SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Sage User

SageTV CLIENT need$ mpeg decoder?

Hi all...

Does the CLIENT require additional software or hardware in order to run on an XP machine? (SageTV server excepted)

I've bought client, but can't get video/audio... I'm asking myself if the client requires an encoder purchase to run...

Thanks,

-Frank
Old 09-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Sage Icon

Re: SageTV CLIENT need$ mpeg decoder?

Quote:
Originally posted by framage
Hi all...

Does the CLIENT require additional software or hardware in order to run on an XP machine? (SageTV server excepted)

I've bought client, but can't get video/audio... I'm asking myself if the client requires an encoder purchase to run...

Thanks,

-Frank
SageTV encodes in MPEG-2, which requires that you have an MPEG-2 decoder. It is the MPEG-2 format
(and its licensing) that requires the decoder. If your computer has a DVD drive then you already have one.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Yes, you need a decoder on the client for playback there. You may have a decoder that came with the DVD drive for that computer (assuming it has one). You can buy something like the Sonic decoder or check out Viewing recorded mpeg's on other computers.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Sage User

I like Sage and am happy with the SageTV product... it's great that V2 upgrade was offered for free, too...

That said, unless I'm the only one who's dunced this one, it might be worth a mention during the CLIENT purchase process...

It may seem obvious on the SageTV base product that you' d need a tuner card, but a Client requiring additional software might be a little farther stretch. Would you like tires with that car...

Again, I LIKE SAGE and would recommend it!

Thanks for the quick update!

-Frank
Old 09-06-2004, 07:32 PM
SageTVaholic

From the System Requirements
Quote:
Software:
* MPEG-2 Software Decoder (bundled with most of the above compatible TV tuner cards): Using Dscaler with SageTV requires the Elecard MPEG-2 Decoder AND InterVideo offers a MPEG-2 Decoder with their DVD Xpack.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Sage User

I just upgraded to an 802.11g network, figuring that I was getting no audio/video on my Client PC due to the slow unsupported 802.11b network.

But I still get no audio/video on the Client (the Server PC is fine). (Also when I choose Play DVD under Media Library (with a DVD in the drive), nothing happens. But I never used that before so I don't know if that's normal.)

The Client setup wizard shows no decoders on the "Please select the video capture device" screen.

Under the Detailed Setup/Video screen, my only MPEG2 Decoder option is "Default".

I do have PowerDVD XP 4.0 installed, and it is working. I also had the Ravisent DS 1.0 MPEG decoder installed (from TheaterTek), but I just uninstalled that decoder to see if it was conflicting (it made no difference)?

Any ideas? I have uninstalled and reinstalled PowerDVD twice now. It's frustrating after having spent the money on the Client software and on the 802.11g upgrade, which was only for the purpose of SageTV.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Have you restarted SageClient after installing/resinstalling those decoders? Sage only checks for decoders on startup.

FWIW, I'd install TT and use those decoders, I use Sonic Cineplayer Decoders (pretty much the same thing) and I love 'em.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The Client setup wizard shows no decoders on the "Please select the video capture device" screen.
You shouldn't see decoders listed in the video capture device screen, you should see video capture devices (which among other things, tend to have encoders built in).

Also, I'm a little perplexed as to why the client setup would be prompting you to select video capture devices. Although you can probably configure the servers' video capture devices from the client, it seems a little strange (as long as your server already has them configured then you shouldn't need to modify them).
Old 09-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Sage User

I was restarting SageClient (and rebooting).

I just uninstalled and reinstalled TheaterTek, and suddenly I had a "Cyberlink" MPEG2 decoder option (I guess that was the "Default" option before, and now TT/Ravisent is the "Default").

That actually works!

The weird thing though, is that the "Default" option does not work (no video/audio, and SageClient is extremely slow navigating the menus). But maybe that's just a problem with the Ravisent decoder... I can mess with that later.

I think Sage should have this stuff in the FAQ and in the setup instructions (did I miss it?) And it would be nice if there was some kind of configuration test that could tell the user what is broken.

Oh well, thanks for the help!!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by jklenk
I just uninstalled and reinstalled TheaterTek, and suddenly I had a "Cyberlink" MPEG2 decoder option (I guess that was the "Default" option before, and now TT/Ravisent is the "Default").
FWIW, Sage will list all the MPEG decoders it finds that it knows about (if your TT decoders are still called Ravisent they're probably rather old and Sage doesn't know about them), Sage doesn't pick a Default decoder, or hide any of them under that name.

By selecting Default, Sage tells Directshow to use whatever filter has the highest merit, could be Cyberlink on your system, could be Ravisent could be something else.