SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Sage User

Recording all Live tv? ideas?

I have Sage Running while I'm not in the room/area..and it's recording everything on the live TV channel. I have a program selected to record in the future..but it just has been recording whatever Live TV channel I'm on... I killed the "intelligent" recod option..and other ideas what could be happening... ? (BTW..it's dumping the programs into the directory I have specified for recording and naming them like i was recording them.) -WInXP Hap Wintv250

Thanks again from this Newbie PIA!!
Old 06-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Sage User

It is doing the recordings for the ability to pause and do the fancy on demand functions. Sage will warn then change the channel to record the show you setup. Also the recordings will be deleted before any favorites or manual recordings. If you put sage to sleep it should stop recording live tv.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Sage User

Hmm..Is there a way to limit the record/playback to say 30 minutes or so...? Or is that the nature of the beast. I can see the drive filling up fast this way..
So If I pick a program via the IP in sage to record..will it change the tuner for me and then record UNATTENDED? Or are you saying I better have it on the correct channel prior to the record time??

Thanks again
Old 06-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Sage User

No way now to set the size of the file but about 3 minutes before the scheduled show sage will prompt you about the upcoming show and if no response will change the channel on its own and record it As for taking space those files will be deleted to make room for requested shows so dont worry.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-08-2003, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I can see the drive filling up fast this way..
You may know already,but you can tell SageTV how much space to leave on your drive from SETUP>DETAILED SETUP>GENERAL. It's the "Video Diskspace" option. This is closest you can get to selecting buffer size. But like, Mandrake said above SageTV uses intelligent deletion so it's no big deal.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:15 PM

The fact that sagetv puts these shows (ones recorded while just sitting on a channel, not scheduled recordings) is one reason that I am delaying buying sagetv. I am going nuts sifting through all of the "LiveTV" recordings all of the time. I would really like to see an option to not display these recordings in "Sage Recordings".

R.Smith
Old 06-09-2003, 02:19 PM

I have stopped using the SageGuide and use the Live TV guide now because of this. Since this is my only TV in the house, I often leave it on even over night. It was becoming a ritual every day to delete them - not because of the worry of disk space but because of the absolute clutter in SageGuide.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
I have stopped using the SageGuide and use the Live TV guide now because of this. Since this is my only TV in the house, I often leave it on even over night. It was becoming a ritual every day to delete them - not because of the worry of disk space but because of the absolute clutter in SageGuide.
By accident, I found that while in “Sage Guide” if you hit the “Play” button it will jump to the next heading like, “Live TV”, “Sage Recordings”…. It will scroll right past all the recorded shows.

I do have to agree though, I wish there was a way to filter out all the live TV stuff, and even the things that it thinks you might have liked...

CLIENT
AMD 64 3500, 512 MB Ram, XP Pro, ATI X300 Onboard Video, nVidia PureVideo Decoder, SPDIF Optical Out to Kenwood DTS
Old 06-09-2003, 03:09 PM
Sage User

I had expected a more standalone PVR type of behavior: save the current channel in a buffer to allow a certain amount of rewinding (30 minutes, one hour?), then delete it when the channel is changed or SageTV is shut down. I don't really want all these "temp" files cluttering up the hard drive.

If nothing else, can you specify that you want these buffer files saved in a different location from planned, scheduled recordings?
Old 06-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I actually like the idea of SageTV recording Live TV constantly while I watch it. That way I can always go back to shows that I've watched even if I initially did not want to record them. They get deleted anyway when necessary, so it doesn't cost any disk space to keep these Live TV recordings around.

What I do not like however is the fact that SageTV combines these recordings and my favourite and manual recordings together. That is where the real pain is. I'd like to see a hierarchy where the top level Sage Recordings screen has the following:

1) Favourites
2) Manual Recordings
3) Live TV recordings
4) Intelligent recordings

Drilling down into any of these would present the user with shows grouped into folders by show name (eg. Friends - 4 shows). SageTV already has the folder grouping capability. It just needs to add the top level menu as I suggested above and I believe that everyone's needs will be met.

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 06-09-2003, 03:37 PM
Sage User

<<If you put sage to sleep it should stop recording live tv.>>

How do you do that?

After using an UltimateTV for over a year, I've found that I almost NEVER watch live TV unless it's high definition. (Hate commercials!) I doubt if my watching habits will change with SageTV. Therefore it would be really great if I could disable the constant recording of unwanted stuff when I've left it on in the background to enable scheduled recording. In other words, give us a choice! Choices are good. <grin>
Old 06-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

I agree. I never ever watch LiveTV, but I never remember (or want to for that matter) to put SageTV to sleep. I don't need the LiveTV feature. Maybe it can be made optional? All these recordings are making me go nuts.
Old 06-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Sage User

I just noticed something that since I turned off IR I now longer have the live tv stuff showing up in my sageguide but the files are still on the harddrive I cant remember any other changes I made but you might give that a try
Old 06-09-2003, 05:52 PM

Yeah the last time this came up someone mentioned and requested that it would be great if they collapse to one file like "autogatorization". The good part was dkardatzke or maybe Narflex read the and posted. The bad part was that it seemed like he missed the begining and reason for the thread. I say this because instead of responding to the buffer shows issue. He expained to us how to turn on "autocatogorization". As you all know this feature, as it currentlt exists, will not help this concern of clutter.
I normally have my drive fairly full so this is not too much of an issue. However I reformatted a few days ago, and now have around 20(eck) bufferr files in SageTV. Please add an option to either:
1) not display buffer files at all, except x(0 to 3) most recent.
2) collapse all but x(0 to 3) most recent buffer files into one folder.

I chose 0 as start since the current show's buffer is easily accesed via the Sage channel.

Last edited by justme; 06-09-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:06 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

The most efficient way to use SageTV is to put it to sleep when you are not using it. That way it will continue to record but it won't think you are actually still watching live TV like a TiVo does.

Sleep is accessible from the Main Menu or just link it to the power button on your remote or a keyboard keystroke. To restore, either right click on the SageTV icon in the system tray or hit Power on your remote.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 PM

I understand that but a lot of us are buiding HTPCs. A lot of those HTPCs are hooked up to a TV. I want to eventually use mine as my main setup. SO... that solution is like telling me to turn off my VCR and TV when I'm not in the room so my VCR won't waste tape recording things I don't want to see. How many of us really do that? I'm not trying to be smart. I LOVE this product. That's what makes issues like this so frustrating. You are so close to TIVO(I have one) like functionality, that tthe few areas you are lacking stand out more. It's because your program is so good and that these issues have already been resolved on other devices that I hold you to a higher standard.

Your loyal and happy(not sarcism) cutomer, Mike
Old 11-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Sage User

Has anyone figured a way to disable recording live tv all the time?? I am using this for a trial basis it is very fustrating that I am recording to my hard drive all the time. I just want the ability to record when I want to record something. This is going to cause a lot of drfaging!

Bruce
Old 11-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Administrator

To prevent recording live TV... don't watch live TV. Any time you start watching live TV, it _will_ be recorded, until you put SageTV to sleep. (Might be nice if it stopped recording live TV if you are at a menu screen when the current show stops... and if there has been no input for quite some time.)

You can always simply have SageTV record only what you tell it to record by just setting your favorites & manual recordings w/o using the Intelligent Recording option.

If you want live TV w/o it going through the recording process, simply watch straight through your TV w/o going through SageTV.

- Andy
Old 11-17-2003, 11:05 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

I wouldn't be to worried about defragging if you are using a dedicated partition and 64k block sizes. (This is the recommended setup for using SageTV to get the best results)

SageTV is a true PVR application which always records and gives you the ability to pause live TV and record what you are currently watching. There is no way to stop recording Live TV. This is just the nature of the technology, sorry.