable info not only for my current issue but for future.

There are some other locations in the Girder file that could have that same issue where I am expecting it to fall through the commands no matter what but may not because of using SendMessage and no response

THANK YOU.

Dane
Old 11-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Sage Expert

nielm:

I can't seem to get PostMessage in Girder to work. I have not yet tried option #2 because I'm stuck-on-stubborn due to seeing no reason that Girder PostMessage should not work.

For the Girder PostMessage dialog, I am using 1258 for "Message Number" and 44 for "Message Parameters".

The "Window Class" I am unsure of. I have tried "hSageTV" and "sage.SpecialWindow" with no luck. "Window Name" is not necessary to use as I understand it. Any ideas?

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 11-19-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA
The "Window Class" I am unsure of. I have tried "hSageTV" and "sage.SpecialWindow" with no luck. "Window Name" is not necessary to use as I understand it. Any ideas?
Same as all other SageCommands using SendMessage -- it needs to be a particular window of SageTV...

MatchHiddenWindows=yes
WindowClass=SageApp

(find should then find a single window)