SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-25-2004, 12:57 PM

Xvid Problem

I did a Search and nothing came up.

For the Life of me I cant get sagetv to play xvid files in my medial library, It shows up on the list, it even tells me the running time of the file, but when i chose "watch now" it just crashes the whole program.

I updated all codecs, i have a Wintv pvr usb 2, Sagetv v2.0

My system consists of:
windows 2000 pro with sp4
p4 3.0ghz with ht
mb is an abit is7-e
geforce fx 5600 ultra 128mb
786mb of ddr 333 ram
a few 7200rpm sata hds

xvid files play fine if i run them tru other programs.

can anyone help me out with some help?
ive tried all those render settings, overlay, vm9, etc etc

is it that i have todo something special in order to make it work?
tweek some files? thanks for any help.

Last edited by ItIsHim; 09-25-2004 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Sage User

same problem - sage won't play xvid, divx imported files

I have the very same problem - most xvid files and some divx files crash sage tv. Just hangs and i have to control-alt-delete to shut down sage and restart it.

I'm using the Nvidia NVDVD decoder which is excellent, but it appears that this decoder is not used for playing video files from the library (since the system tray icon for NVDVD doesn't show up, and video quality is no where near as good as using the NVDVD player directly). Since my NVDVD player handles all files flawlessly, is there any way to get Sage to use it for playing the library files? Sage certainly has no problem using it for MPEG2 playback and liveTV but seems to ignore it for imported videos.

Alternatively, are there updates for the decoder that Sage *does* use to play the video files so that it can support more formats? It is definitely not directshow compliant as it stands currently.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymann
Since my NVDVD player handles all files flawlessly, is there any way to get Sage to use it for playing the library files?
No, that decoder is an MPEG-2 decoder, it doesn't work for Xvid/DivX/Etc.

Quote:
Alternatively, are there updates for the decoder that Sage *does* use to play the video files so that it can support more formats? It is definitely not directshow compliant as it stands currently.
Actually AFAIK, Sage uses Dshow to build the filtergraphs for everything non-MPEG2/DVD. So Sage should be using the same codec, and probably the same graph as Windows Media Player.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Sage User

i see. i guess the nvdvd player must be using my divx or xvid decoders then because it and windows media player have no problem playing the xvid and divx files while sage chokes on them everytime. I've checked the files using Gspot and they seem fine (ie - there are correct codecs installed to play them). It would be ideal to be able to see which codecs Sage uses - could be that i have an errant codec installed that Sage is using that is causing the problems where NVDVD player and WMP use an alternate codec to play the files.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

You could try ffdshow, I haven't installed anything but it or MPEG decoders in a long time, and it plays my (very few) DivX/Xvids fine.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Latest XVID and DIVX decoders are in the Gordian Knot Codec Pack

I am using Koepi's XVID decoder to decode both XVID and DIVX with no problems...

And yes, any media player including NVDVD and Sage will use the same system default divx and xvid decoders -- The difference might be in the video *renderer* used (VMR9/overlay/Default) in Sage..
Old 09-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Sage User

that is something i will try and report back on - i'm using VMR9 currently, i will switch to overlay and see if that clears up the problem.

I must admit that in general Sage seems more stable in overlay than VMR9 - i get stuttering video playback on recorded files if i FF or RW and sometimes have to hit the FF and/or RW button a few times to get it to play smoothly again, but never have this problem if using overlay.

Last edited by jaymann; 09-27-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Sage User

no luck - using overlay sage still hangs on xvid files.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Sage User

Any news on this, someone? Seems i'm not the only one, got exactly the same experience. (No crash, Sage just freezes)
Old 11-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Sage Icon

Play one of the files in Windows Media Player. While it is playing, go to File > Properties.

Post the file properties in this thread.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have you tried GSpot @ http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to render a file and actually see what codecs are being used and where things are going... might give you some idea where things are going wrong maybe....

All my xvid files have always played perfectly... I hardly watch DVDs anymore.. I rip them down to xvid first.

--Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymann
no luck - using overlay sage still hangs on xvid files.
Could you post all of your settings that are in your Detailed Setup -Video and Audio sections?
Old 12-01-2004, 01:23 AM
Sage User

Gspot gives
Video: (S) --> AVI Splitter --> ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder --> (R)
Audio: (S) --> AVI Splitter --> Moonlight Odio Dekoda --> Morgan Stream Switcher --> (R)

WMP9 lists the same decoders (only the last one in case of audio).

This path is teh result of instaling elecard decoders and Gordian Knot decoder pack 1.8.

In Sage: all decoder and render settings at default (because i thought it would take the same path as WMP9 then).

Can we have any influence on the decoder path (without having to deinstall codecs, that is) ?
Old 12-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Sage User

Solved (for me anyway)

Never mind all these settings. Today i went in BIOS and switched hyperthreading OFF. All problems magically disappeared. Everything plays without a glitch.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer
Never mind all these settings. Today i went in BIOS and switched hyperthreading OFF. All problems magically disappeared. Everything plays without a glitch.
Do you have XP SP1 maybe?!? I heard that SP1 had that kind of problems with HT, SP2 did address that issue...

Chris
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:12 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysek
Do you have XP SP1 maybe?!? I heard that SP1 had that kind of problems with HT, SP2 did address that issue...
Nope Win2000 SP4 it is, in my opinion the most stable windows version that's available.